Invasion of the Caterpillars

Portland, Connecticut
I am not exactly sure what is going on but we walked out on Friday and the side of our house was covered with little bitty caterpillars. owwww we were both pretty grossed out, they appear to be falling from our oak trees. Al got out the power washer and removed them and we went to the hardware store to get something to end the invasion. I would prefer to find a green solution but evidently, these hardy specimens need to be annihilated with chemicals. All I know is that it is so bad that when you walk out they fall on you from the tree and I am totally grossed out so they have to be killed. Hopefully, the spray we bought will work quickly and keep them from killing our trees and flowers. Our pets are never out on this side of the house so they won't be exposed. When I researched it I found that this invasion is not uncommon in this area but I have never seen them climbing all over the house before.
Wow. Sometimes we do have to find a way to rid our homes and outdoors of critters who do harm. I felt bad about Orkin killing the carpenter ants, that came from a tree the suburb had to cut down, but the ants destroy a home's foundation.
• Portland, Connecticut
I would not feel bad about that at all, they can destroy a home!! I hate bugs owww
Oh wow..I would not be happy to see caterpillars in the house. I have made short work of the ant or two I saw in here.
• Portland, Connecticut
They are not in the house, that would make me have a nervous breakdown lol they are on the outside of the house.
@JediYoda (1744)
• Samoa
Yup, how your spray will going to wipe them all.
• Portland, Connecticut
I sure hope so.
Watch out. Those guys are giving people rashes
• Portland, Connecticut
I try not to let them land on me but I did find them on my hubs shoulder, ugh!!
@BelleStarr yuck. Hope they're mostly gone now
• Denmark
This happened in Germany some years ago. People had to take shovels to clear the pathways in front of their doors.
• Portland, Connecticut
It is awful really, we power wash them off and a couple hours later they are back!! ugh!
@BettyB (4304)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We've had invasions but rarely this early in the summer. They are hard to kill.
• Portland, Connecticut
The spray we bought says it will work so I am hopeful.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Wow funny they are just doing it this year and not others. Wonder why?
• Portland, Connecticut
It was a funny winter, not too cold and now a long cold spring I am not sure but evidently, it must be perfect conditions
I'm sorry you've got so many caterpillars. If you kill them, you won't have butterflies.
• Portland, Connecticut
These are not butterflies, they produce moths, quite a different kettle of fish lol
@BelleStarr I hope you got them taken care of.
I have seen them in some areas in Italy, I am glad I never saw them here. Good luck with your spray, I hope it works quickly.
• Portland, Connecticut
I hope so too but we continue to have rain and we can't spray until it dries up.
@BelleStarr This is too bad, I hope the rain stops soon.
oh!yes we had our fill on these.Not we have not seen them for awhile
• Portland, Connecticut
I am hoping after we get out there and spray we will be able to say the same thing.
@BelleStarr try to keep ahead of them if you can.
@KristenH (18342)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I haven't seen any caterpillars over here in a long time. That's a lot on your side.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes, it is crazy, I have never seen anywhere near this many especially clinging to the side of the house.
@KristenH (18342)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@BelleStarr That's insane. I hope they're not moth caterpillars. I prefer the butterfly kind.
I remember how they would build huge nests in the trees and the town would go about and burn them. They pretty much destroy the leaves of the trees if they are left unattended.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes those are gypsy moths and I am pretty sure that these may be too.
@responsiveme (12543)
Sounds itchy.right now I am dealing with the invasion of little red ants
• Portland, Connecticut
That is one thing we don't have here, in Florida they have fire ants which are red and bite.
@fishtiger58 (28442)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh I would be so grossed out if they fell on me or had them all over the house. There are years not all years in the past 20 or 30 years where the Japanese ladybugs are that bad, just coating everything. Nasty things bit too. These are the orange ladybugs not the normal nice gentle red ladybugs.
• Portland, Connecticut
When I was a kid we used to get tons of Japanese beetles which ate the heck out of all our plants. I haven't seen one in years.
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I only like caterpillars when they turn into butterflies but caterpillars sting.
• Portland, Connecticut
These will only turn into moths not butterflies so no value what so ever!
That would be a weird sight to see.
• Portland, Connecticut
It rather freaked me out when I first noticed, it happen with the period of a few hours, they must have all hatched at once.
Ewwww! I hope your chemicals wipe them out. So far, so good here. We use a Green company to take care of our new lawns. I really didn't think it would do any good, but it works. We still keep Doodles off the lawns for 24 hours when we have a monthly treatment.
• Portland, Connecticut
I would prefer to be green as well but I am rather afraid these require something rather more aggressive. They are horrible.
@BelleStarr Just keep those nasty caterpillars up north! Lol!
I have had them fall on me before too. Hope it is done quickly so you don't have to put up with them anymore.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you , if it would just stop raining we could spray but we have to wait until things dry up.
@BelleStarr ..........Hopefully that happens soon for you.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hope you can find a good solution to get rid of them and so that they donĀ“t come back. I know that they can damage things same as ants.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes they will hurt the trees and the flowers if they are not stopped.
• Pamplona, Spain
@BelleStarr Did you manage to control the situation then. Hope so it must be very stressful that kind of thing happening all of a sudden.
Tines like that just come and go. We experience blackbug invasion too.
• Portland, Connecticut
They are doing a lot of damage to the vegetation.