Would you invite a MyLot friend to stay at your house?

Walnut Creek, California
I always look forward to checking in on MyLot, and I consider some of the people I know here to be real friends. But would I invite them to stay at my house if they were visiting my area? For the moment, I'll pretend I live in a bigger house, with a pasture and several guest bedrooms. @JudyEvans and her husband and Herc would be welcome here. So would many other of my MyLot friends (you know who you are). But what if a visit turned out to be a disaster? I actually dated someone I met on anther writing site (Epinions). She lived in Texas, and I lived in California. We visited each other a coupe of times each. She turned out to be a "psycho hose beast," and I terminated my last visit to Texas early, fearing for my safety. Are we who we seem to be? Would you invite a MyLot friend to stay with you if they were visiting your area?
They are very welcome at my house.I had a few visit here.Not from my lot.But other I have met while blogging on greasy. Plus also visit them at their house.Yes I would.Your welcome if ever in my areal. I have a dinner guest tonight who plays guitar in a trio.Jazz is the words here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Whoa, I would love to sit in on bass and see if I could follow along. I have a gig this afternoon and will play Moonlight in Vermont (on bass) and some other jazz standards.
@TheHorse Missed the Saturday dance....could have gone but what for?
@garymarsh6 (14430)
I think you would have to book yourself into therapy after staying at our mad house. Sometimes it is just to manic with all the comings and goings!
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh, I might enjoy it--for a day or two. Things can be pretty quiet here.
@vandana7 (67623)
That is so typical of Indian homes..lol
People would not want to stay with me lets just put it that way. I think psycho hose beast is putting it mildly to describe me and my tribe here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. If I had enough space, I'd enjoy a wild tribe. There's be horses to groom and ride, fields to explore, etc.
@TheHorse Ah you see that is the bottom line isn't it? Space..without enough space, people go stone mad, as we are here.
I think we know for the most part about each other. I would allow anyone to come for a visit, even if it wasn't what I expected I would make the best of it to the best of my ability. =) Most true colors show through here whether people intend them to or not.
• Walnut Creek, California
I couldn't tell (from writing) that my Epinions friend was a psycho hose beast.
@TheHorse or maybe you were ignoring the signs? Thinking you're falling in love or going to get lucky can sometimes do that to a person! Just sayin Been there done that
@TheHorse Maybe she was better at hiding her true colors than most. Lol. Psychos are good at that I suppose.
@TheSojourner (17304)
Oh, and since I'm living on a nuclear military base, one would have to have proper documentation and it's a pain in the butt to sponsor people on. So let me move off base first. I am looking right now!
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. Since I work with kids, I've had my fingers printed, my criminal history checked, my nuts squeezed, etc.
@TheHorse well at least you have nuts to squeeze! A lot of the people I have run into lately, have no balls!
• Walnut Creek, California
@CoralLevang I can be a "pushover" about some things, but I tell myself it's just because I "don't give a sh*t," which is often true. I DO have a life. Woo hoo!
It takes all kinds to make a world and even a Mylot world. Some are sane and some aren't. I have no place to have a friend over but if I did I might do that. Your Texas visit sound scary.
• Walnut Creek, California
I am still here to write about it. But those two fang marks in my neck kind of scare me.
@TheHorse ......Fang or teeth?
@msiduri (5743)
YIKES! Sorry to hear that. I won't ask who it was (probably didn't know her anyway) but OUCH. I've met a few people I've known online. Always turned out positive, happy to say. Only social, though.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have one Epinions friend who is a speech pathologist. She's sane, and we've met for lunch a couple of times. I actually have an email out to her now about my expressive aphasic kid client.
@msiduri (5743)
@TheHorse I have friendships from an ancient history site I was on before Epinions. A bunch of us met years ago in New Orleans. Granted, that's sort of specialized.
Any of my Mylot friends who are visiting in my area are more the welcome to come stay at my place. I don't have a huge place but I can always make room.
• Walnut Creek, California
In real life, I have a couch. And an "artist" apartment (projects everywhere). In my fantasy world, I have a lovely LL Bean decorated guest bedroom for couples, and a small pasture for Herc or any other sheep, goat or horse someone might bring with them.
@TheHorse that would be awesome.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Happy2BeMe Heh. I live humbly, even though I really don't have to.
• Uzbekistan
Why not meet on neutral ground first, in a café or restaurant? You can voice your invitation when you're sure that you like the person.
• Walnut Creek, California
If I were in Denmark, where would we meet for coffee?
• Uzbekistan
@TheHorse In Copenhagen, in a café at the waterfront from where one can see the statue of the Little Mermaid.
• Walnut Creek, California
@MALUSE Oh nice! What are my drinking options there?
