The Christmas Album

Riga, Latvia
With those of you living in places where it is hot or where it is spring and the weather is becoming hotter and hotter it is just as well that Elvis’ fourth album was recorded as a Christmas album. Perhaps this will make you feel cooler as you listen to Elvis singing Christmas songs. The album was titled Elvis’ Christmas Album and became his first Christmas album. It was released on October 15, 1957. The album made it on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart and stayed there for four weeks. Fans were surely listening to this album all Christmas long. The two singles from this album were “Peace In the Valley” and “Blue Christmas”. The original album included eight Christmas songs and four gospel songs. Elvis sang traditional Christmas songs and included two new ones as well. The songs were “Santa Bring My Baby Back (to Me)” and the other selected by Elvis to open the album was a bluesy rock number titled “Santa Claus Is Back In Town”. Two songs on this album “Silent Night” and “O Little Town of Bethlehem” were arranged by Elvis. What is interesting about this album is that most everyone knows the song “White Christmas” was always associated with singer Bing Crosby. Well the composer Irving Berlin was actually disappointed to learn that his song was to be sung by Elvis and included on his Christmas album. He actually told his staff in New York to phone radio stations across the states to demand that the song would not be broadcast and most Canadian radio stations refused to play Elvis’ Christmas album. As you see Elvis had not become King yet. To me it remains a mystery as to what all the excitement was all about because not only did Elvis do justice to the Christmas songs he sang there were also lovely gospel songs. I have included “Blue Christmas” here. Let me know what you think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis%27_Christmas_Album
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose MartinOldiesTapes Loading... Unsubscribe
• Pamplona, Spain
I like most of his Songs and that was one of them. I can´t hear it on here because of the Computer set up. I would have to look for it on youtube so no problem thanks anyway.
That is a true classic. I love Elvis Presley's voice.
@JediYoda (1735)
• Samoa
That's a good Christmas Album recording and I heared that album before.
People like Berlin only perceived Elvis as a swivel hipped singer doing songs they didn't understand. But Elvis possessed a true voice and became considered a fine gospel singer.
• Riga, Latvia
When I hear him sing How Great Thou Art I get all choked up and tears come sprouting out @JohnRoberts
@ramapo17 (19513)
• Melbourne, Florida
I loved his gospel music. I loved everything about Elvis.
@ramapo17 (19513)
• Melbourne, Florida
@RasmaSandra Me too.
@ramapo17 (19513)
• Melbourne, Florida
I bought that album when it came out. I was 15 at the time and new all the Elvis records I could get. Some were albums but I had a lot of 45's too. I knew all the words of the songs too. I watched all his movies to. Like most of the other females in the world, I was in love with Elvis. I still play his music sometimes.
• Riga, Latvia
@ramapo17 Never saw Elvis in person but always felt some sort of closeness to him. After he had passed I had the oddest experience. I really to this day know it was real. My whole family had a sixth sense and even today I can feel a closeness to the world beyond. You might be interested in reading this post I wrote about that experience.
Some strange occurrences have been happening lately which I know sometimes occur when the seasons change. It is usually a time when you can best get contact...