The Garden of Eatin'

It sure is nice to grow veggies without pesticides and no fertilizer needed either since we don't grow our veggies in dirt. The 8 x 16 raised bed is filled with mushroom mulch which came directly from a mushroom farm in the next county. We always had good luck with our gardens in previous homes, but this mulch is amazing. As I've said before, we have been eating lettuce for a long time. A couple of zucchini should be ready to pick in a few days. The broccoli we planted is called 'stir fry broccoli' - it doesn't grow in a big head like normal broccoli. It shoots out individual buds all over the plant - perfect for stir fry dishes, hence the name. I like mine steamed with lots of butter. The tomato plants are loaded with flowers, carrots are a long way from ready, green beans have a way to go. The Swiss chard seeds seem to have disappeared but a few have finally popped up. When we moved to Tennessee we had a 100 x 50 garden and it was a lot of work. Our little 8 x 16 raised bed is just the perfect size. Not much weeding and it takes very little time to water! Do you have a veggie garden? Photo is mine
@fishtiger58 (29389)
• Momence, Illinois
We do have a veggie garden behind the barn. I think it's about 16 feet by 26 feet and takes forever to weed. But that's what hubby wanted. This year we are growing, carrots, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, two kinds of peas, beans, and for the first time sweet potatoes.
We did sweet potatoes when we had a big garden and corn...but with this size we have to do smaller plants. We didn't get peas in at the right time - they like cool weather and it got hot fast.
@fishtiger58 (29389)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill Our peas went in late because of all the rain, the garden was a muddy mess. But they are now coming up, I'm happy about that I love snow peas.
@fishtiger58 I have snow peas in the freezer from a few years ago...geeze, I really should use them LOL
Your garden looks great and it shows that you have a much warmer temperature. This year I have covered the entire area to plant with special fabric sheeting to prevent weeds. It seems to work and the sheeting also retain water. I am glad I decided to try.
That would work for most plants - but some things we start from seeds - like the lettuce, carrots, swiss chard. But it doesn't take him long to weed this little garden. We used that type of material years ago when we had about 30 tomato plants.
@AbbyGreenhill I start most plant from seeds in the greenhouse and I move them to the garden when they are about 4 or 5 inches high.
@LadyDuck We plant seeds right in place....no greenhouse here and for the small garden we have it isn't worth having one.
My father used to have a garden when I was a kid. Corn, carrots, radish, squash, tomato.
My father was really into tomatoes. One year his tomato plants were 10-12 feet high.
@RubyHawk (20549)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I love your small garden. It's the perfect size. I used to have a garden before we moved to an apartment.
Thanks....we've gone from huge to this garden and it is a pleasure having a small garden. Easy to work with and a breeze to water!
@RubyHawk (20549)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill One of my sisters has a small garden and amazing that she has so many vegetables.
@RubyHawk No matter what they say - smaller is sometimes better!
That looks great there Abby.Mike is planting today.Yes we do.
What did Mike plant??
@AbbyGreenhill tomatoes,basel,parsley. Arguila squash,etc .Many more out there.
@amadeo Sounds like a good variety!
@YrNemo (5548)
I do hope you have proper rain (not too much or too little). My life as a gardener in the past = watering in the morning and afternoon, and dig, weed, killing bugs etc .
Rain we've had too much of this spring. But, it takes very little watering to water this garden, it's only 8 x 16.
@YrNemo (5548)
@alberello75 (11820)
• Genova, Italy
Great picture
Thank you - I had to wait for a day when the sun was out!
@alberello75 (11820)
• Genova, Italy
@AbbyGreenhill Almost summer. Sun there will be a lot
@divalounger (2273)
I have never heard of mushroom mulch, but it sounds like it is a winner! Congrats on your garden! Ours is probably about your size, and we are just starting to eat out of it for the season. A couple of years back, I grew some purple broccoli with shoots like you describe, and not it volunteers each year--
Yes, some plants will volunteer !! I think the mushroom mulch lasts for ever w/o having to add anything to it. Nothing like fresh veggies from garden to mouth in a short period of time!
