Why is 40% of food produced in America unused?

By Hope
@1hopefulman (33546)
I found this information hard to swallow. 40 percent of food produced in America never makes it to the table. Can you believe it? Have you heard about it? What do you think about it?
Roughly 40 percent of food produced in America never makes it to the table. Whether it rots in the field, is trashed at the supermarket, or thrown out at hom...
I do believe Americans throw out a lot of food. Grocery stores too. I am sure at lot of unfinished fast foods go into the garbage also.
@1hopefulman (33546)
It seems to happen in every field from the farms to everywhere else. Are we spoiled?
@1hopefulman Oh yes, we are. With a plethora of foods to choose from and so many places to have food served to us, we have been spoiled due to the fact that food is so easy to obtain any time we would like. Very little effort for us to eat what we want.
@Essjayd (1619)
Sadly shops overstock and people over buy! We buy our food on a day to day basis which has cut down the amount we have to throw out. The only time we buy extra is on a Friday I can cook some meals or soup to go in the freezer at the weekend so there's always something there if I finish work late!
• Uzbekistan
I also buy small quantities and rarely throw something away.
@Essjayd (1619)
@MALUSE I'm amazed how little we throw out plus we're saving cash by only buying what we will use.
• Uzbekistan
@Essjayd I'm not a brilliant cook but I'm very good at concocting something out of leftovers. I usually make a salad.
I like businesses who donate unused food to shelters, or soon to be expired produce to those who use it immediately.
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, we are beginning to see more of that and that is good.
when I still cooked for myself I never bpigjt too much food and if I had left overs 'I used them for another meal never threw any thing out or wasted food now here in this retirement center I am appalled at jow much food is actually thrown out because people do not 'lke it or just ate a teaspoonful and left the rest of the food to be dumped tj
@1hopefulman (33546)
It is sad that so much food is thrown away but in retirement homes there's not too much they can do.
@1hopefulman no they have rules by the dept pf health that tjey have to abide by so they have to toos out freshly cookled uneaten food.
@Hatley aslos ilf they would not givesuch huge portons that would help as mostof us are mot that active and c ammot eat a ton of food at one meal.
@bluesa (15196)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes @1hopefulman , it is sad, but if something doesn't look perfect, there is a worry it won't sell. And the end goal is profit. Meantime, If I had a green thumb, I would plant my own vegetables and fruit and even if they were not perfect I would use them for cooking or baking.
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, that is the problem. If it has a little flaw, consumers might not buy it. What if it was sold at a reduced price? Some might buy it to save money? Some places are doing that with success and reducing waste.
@bluesa (15196)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@1hopefulman agreed, If stores were not too greedy and would reduce the price then maybe less would go to waste.
@1hopefulman (33546)
1hopefulman
@bluesa Believe it or not but this morning I ate 7 golden russet bosc pears from South Africa for breakfast. I didn't know where they were from when I bought them. The reason I bought them was that the price was really good compared to other pears. I don't mind fruit or vegetables that may not be the "perfect" shape if the price is discounted. They were delicious that I will go back and buy more if the price is the same.
@Nawsheen (22955)
• Mauritius
So much wastage. In many countries people are so poor and they have to struggle so hard to get a morsel of food. Thats very bad. I heard that the Tesco supermarket was planning to give its unsold goods to charity.
@1hopefulman (33546)
That's what I thought! It saddens me that there are people that don't have enough to eat.
@Nawsheen (22955)
• Mauritius
@1hopefulman yes that's sad.
I have known that for a long time. And I think it is a shame that some people are in famine while in the US obesity is a mayor problem.
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, it is sad that so much food goes to waste.
@1hopefulman I have read several times that the amount of food of the planet is more than enough to have everyone in good health as food goes.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I totally believe it. Cheap food is easy to waste and portions are too big for regular human beings to handle in most US restaurants.
@1hopefulman (33546)
It would be good to remember the many hungry people and see how best to use the abundance that exists in some countries.
That's hard for me to believe. I don't know how they feel if it is real. I will feel very guilty because wasting the food is so bad because there are still so many people who are starving in the world.
@luispas (1702)
• Venezuela
Could it be a sin? It's so sad to read this :( I know of so many people who would do anything for eat something, for themselves or their families :(
@1hopefulman (33546)
It is a sin. It is a crime. It is unloving. It is uncaring. How do you think the problem could be solved?
@luispas (1702)
• Venezuela
@1hopefulman Yes yes yes. Oh, I think that's a culture problem, so the hole country need to learn the importance and value that food has and also not to waste it. Maybe starting by teaching the little children in school, that could be a good start
@1hopefulman (33546)
@luispas There you go! If there was one government for the whole earth, do you think that might improve the distribution of food?
It's a shame, but food safety plays a huge role.
@1hopefulman (33546)
This article is not about food safety but about fruits and vegetables that don't look pretty, are not the right shape or is too big or too small.
@1hopefulman There are stores that do sell these at a steep discount.
@1hopefulman (33546)
@DianneN Yes there are these days but a lot is still wasted. It probably will get better with time. At least I hope it will.
@db20747 (10304)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
There are quality standards at most major retail stores. What's not taken to the shelf needs to be taken immediately to churches and salvage food centers where people can get them for free. Or a salvage business can sell them at low cost. No need to let usable food go to waste. People also should start off with lower portions. And make a special effort not to waste.
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, there are things that can be done with food that is not perfect.
@db20747 (10304)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@1hopefulman what would that be? What else could we do?
@1hopefulman (33546)
@db20747 Give it to people. I would be happy to take it if it was free or inexpensive.
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, as someone who has also written (and researched) about this, it is true!
@1hopefulman (33546)
Sad, isn't it? Considering that many people are dying for lack of food. Something is wrong somewhere.
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@1hopefulman Greed always comes to mind when this subject comes up. Maybe that is not the reason, but why is so much wasted rather than shared? In the USA many food items are shared, but still too much wasted.
@1hopefulman (33546)
@PatZAnthony The food in the video is fruits and vegetables that don't have the "perfect look" appeal but there is nothing else wrong with it and so it in never brought to market.
@kepweng (19133)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
lucky country like canada but they dont care about the food going to waste meanwile whre in the poor country all food is Not being wasted people even eat in garbage rotten foods
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, it is very sad that mankind is so disunited and doesn't care about the poor and starving people. When God's kingdom comes, all the problems will be solved. Don't lose faith!
@Julie555 (2549)
Shame on people who throw food. So many people are starving in this world, innocent children, women. Africa, India, many others.
@1hopefulman (33546)
I agree!
@buenavida (8271)
• Sweden
I hope those who can't get enough to eat could get donated food instead of this happening to so much useful foods!!
@1hopefulman (33546)
That would be nice! We need a better system.
@rjain1055 (595)
Most people in this world don't get food. They sleep without eat. I think wasting of food is major concern!!!
@1hopefulman (33546)
Yes, some are concerned about this horrible situation.
Nothing happens with only concern, The people have to get their responsibilities
@1hopefulman (33546)
@rjain1055 We need a better management of the world.