Forgotten Plans and Stuff

I started going through my craft unit/closet thanks to @TiarasOceanView 's recent post that gave me ideas about selling my stuff. As I rummaged through all that stuff, I found various projects that I had gathered material for but never even started. I had plans to make certain things with the kids, but well, now these crafts seem rather babyish . . . I waited too long and had completely forgotten about them. I even found a couple puppet kits a friend had sent to me a few years ago. These were kits she had bought as a someday project for her kids, but she had them shoved away in the closet and had forgotten about them too - now her kids are all grown. I can imagine @RichardMeister laughing about now . . . he most likely remembers me mentioning how stuffed our closets are with STUFF! Have you ever made plans and forgotten them . . . only to rediscover them but then the window of opportunity has been lost? Have you found forgotten stuff?
I think many of us can relate to this. I have many unfinished projects along with a walk in closet that is in desperate need of purging
I would love to have a walk in closet! We have a small place - and the closet spaces are even smaller. We've had to get various units to create more storage space. Our place is overflowing with "stuff"!
I think this happens to most of us. Sometimes I buy gifts during the year to offer for birthday or Christmas and then I forget in the closet.
Oh yes, I have done that too! I actually "found" a gift that I was saving for Christmas for my mother in law . . . I forgot to give it to her then, but luckily I found it just in time for Mother's Day .
@much2say I also recycle for another occasion when I find "hidden" gifts.
@LadyDuck It's like gift shopping in our own closet, well, sort of .
Hi Much, thanks for the mention of my now vanished discussion lol. Yes I forgeddaboudeet every day..haha But seriously, yes, I have found things later and thought ..but but, I was going to do that, and nah, it never happens. Like the little Laura Ashley curtain swatch samples I got for free, I was going to make something, just not sure what. I have very little in my closets and it feels so great not to be crowded with Stuff yeah stuff. Glad you went through your stuff and found some things. But I love rummaging through any of my fellow Hobbits closets to see their stuff too hahah
I noticed that! I gotta get to your posts while they're hot ! Oh my gosh - swatch samples! I used to love those and collected them just to have them. And what did I do with them . . . not a thing! Also speaking of Laura Ashley . . . my friend gave my daughter a Laura Ashley crib comforter when she was a baby. I wasn't into brands at the time and I didn't know why my friend bought the comforter for us as the design was completely not in our taste. So I held onto it intending to sell it . . . but now I have no idea where I put it . I would love to live as a minimalist . . . but I can't - it must not be within me. But I do need to get rid of a lot of stuff! I used to use Freecycle in our area a lot - but haven't kept up with it in recent years. No one sells there - it's all for free!
@much2say Haha you collected swatches too? We should have made something with them I wonder what happened to that Laura Ashley thingie then? Oh listen I would have tons of stuff if circumstances weren't what they have been..I did have stuff at one time. Everyone likes stuff
@TiarasOceanView When I was a kid, I remember we had some project at school . . . the teacher brought in a book of wallpaper swatches to use and I LOVED that. I must have cut out tons from that book and just kept it all - not creating anything but a pile of scraps. Something about paint swatches I love too. Any swatch! Are you like that too? Yes, stuff, STUFF . At my parent's house I still have tons of rubber stamps too . . . including Lisa Frank ones. Now those I did use .
Just money, which is always a welcome find.
Oh yah, I like that! But it's so rare - and so little !
@much2say - I sometimes misplace it and forget about it.
@teamfreak16 We should look between the couch cushions!
I always finish things half "azz"
I just have to get off my "azz" and clear this stuff out!
@much2say Hahah I do too. I have lots of clearing to do ! LOL
I have to clear it all out so I can make space for more STUFF .
@RubyHawk (29488)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, even in our small apartment I still find things I should have given away.
The thing is we can always still give it away . . . but just more to add to the pile!