@TheSojourner (17304)
@TheHorse Since I don't know what a psycho hose-beast is I don't think I'd really want to find out. However, there are people that I would absolutely feel no qualms about inviting to my home or visiting. Back in 2000 I went to England and Scotland and met people people I knew from the internet. I did not fear it whatsoever. There are others, however, that I would absolutely never visit. And then there are some people who I would meet in a very public situation. This reminds me of old chat room days where we would all get together in one location and meet each other there. In those situations you quickly figured out who is safe and who wasn't.
• Walnut Creek, California
I remember "chat rooms." Do they still exist? Mine were mostly about stocks and bonds. I thought I was going to be a hot trader in 1998 or so.
@TheHorse I think there were a couple of them left, but they aren't like they were. I was in one that talked music from the big band era, I had another political chat room I used to go to, and then I started hanging out in a British chat room. I always love the sense of humor much more than in the American chat rooms I am still in contact with many people I've met over the years. Developing friendships. And then occasionally I'll have somebody from 20 years ago say I'm going to be in town in Seattle and would love to meet you finally. And I do. @thehorse photograph from 3 years ago when I finally met someone that I used to chat with from Kansas City back in 1998. He had 5 girls and this girl now is a public relations director and came out to Seattle for a conference and brought dad with her. They met me in Tacoma for us to have dinner.
• Walnut Creek, California
@CoralLevang That sounds like fun! I don't know if I have any pix from the Epinions meet and greet that I went to. No psychos there.
I would invite a friend or two.
• Walnut Creek, California
People you've met here and didn't know before? How can you tell that someone isn't a psycho hose beast?
@TheHorse I don't. But I've talked to the person alot through here and bubblews. And another i talk ti through both and on social media and have exchanged gifts with. And i trust them both. Not anyone else really.
@leesnell (104)
I did open my house to one woman my brother met online and only new her for 3 weeks she turned out to be a very nice woman and her and my brother didn't get along and she went back to her home state and because of my brother not getting along with her she stopped talking to me after that
• Walnut Creek, California
It's sad that she stopped talking to you after that. Did you try reaching out to her?
@TheHorse Well sure! That said there are some vacant houses near me and I might not give them the right address. In which case it would be less about if they were welcome at my house than if they would be welcome at the address I gave them! Although I like people here I'd gauge it by more than reading what they write. If someone asked me sight unseen I'd have to test their sense of humor first upon arriving. I know the address for the local Police Department , Fire Department and of course the homeless shelter.
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh dear. Hmm. Well, maybe I could fix up one of the vacant houses and stay for longer!
I think it would be hard to develop a false alter ego and keep it consistent on here. I take everyone as themselves because of that.
I have often found it interesting that people are afraid to give their names or where they live in the city and state or country because of the fear of something or other and being stalked. I figure that I am going to be who I am. I am careful and cautious and watchful, but I am not paranoid. If somebody else is paranoid like that, then I will never meet them because I don't trust them. When you can be open and vulnerable with me, then it's usually a good friendship. As long as you're not too needy!! That's a big red flag for me
I would meet with someone but probably wouldn't have them to stay
• Walnut Creek, California
That would be a good way to go. In my small place, that would be the most practical.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It would have to be neutral ground for a while until I got to know someone well. I wouldn't like to meet a "psycho hose beast"
• Walnut Creek, California
It was a tad strange. But I'm still here to talk about it.
There are many myLot members who are also from the Philippines so they will definitely be on my list. Of course, myLot members who live in other countries but have plans of visiting and vacationing in the Philippines are welcome to stay in my humble abode.
@WriterAI (5232)
• Bulgaria
Firstly, I will drink some cups of coffee with a mylotter who is in my area. Then I will decide whether he / she would stay in my house. I should be safe anyway.
• Walnut Creek, California
Exactly, as should we all. And there could also be people who would be "safe," but might drive you nuts after an hour or two.
@WriterAI (5232)
• Bulgaria
@TheHorse I see. Different peoples - different problems.
Well, that's a hard question. A few maybe, but not with a family and kids in tow. Anyone else I'd point out the nearest motel.
• Walnut Creek, California
It would depend on how much space I had. In reality, I don't have that much.
@TheHorse I have had friends from AC/Yahoo over for a cookout and one lady from IN stopped in to meet me on her way to FL. Another ac/yahoo person lives not too far and I write for her travel blog....I just wouldn't invite 'strangers' to stay in my home.
@teenspirit (1611)
• Israel
depends how closer our friendship is...
• Walnut Creek, California
That's a solid, common sense approach. But if we know someone only via the internet, do we really know them?
• Israel
@TheHorse In my opinion no but i think that many people disagree with me but I am okay with that=)