@AbbyGreenhill I agree--We have a great organic produce store, and I have stopped buying produce from Safeway altogether!
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Your 8 x 16 garden is what most need @AbbyGreenhill Just the right size to produce lovely tomatoes and all those greens! We have not grown in mushroom mulch (yet) but you know we don't use pesticides. Love what you are doing there~
We had never heard of mushroom mulch until we had this raised bed built for us. Right now there are about 8 zucchini doing their thing, I might have to find a recipe for zucchini bread (which Ive never made).
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
That is impressive. Lots of healthy eating ahead for you.
Can't wait for more things to come in!
@marsha32 (6781)
We love broccoli and I've always wanted to try to grow it. I wonder if it will do well in Kansas at all. I never knew there was one that would just put out the parts that we eat anyway. My daughter gave me 3 tomato plants and 2 bell pepper plants that she started from seed. I hope they really take off. I had a few strawberry plants from last year and I bought 2 more from a yard sale. The ones I bought had strawberries on them. I'm hoping that over the years they will spread enough that we may finally actually get enough strawberries for a meal over just eating one at a time as they ripen. That is all I have planted this year, but after 2 seasons of nothing.
I had never seen this kind of broccoli until this year. We got it at Lowe's. Strawberry plants will spread and multiply over the years. Good luck with your garden.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am hoping to plant a few tomato plants now that the chance of frost has ended.
Happy planting. We used to grow cherry tomatoes, since they come in early but then the regular one would be ready and the cherry tomatoes were ignored. So we have learned to be patient.
@PainsOnSlate (18647)
In the past we have had huge ones, now where we live we have a small one, we have a couple of tomatoes in it, all kinds of herbs and not much room for anything else. Zucchini will be added soon, beans and peas take up too much space we might add some onions and lettuce. Our time for planting is right now, not before because of frost. I love the look of your garden.
Thanks. This was one of our better decisions regarding gardens. Here we usually do the peas in March so by the time they are finished and pulled out then the swiss chard would go in....we always laugh here because we have three separate growing seasons - spring - early summer and late summer.
@Gillygirl (15260)
• Sutton, England
You have a nice productive garden. I used to grow veggies years ago but the spot is all lawned over now.
My husband really enjoys it...He does all the work
You have a wonderful garden!!! We do not have a vegetable garden. Tried tomatoes a few times, but that was it.
Thanks, it is an amazing little garden.
@prashu228 (20279)
Yes we have small vegetable garden. Those veggies are lovely
Thanks...what kind of things do you grow?
Your garden looks so healthy in this picture. Congratulations and happy eating!
Thanks, it's doing it's thing....I can't wait for tomatoes.
@silvermist (15341)
@AbbyGreenhill Congratulations for that lovely veggie garden.You have so many vegetables.I never came across stirfry broccoli.
This is the first time I ever saw that kind of broccoli. Here is a photo I hope you can see the little broccoli in in.
@Linda1234 (4786)
• Houston, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill The veggies look so nice in your garden .
@Linda1234 Thanks, do you have a garden
@Gabugs (1791)
Yes, we have planted veggies on a raised bed like yours. Wish I could boast that the veggies are growing. @AbbyGreenhill Have no idea what mushroom mulch is.
Here is a link that described what it is:
CORVALLIS - Commercial mushroom growers in the Willamette Valley grow tons of mushrooms in an elaborate mixture that gardeners love - mushroom compost.
@Gabugs (1791)
@AbbyGreenhill Thank you so very much. I will certainly look it up.
@LeaPea2417 (13459)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Your garden looks great, like it could be shown in one of those garden magazines. Yes, we have a veggie garden but it has a ways to go at the moment.
Oh thanks that is a compliment for my husband!