@RubyHawk (29488)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@much2say I decided sometime ago not to go in a store unless we need something. I carried a lot of stuff to the thrift store several months ago so my apt isn't as full. As it was.
@RubyHawk I am trying not buy any more stuff too. And IF I do, I am putting in a place now where I won't forget it. I'm sure we have stuff to take to the thrift store, but I will try to sell some of it first.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Yes, I remember your posts about all the stuff cluttering your closet. There is one thing you may learn about this–if you don't get started on the projects you plan to do with your kids, they will outgrow them. Thanks for the mention.
Grown ups can outgrow certain plans too . But materials are materials . . . I can always make new plans for them . . . recycle and repurpose as they say.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say I suppose after your kids get married and you have grandkids....
@RichardMeister Oh my gosh, I can't even think that far. My kids can inherit this "stuff"!
@MarymargII (10567)
• Toronto, Ontario
Many times- hard to get motivated sometimes and have forgotten many big plans- ha! Oh well, you can now gain some good space by getting rid of them to a good place and make room for more possibilities
I guess first I have to figure out HOW I will get rid of some of this stuff . Oh I can have hoarder tendencies at times!
@MarymargII (10567)
• Toronto, Ontario
@much2say I can too but I do fight it- I am always thinking- "could need this later!" ha!
@MarymargII Me too! I need EVERYTHING !
I found some projects I had forgot about when I moved and gave them to my two daughters to finish.
That's nice your daughters could finish them! I'm just going to have to take the old projects (not even started) and just create different new ones.
@much2say That will work.
I bet we all have
And probably all the time !
@kaka135 (14115)
Always...... Especially since I started to do work on craft projects in these recent few years. There are several knitting or crocheting projects that I have started, but still not finished yet. Sometimes when I am decluttering my stuff or the kids accidentally find it, and we all get surprise. I think it's a good idea to go through all the stuff and perhaps make an inventory.
Inventory . I was thinking I should separate everything into very specific bins and write down and tape to the outside what is in the inside (but I know I will never do it ). But yes, sometimes it is a fun surprise to find things. It's like getting a gift .
@YrNemo (14719)
Oh, plenty... Some cardigans would be too tiny now even if I had tried to finish it (the kids are all grown up).
Oh yes, I do have some new kids clothing that they never wore because they outgrew them too! What a bummer!!
You are my secret sister. I will not even tell you about the unopened supplies and unfinished projects that I have.
Ohhhh, we could open up our own project supply business - it'll be a family business !
I have done that so many times it's insane. Lol.
I need to quit shopping and just shop in my own closet !
As is often the case with most people. Sometimes we have to leave something that we were itching to do on the back burner due to busy schedule,however it becomes stale and no longer of interest as it strikes you.
Yes, sometimes we push them too far off the back burner that it falls to the back of the stove and we never see it to remind us .
This has happened to me too. I've put away gifts for children then haven't been able to find them. When I do eventually locate them the child has grown up and gone!
I've bought some gifts and forgot they were stashed too . . . and it's terrible finding them after the fact! I even had a bag for forgotten someday gifts - and I forgot about those too !
Oh, you are not alone! Our home has lots of closets, an attic, and a basement. My husband had me come down to the basement two weeks ago to tell him which of my stuff I wanted him to toss and which I wanted to keep. I totally forgot about half the goodies that were there. The other half got tossed.
We don't have that much room, but I guess I still manage to collect that "stuff"! Yah, Hubby's been wanting to clear out the goodies in the garage . . . but at least I know all that is old stuff .
@noni1959 (3737)
I have. I had a traveling box I packed when I moved from one house in 2004 to another and never unpacked it. It kept going with me until up here and just a couple days ago I opened it. I found a smaller box with a cross stitch I was going to do, a bunch of broken jewelry to glue to a frame, and a plant kit I was going to do with one of my grandchildren who at the time was 3 and now 9. Now I'm being giving three gallons of grey purple paint for a project. I bet I still have them a year from now...