Head To Toe

Flowers in my garden
By Jabo
United Kingdom
Did you ever sleep head-to-toe with anyone? When I was a child we lived in a small two-bedroomed house, and I shared one bedroom with my two older sisters, and our parents had the other. My mother's sister lived about 20 miles away, and she often came to visit with her two children. No-one we knew had cars in those days, and it was quite a complicated journey for them, involving both trains and buses. Because of this they would often stay the night. Mum used to make our beds up open ended, with a pillow at both ends, so that one person's feet would be near the other one's face. The sleeping arrangements were as follows: my aunt and our boy cousin in one bed, two sisters together, then the girl cousin with the other sister. Fortunately, we weren't big enough for our feet to be actually in the other one's face, but we often would kick each other in the stomach or other places during the night. (Sometimes even accidentally!) We didn't think that this was a very unusual experience, and I never remember having trouble getting to sleep. I suppose we were naturally tired from playing outside and running around all day. Did you ever have to sleep in the same bed as one of your relatives when you were little?
When I was very little I slept in the same bed with my two sisters, before we moved to a bigger house.
@Kandae11 You actually all slept in the same bed? We had our own beds, but they had to do double duty when we had visitors.
@jaboUK Yes, we were very little and we had to do that for a week when we were on the move between homes. It was fun.
@Fleura (7194)
@jaboUK my Mum and her siblings always shared beds, two sisters in one and three brothers in another. That was in the 1920s and 30s. Her two older brothers used to argue over who got to cuddle the littlest brother for warmth, apparently!
Yes, several times with a younger cousin when we spent vacations in my grandparents' home. They had several bedrooms, but we were many cousins and we loved to be there together, so girls shared the same beds in two bedrooms and boys did the same. We did not sleep head to toe.
@LadyDuck That sounds as if you had a lot of fun at your grandparents house. We slept head to toe because the beds were pretty narrow, and there seemed to be more room that way.
@jaboUK We had a lot of fun at our grandparents house. I remember that my cousin and I wanted the room at the end of the corridor. During the night we sneaked out and went upstairs through a narrow staircase, to visit the attic. There were so many interesting things up there. Not to mention the seven little barrels of Balsamic vinegar that our grandfather produced. If I close the eyes I can almost feel the smell.
Come to think of it, I have never slept with another relative when I was little. Grandparents' houses seemed to have beds for each person. However, only one family at a time came to visit, thus we always got our own beds.
@Corbin5 We were in that cramped house until I was 11, and then what a luxury to have my own room!
@hostessman (9767)
• Tucson, Arizona
i have never had that kind of sleeping arrangement but i know others who has
@hostessman I'd hate to do it now!
No, but I do recall a few times that each of us had only a small cot to sleep on, it was hardest on dad because he was 5'11" and his feet always hug over the end. Mom was short so she didn't have that problem. I think I had it much easier than you did, at least we didn't have to worry about war.
@rebelann That would have been tough on your Dad. We never actually worried about the war, we'd never known anything else and didn't realise the danger.
That makes sense @jaboUK children are resilient to most any situation.
@rebelann That is true, we just took it all in our stride.
For a few years I had to sleep with one of my sisters.
@marlina I suppose in those days you thought nothing of it, just as we didn't mind when our cousins came.
@jaboUK I didn't mind then.
When we were little, my sister and I shared a bed. When we got into our teens, we got separate beds.
@just4him We only had to share a bed when we had visitors, we had our own beds normally. They were quite small though, as the room was small.
@Elizaby (3798)
• Pensacola, Florida
@jaboUK My sister and I shared a full bed and my brother who slept in the same room had a twin
@fishtiger58 (30323)
• Momence, Illinois
I shared a bed with my older sister but that's pretty much it. And we slept with our heads at the top and feet at the bottom.
@fishtiger58 Our beds were a bit narrow, so sleeping head to toe seemed to give us more room.
@fishtiger58 (30323)
• Momence, Illinois
@jaboUK I can understand that.
