Exotic Pad Thai

We had home-cooked pad thai the other night. It's a popular Thai dish that's similar to Filipino pancit (stir-fried noodles), but the noodles are translucent, wide and flat. This version had shrimp, chicken, eggs, tofu, peanuts, and green onion, then you squeeze lime on it before eating. It's nice when someone cooks exotic dishes once in a while. Who in your house cooks exotic dishes? Or do you prefer to go out and eat them onsite?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Pad thai Pad thai from a street stall in Chiang Mai Alternative names phad thai, phat thai (also with the capitalized T) Type Rice noodles Place of origin Thailand Associated national cuisin
• Denmark
In our house, nobody cooks exotic dishes. We occasionally order Indian food and eat it at home.
i like chicken curry, if it isn't too spicy, but that's pretty common, not exotic. what indian food do you like to order?
• Denmark
@hereandthere I can't tell you by heart. I'd have to check the menu.
• Denmark
@hereandthere It's exotic if you live in Central Europe.:-)
For exotic dishes, we go out. Easier that way.
i agree. the second best thing is having a family member who likes experimenting. so which exotic cuisines do you try?
@hereandthere Oh no. I really do not like to cook or bake, at all. I am a vegetarian who is not all that crazy about food. My mom wanted to teach me to cook and back, but she gave up because she said all I did was study and I always told her I did not have time to learn. Made really, really good grades, but never learned to cook well.
@Corbin5 oh, i meant which exotic restaurants do you go to. did your mother succeed with your sister, or is she like you?
@ShifaLk (7376)
Sometimes my brother cooks as he is a chef & Sometimes we buy it from outside
how nice to have a chef in the family. does he cook during special family occasions?
@ShifaLk (7376)
@hereandthere oh yes... he does... and I'm his assistant :)
@ShifaLk i'd rather be the assistant, too. so who washes all the dishes, pots and pans afterwards?
I only cook simple dishes. I don't want intricate ones. Though, this Pad thai is simple to cook. But i wonder if its noodles is always available in supermarkets. What should I ask if I want that kind of noodles?
there's some noodles left so looked at the label on the pack. it's six fortune rice noodles ho fan 375g. i think she should have used it all up because there was a lot of "sahog."
@hereandthere Yes, you should have put them all in , since there are lots of sahog. Most bijons or pancits becomes delicious when the sauce is so tasty. That's because the sauce is what seeps in into the noodles.
@SIMPLYD i don't know why she didn't. maybe she thought half of the pack of thai rice noodles was enough.
We don't really have too many exotic dishes. We mostly have them if we eat out.
i'd rather eat out, too. when you feel like eating out,what cuisine do you like?
@hereandthere I'm not very adventurous and don't really like anything that is too hot and spicy. I like Chinese though so there is always a good choice.
@JudyEv same here. not too adventurous, can't eat hot and spicy food, either. chinese is always a good choice here.
@MGjhaud (20799)
im not sure. I havent eaten exotic dish lately and my family's into grilling lately.
if only there was a way to grill without the smoke. we grill on the stove now.
@MGjhaud (20799)
true.. we do it at the farm though but never at my apartment.
@MGjhaud best location. everything fresh.
@averygirl72 (16318)
I remember last Christmas holiday my brother who loves cooking made a Pad thai too. I didn't like it I don't like the peanuts on it. Did you like the taste
i'm not fond of peanuts, too, but yes, i liked it. how/where did your brother learn to cook pad thai?
@averygirl72 (16318)
@hereandthere He watched online for cooking instructions. He uses lots of ingredients and I see the unique noodles they are thicker
@thelme55 (13018)
I have eaten Pad Thai today at work. My workmates brought the food to work and we just cooked rice at work.
it's nice that you're allowed to have a rice cooker and cook rice at your workplace. some only allow microwave.
@thelme55 (13018)
@hereandthere it is the rice cooker and a sack of rice of the owner. They have microwave, too.
@LeaPea2417 (16852)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That looks so tasty. My husband will cook exotic dishes like that on occasion ( he cooks better than I do), then other times we will get food like that out at restaurants.
i'm not really a foodie and i'd rather have them at restaurants, too. but it's also nice when someone in the house is adventurous enough to make them because you get introduced to new dishes.
@LeaPea2417 (16852)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@hereandthere That is true.
Prefer to go out and eat those foods there.
i would, too.
I'm ready for some! I have never had it before.
the first time she made it here we liked it, so it was nice to have it again.
@amnabas (9940)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I do cook myself and I prefer to go and eat out too.
because i know you as someone who is very adventurous when it comes to food and cooking. what's the latest dish you cooked or restaurant you went to?
@prashu228 (24796)
Never heard about this dish, it looks yummy delicious..hope you had a great time
that's okay. yes, it was good. are there thai restaurants in your area?
@ridingbet (39940)
i wonder why is it called an exotic food?
it's an exotic dish because it's a thai dish (not filipino) but it's similar to our pancit. do you try dishes from other countries, either cooking it or eating out?
@ridingbet (39940)
@hereandthere when i was in Kuwait, i tried some dishes from Thailand, Korean food, the kebabs and shawarma from that Arab state, Indian food like curry, chapatti, biryani, but no, i did not learn how to cook any of these dishes.
• Austin, Texas
My husband fancies himself good at cooking Chinese stir fry. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes not. But it's always better than mine!
I cook exotic dishes time by time, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, I like different styles of cooking.
@amandajay (18084)
• Sri Lanka
looks yummy,,, wish i had could have some
I love pad thai!!! But I have not been able to recreate it at home like they do in restaurants. Hubby and I used to go to a small house looking restaurant where we first had this . . . they used noodles that were more like pancit noodles . . . and now all pad thai's we compare to that (no one does that with the thin noodles though). The restaurant changed owners and the menu and the way they cook Thai food - so we don't go there anymore. My husband is the more creative cook - he will cook out of his head. But as far as exotic meaning from another culture - I guess that would be me. I would love to find the perfect pad thai recipe (to our taste) . . . restaurants tend to be too syrupy sweet! And I would use the thin noodles even though I know that is not the correct way . . . that's just from our sweet memories of that little restaurant we loved!
• New Delhi, India
Enjoy..it looks awesome