Sprouting Seeds

My Birdfeeder
@BettyB (4224)
Summerville, South Carolina
The birds and squirrels usually empty my birdfeeder almost as fast as I can fill it. We’ve had rain for several days now, but the sun is finally shining again. I went out to check the birdfeeder this morning. The birds and squirrels usually manage to empty it even on rainy days. I was surprised to see it was still mostly full, until I got close enough to see. I’ve had birdseed sprout on the ground below the feeder before, but this is the first time I’ve seen it sprout in the feeder. I was going to clean it out, but maybe I should leave it be. The birds are still using the feeder, but the sprouts have stymied the squirrels. They can’t tip it and empty it onto the ground.
We had a lot of rain last month and also my seeds have sprouted. I have now plenty of small sunflowers under the feeders.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I haven't had a big problem with seeds sprouting on the ground. The doves clean them up pretty good.
@BettyB The dove are lazy here, they do not clean up the ground.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@LadyDuck I think the only reason they do here is that the feeder is too narrow for them to sit on.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think anything that stops the squirrels is a good thing lol
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm going to have to clean it out soon. The birds have stopped using it as well.
If it works why not, right? If ya get tired of the rain, send it west, ok? We sure could use a few drops.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The rain we had this week was much needed. It was a dry winter here in SC. The sun is shining now. A good shower once a week would be nice. It rarely works like that though. It's either not enough or too much.
The desert I'm in rarely gets too much rain @BettyB but boy do we have long droughts, some last as long as 10 years.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@rebelann I get tired of the humidity here, but its better than a drought. Hope you get some rain soon.
Never knew birdseed could sprout like that. If it keeps the squirrels confused, it may be wise to keep the sprouts.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm afraid the damp seeds will spoil and hurt the birds. I'm going to clean it out but plug the bottom openings. That way the squirrels can't empty it by tipping it but the birds will be able to feed at the upper openings.
@prashu228 (25792)
As you said it rained, so the leftover seeds sprouted. But if you don't need them better to remove.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'll clean out the feeder this weekend.
That is a very nice looking birdfeeder.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've had a lot of different ones over the years. I found this one at a yard sale. I've used it for five years now. The squirrels still get into it, but they can't empty it as fast as some of the other feeders.
That I've never seen, probably since out feeders hang and the doves each whatever falls to the ground.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It's the first time mine has ever done this. I've cleaned it out. If the seeds sprout again, I'll have to be more aggressive when I clean it.
@BettyB I hope it solves the problem.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@DianneN So far so good.
Gosh, the sprouts must have got going quickly.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've used that feeder for years and never had the seeds sprout. I don't know why they did this time.
@BettyB The conditions must have been just right.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@JudyEv When it just rains, the seeds don't get wet, but we had a lot of wind as well.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad thebirds can still get atvthe seed... squirrels are very clever ....it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to figure out a new way of getting the seeds...
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
They'll figure it out. They always do.
@sueznewz2 (9633)
• Alicante, Spain
@BettyB yeahhh they are clever...
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@sueznewz2 They're too smart.
Mother Nature got back at the squirrels and the birds get the seed. Sounds good to me
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It worked for a while but the birds stopped eating from it as well. I think some of the seeds were starting to spoil. I cleaned it out the other day.
@BettyB Good idea.
@minx267 (11110)
• Hartford, Connecticut
That is quite interesting. If it slows the squirrels down. Why not leave it?
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It's the first time I've had seeds sprout in the feeder.
@minx267 (11110)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@BettyB that's really cool.
• Bournemouth, England
It may eventually start sprouting inside as well. I don't why companies don't just label.their products 'Squirrel (and occasionally bird) food'.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I agree. I like feeding the birds, but the squirrels empty it so fast that the birds rarely get a chance.
• Bournemouth, England
@BettyB They're all part of the wildlife of a garden but some parts work out more expensive than others! We have about a dozen feeders up but only one is squirrel-proof.
@responsiveme (14225)
Like kids the squirrels don't like greens
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
So true. Give them seeds and nuts and they're happy.
Your photo had me puzzled for a while as that feeder looks huge - then I realised it was a lot closer to the camera than the rest of the garden. I've read the comments so know that you aren't going to leave it like that.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've cleaned it out. I was afraid some of the seeds would start to spoil and possibly make the birds sick.
I've never seen it sprout in the bird tubes itself.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It's the first time its happened to this feeder, but we had wind and rain. It was easier for the water to get in.
We've had quite a bit of rain here too and the grass is very lush and green. My neighbor has a birdfeeder but I can't see that far to see if the seeds have sprouted. Your feeder looks like a great place for the birds to dine
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The feeder is popular with both the birds and the squirrels.
wow, don't reckon i've seen such 'fore? nah, i'd leave 't. we both know those squirrels'll figure somethin' out soon, lol.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The squirrels are smart. They'll figure it out eventually.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
You may have come across accidentally they way to keep squirrels out of the bird feeder.
@BettyB (4224)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm a little concerned about the seeds spoiling. I'm going to let it go for a few days and then clean it out.
@JediYoda (1725)
• Samoa
That's so interesting to know.
@PatZAnthony (12183)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is good that the sprouts stop the squirrels! I'd leave it alone for now too @BettyB