What I got from family (traits)

I read this quote recently. "“She herself is a haunted house. She does not possess herself; her ancestors sometimes come and peer out of the windows of her eyes and that is very frightening.”" It is apparently a quote from a book by Angela Carter entitled 'The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories." I don't take this quote in it's most literal sense, as it's quite easy to see that it's meant to be frightening words from a frightening story. I choose to interpret it as a good thing. That is to say, I choose to think about all the traits and mannerisms that I can attribute from family. While in the coming weeks I plan to do the 23andme DNA test (complete with health traits), I can surmise a few things already that are known hereditary traits. I have a birthmark that is in the same position as my great uncle. I've talked in length before about how some believe them to be the mark of how you died in previous lives. I also am quite pale. That isn't necessarily a hereditary trait, but there are several others with the same characteristics. Whether it's due to anemia or our ancestry, or a combination of both, I do not know. I am not anemic as far as I know. There are other things like a history of heart disease and anxiety that I know are hereditary traits. I am curious to see what the 23andme test will say about other possible diseases or traits to do with physical appearance. I am also interested to see how their nationality markers differ from that of ancestry's. Like I said, it will still be a few weeks yet. I want to ensure that I have a steady flow of income coming back in, as I have begun to get more hours at work. Anyway, what do you think to the quote I posted above? How do you interpret it?
There are many traits inherited that can cause great sadness and distress for many, primarily those that deal with debilitating illness or mental health disorders that do frighten.
Yes that is another way to look at the quote. Those things can be quite frightening, for sure. My mother had multiple sclerosis in life, and I was told that an aunt or some other relative down the line had symptoms that could have been multiple sclerosis as well. It is a genetic disease and has caused my sister and I both fright. In the past, if we've felt any kind of nerve pain, we would worry about what it could be. It does tend to skip generations. There are many other diseases, such as those of a mental nature, that have befallen our family over many generations. It will be interesting to see what all can be discovered about these things with my own DNA test in the future.
That perhaps she is haunted by a past in her family that she can't change.
Aren't we all in one way or another?
@ScribbledAdNauseum .......Not always.
@celticeagle I suppose so... but even the smallest of things can be the biggest of things for some...
Oh that will be good. So you already did Ancestrys? You can compare the two then. Awesome! Yes I like the way you interpreted that quote..perfect.
Yes, I posted about my ancestry results some months back. In summary, the majority of my DNA is in what is now UK, with another good chunk being in what is now Germany.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Way cool and now I can't wait to know if both come out the same..
@TiarasOceanView I wonder that too. Without looking to compare, I want to say that ancestry tests at more markers than 23andme so it might come out slightly different. I am hoping to be order the test by mid June, but we shall see. It will cost me $200.00.
My interpretation: you are not unique. You are simply a mish-mash of every direct ancestor you've ever had. I doubt Angela Carter meant it to mean that; it depends which fairy tale it's from. I have a photograph of my Grandad as a boy and in his face I can see two of my siblings and two of my nephews. I love noticing the different features which live on through the generations.
As do I. I used to have a picture of my mom as a girl, I don't think she was older than maybe 10 or 12. I remember when I first saw it years ago.. I asked my mom whose dog Angie (my sister) was petting. She said to me "That's me!" I had the photo at one time, but sadly, I lost it.
Make sure you tick off the option for the company to destroy your DNA sample when they are finished analyzing it. My coworker and I just read an article about those companies keeping the rights to the DNA forever. That is scary.
I always tick it off. I don't want anyone having any part of me unless I decide to donate it to science.
@JESSY3236 (5851)
I have been wanting to that 23andme test. I think it's a cool quote. I think it could mean aging. Like how she grows up. It could mean traits too.