Those Darn Great Reads Cause Panic to Ensue

There are pretty-good reads, good reads, and thank goodness, great reads that have come my way. As much as I love great reads, they leave me in despair if the number of pages read are greater than the pages left to be read. A touch of despair, and a bit of panic, was alive and well at 11 p.m. last night due to the fact that the already-read pages of my great read outnumbered the left-to-be-read pages. Several times during the evening, I held my open book at eye-level to check on the number of wonderful pages that were left for me to enjoy. To keep my almost-to-the-end-of-the-book panic at bay, I made my way to the many resale shops in our area, bright and early this morning, to load up on a mass of books to be read after this fabulous one comes to an end. I am reading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, and oh my, this book is a winner beyond winners.
I studied English and Russian literature at uni. My main era was the 19th century. I read tens of thousands of pages! After my exam, I hardly read anything and then began with thrillers to get into the swing of things again. I succeeded and am an avid reader again. But I don't read no books which have more than 400 pages. I'm of the firm conviction that no book becomes better if it has more pages. I hate superfluous padding.
Stephen King's The Stand has 823 pages. Loved every page of that one. Length does not figure in when I choose a book to read. I am of the conviction that if a book does not hook me after the first 15 pages, I toss it and choose another. No way will I slog through 15 pages in the hopes that the darn thing will get better. Wide variety of readers in this world, which is a wonderful thing.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 I'm the same 10 -15 pages and if it doesn't grab my attention ..I'm onto the next one
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@Corbin5 I usually give the book a chapter to catch my attention.
@TheSojourner (17448)
I just read The Cat in the Hat in Spanish. It wasn't much more exciting than reading it in English!
The Cat in the Hat really is a big yawn in any language, in my opinion.
@Corbin5 but I got through it in Spanish! Haha
@FayeHazel (17164)
That reminds me of watching great TV series... I may have to check that book out, thanks for the head's up
It is a great read. Hooks you from page 1.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@Corbin5 I'll check our library system for it. Thanks for the heads up.
@FayeHazel The ending resulted in me having to compose myself for about an hour. Now, that is one great book that could do that.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
I hope there's a good one in your new pile..
I do!!!! The Elegance of the Hedgehog has hooked me with page 1. Whew!
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 whew... panic over...enjoy....
@waflay (2717)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Enjoy the good read.
Almost finished. Now, hope another great read is in that stack of books I have now.
@PainsOnSlate (20243)
I have experienced sadness when I got to almost the end of books too. The number of pages makes no difference to me, If i make it through the first few chapters, I'm hooked. Even my audio books, if they bore me they get sent back to the Library without finishing them. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I listen to books while I paint, I read books while on vacation mostly. Occasionally if a friend suggests one, I will give it a try.
I actually had to take some time to compose myself after finishing this one. The ending really has an impact. Yes, if a book does not hook me from the start, I am done with that one.
@Corbin5 I am going to ask my library to find this one for me on audio...
@PainsOnSlate He has another one that I see is on hold for so many patrons at our library called My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry which sounds like a delightful read. I am fortunate since everytime I tell my avid-reader sister about a book, she orders it. She does come in handy since we share books with each other.
@responsiveme (14677)
Like you , I need to have plenty of unread books around me ...Otherwise I panic Reading an Eoin Colfer book right now
I will have to give one of Eoin Colfer's books a try. I took a look and I saw some of his books would be of interest to me. I am reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog now, and thank goodness, I was hooked on page 1.
@Corbin5 will keep in mind
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes, that sinking feeling when you realise that a book you are really enjoying is coming to an end @Corbin5 , good you went to find more possible great reads!
I am just glad the author of this one has another great read out there!! Whew!
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 enjoy it
Sounds like an enjoyable book then
A great one it is.
@Corbin5 thats good.
Good for you.Never heard of this one.
It is one of the best I have read.
@Corbin5 Great
I'm so glad you're enjoying this book. My daughter just finished reading it and gave it to me. I'm hoping to get it started over the weekend and I'm in dire need of a great book. I do know the feeling when a great book has less pages to read and the end is getting near.
Oh, I am so delighted you have this one!!! He has written one other book too, so may check it out of the library if they have it. I am reading The Rosie Project Now , and it is another great read. .
I am almost finished with a novel and I am stuck aat the hospital. I hope I am not left with no book to read.
Oh dear. Wish I could run a few over for you!!!
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 not heard of this novel. When I know i'm near the end of one I have the next on stand-by for immediate start afterwards
Yes, like you, an immediate-start book is a must for me!! The Elegance of the Hedgehog is the one I am reading now. Never heard of it before, but hooked me from page 1.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I haven't read that one. I need to get it. I had a stack of backup books but the stack is getting smaller. I need to go shopping.
It is amazing. One of the best I have ever read.
I hope that your next book is just as good a read as this one was.
I have just started The Elegance of the Hedgehog, and thank goodness, I was hooked from page 1. I had to spend some time dealing with the powerful ending of A Man Called Ove before starting the new one. Dang that book tugs at one's heart.
Some books become so real and the characters so alive that you worry about them all for weeks after the book is finished.
It took me an hour to gather myself together due to the ending of this book. A book that can do that is one mighty great book.
I am just like you when reading a great read book. I started a thick, juicy book two days ago, and am having difficulty putting it down. Lots of pages to go.
Oh, I love the thick, juicy books. Those last longer, thank goodness.
@OreoBrownie (3526)
• Elberton, Georgia
It's nice you have reads you enjoy. I have ebooks on my tablet. I read when I can. I stay tired out from meds on hospice care, I'm on percocet for pain and a fentinol patch for neuropathy pain.
Yes, the meds do not allow you to read as much as you'd like. Glad that you can read bits at a time.
hope ya found lots 'f treasures, hon. i hear ya, when a novel 'tis so good 't keeps yer attention 't all times, 'tis most sad to see such come to'n end. big hugs!
Oh yes, I had to spend an hour recovering from the ending of A Man Called Ove. That book really grabs one's heart and won't let go. Hugs to you too, my friend.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It pops up on my bestseller list on Scribd. I'll have to download it if it is as good as you say.
It is a great one, for sure.