@ilocosboy (35568)
Yes, when a disaster strike like the typhoon last year, me and my wife and our 5 children sleep together because they are afraid of the typhoon.
@ilocosboy That must have been a bit crowded - 7 in one bed! But I can understand you all wanting to be together in those circumstances.
@Morleyhunt (20260)
I remember sleeping with four children sideways in a double bed. My children were also know to sleep more than one to a bed when we had company.
@Morleyhunt Oh that's a good idea to sleep sideways if the bed is double.
• Midland, Michigan
@jaboUK We slept that way periodically too, but I don't know whether it was when we had company staying overnight, or whether one of us just wanted to sleep that way for fun or something.
I was glad I never did. I always liked to sleep on the couch.
@jstory07 You preferred the couch to a proper bed?
Our house was pretty big with many rooms and so no reason to do that.
@allknowing You were lucky, our house just consisted of just two rooms upstairs and two down, plus a kitchen.
@jaboUK We were so many siblings and my father designed the house. Those days everyone built big houses.
@allknowing It's good that you had enough room to build a big house. We were in a row of houses, facing another row across the street. They were all small.
I've topped and toed plenty of times when a child and shared beds as well. It was just what you did to accommodate family who came to visit. If we thought we didn't have enough blankets we'd pile overcoats on top of the bed as well.
@JudyEv It seems to have been quite common for our generation to share beds - I wonder if they do it today. I can't remember piling coats on the beds
@jaboUK I think sometimes cousins or friends might share beds but probably not too often.
@thelme55 (14930)
Yes, when I was still a child and last year when we were invited in a golden wedding. We had to sleep in a small room with 4 adult women in a bed. Anyway, we know each other. I could have slept in a hotel but I didn't want to miss the fun.
@thelme55 At least you weren't sleeping with strangers, and had some fun. I don't think I could sleep with three other women in the same bed
• Eugene, Oregon
I don't recall ever having to do that, but you make it sound like a fun experience for a child.
@JamesHxstatic Yes it was quite exciting to have a houseful
@Fleura (7194)
The only time I ever tried this was when I and some other friends went to stay with one of my schoolfriends in her college accommodation. It wasn't fun, I did have her feet in my face. The next night I slept on the windowsill!
@Fleura I can quite understand you preferring the windowsill to feet in your face! Our feet didn't reach right up to the end of the bed
@BettyB (4218)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My two sisters and I shared a bed for years, but we never slept head to toe.
@BettyB Did you really? Three in a bed - I suppose it was a double bed.
@BettyB (4218)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@jaboUK It was a double. When my mother took us back to the farm to live with our grandparents, there were so many in the house. All four of my brothers slept in one room. They were lucky though, there were two sets of bunk beds for them. We girls got to share one bed.
@BettyB You were a large family I see. I don't remember seeing any bunk beds when I was a child.
@responsiveme (16835)
Yes we did when all.of us cousins gathered at our grandparents.And not only head to toe sometimes a little one would jump into the middle wanting not to miss out on the elder cousins fun
@responsiveme I don't remember three of us sharing a bed, that would have been very crowded
@jaboUK these were bog double beds....And sometimes we laid mattresses on the floor to cover the whole room...Lots of fun
@RubyHawk (28240)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, it was common when I was a child. We often had visions with children. Mama put two of us at the head of the bed and two at the foot.I always slept well too.My sister and I slept in the same bed anyway.
@RubyHawk I gather you had a double bed, ours were only single ones. I expect 4 in a bed would have been quite fun.
@RubyHawk (28240)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@jaboUK Yes, we had double beds and we loved the company. We could giggle half the night.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
I had to sleep in the same bed as my female cousin A few times when visiting them on holiday... and occasionally had to sleep with my brother in a bed ... because we had visitors... but my brother wriggled his feet a lot so I changed ends so we both slept with our heads up the same end...lol
@sueznewz2 I can see that a wriggly brother wouldn't be the best sleeping companion