Facebook fined for misleading in WhatsApp purchase

facebook fined image Pixaby
Facebook has been fined $122 million for giving misleading information during a deal to purchase WhatsApp. According to the European Union anti trust regulators, Facebook said that they could not match Facebook accounts with WhatsApp user profiles when they were seeking approval for the purchase in 2014. The deal was approved in part because of this misleading statement. However the EU found out that they did have the technology to do just that at the time of the purchase and just 2 years after the purchase Facebook launched a service that is able to automatically match Facebook users with their WhatsApp profiles. Now Facebook has more of your information than previously. The question is what will they use that for? probably to share with advertisers. Facebook bought WhatsApp for $19 billion in 2014. I do wish there was a viable alternative to Facebook, I am nervous about companies that use our information to make more money. What are your thoughts?
Facebook can afford to be liars.
And all they got is a slap on the wrist
@Freelanzer Yes I agree Freelanzer. I really am not a fan.
I don't know much about the ins and outs of these companies but to be honest - I am nervous even talking on my cellphone.
You just can't trust any of it
I wouldn't be that nervous. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch and I wouldn't change my experience here for anything. I hope that people don't have a bad experience with this issue.
It is but I think a bit over rated.
@Freelanzer .......I think it gives what it says it will.
@celticeagle I realize there are die hard FB fans out there. I prefer the old fashioned human contact while keeping my privacy in tact
@moffittjc (38200)
• Gainesville, Florida
$122 million is probably like $1.22 to Facebook due to how much money they rake in on a daily basis, so I think they can afford to be liars and pay the fines. I agree with you, I wish there was a viable alternative to FB, other than other social media sites which are already owned by FB.
I don't care for it either
I use Whatsapp but don't care for the tactics of FB
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I have never had a Facebook account.
Good for you. Just joined on a very small scale but had I known about the deal I wouldn't have.
I don't use FB so hopefully it won't impact on me.
Good to hear. I just thought I would try it now not sure
Good to know this and, thanks for sharing.
You are welcome.
@JediYoda (1735)
• Samoa
That's not good to give away and violate our privacy by Facebook and to give away vital information to private companies for commercial purposes.
They do it anyway and when they are caught all they say is "it was an error" and they get away with it.
@EddieHands (35473)
Yeah I don't trust. Face book. I only trust. It to promote. But overall. There are other messaging apps you can use. Finding one you can trust is the tricky part.
@Nawsheen (22941)
• Mauritius
I share very few information on facebook and have not included my phone number. I do have lots of privacy concern when it comes to facebook. Can we really trust facebook. The answer is NO for me