Vintage Rock Instrumentals: #5 "Teen Beat" Sandy Nelson (1959)

Los Angeles, California
Shades of Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. It is rare for the drummer to be the star. Sandy Nelson is probably the only rock drummer outside of Phil Collins with hits under his name that I can recall. He is highly underrated for his long career as a premiere drummer. Born in Santa Monica, California, Nelson attended high school with Jan (Berry) and Dean (Torrance) and Kim Fowley who produced his early efforts. Nelson was the Ventures of drumming having recorded over 30 albums of mainly covers and well regarded session player for Gene Vincent among others. You can hear his drums on classics like “Alley Oop” and “To Know Him is to Love Him.” Imperial Records signed him and Nelson enjoyed two top ten hits with “Teen Beat” (#4 and gold single) and “Let There Be Drums” (#7). In 1963, Nelson was involved in a motorcycle accident resulting in an amputated foot but he drummed on. Nelson is still active residing in Boulder City, Nevada. If you are a drum aficionado, you will enjoy “Teen Beat.”
Uploaded with Free Video Converter from Freemake http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
I wonder how many kids heard this and decided to become drummers.
Thanks for sharing. This is nice. I will look for more. I loved that song Alley Oop.
@FourWalls (13798)
It's interesting that, even though it's not a "drum solo" (you can hear the other instruments), you really don't pay any attention to anything except the drums.