Little Kid Carries Big American Flag

My siblings and I always marched in Memorial Day parades. My brother marched due to belonging to Cub Scouts, and then he marched in our town's Memorial Day parades as a Boy Scout. My sister and I marched in Memorial Day parades due to being members of the Brownies, then marched again as Girl Scouts. One year, I was given the honor to carry the American flag in the Memorial Day parade. I was to be front and center while carrying that flag. To carry the flag, I had to wear a leather parade belt that had a cup attached to support the flag pole. Why they chose such a petite 9-year-old to walk 7 blocks carrying that heavy, full-size flag is beyond me. The American flag was heavy as could be for me, but I was bound and determined to carry that American flag to the end of the parade. That flag was really a struggle for me since I barely had the strength to keep the flag upright, but I did the flag-carrying without incident due to a bit of help from my WWII naval-aviator dad. My dad followed along on the sidewalk and kept an eye on me. If he saw I was struggling, he would walk over and straighten me up a bit and adjust the pole to make sure I continued to carry the American flag following the guidelines required for marching with an American flag during a parade. I was way too short and lacked the strength to carry that American flag, but thanks to Dad, that flag was displayed as it should have been during the parade, and I made it to the end without issue. I was so proud have been chosen to carry the American flag in that one Memorial Day parade. Thanks Dad!!!
@gilggg (2667)
• Israel
I'm sure your Dad was proud of you as his little daughter carry the American flag on that Memorial Day parade. (As a Dad I also will)
I think he was proud, and he sure was a big help when I started to struggle.
@gilggg (2667)
• Israel
@Corbin5 That's why there's a Dads..lol
@spaceseed (2893)
it always a feeling to hold national flag. I also feel proud. now a days government here has installed our national flag "The tri-color" on all important places, whenever we pass through those areas a strange feeling patriotic feeling appears
Oh, I am so glad to hear your country's flag is flying proudly for all to see. Today, all homes in the area have American flags flying to honor soldiers who gave their lives for this country.
@spaceseed (2893)
@Corbin5 I have seen this in movies, and during my visit. thats why I know how one feel proud to see national flag
@bunnybon7 (36548)
• Holiday, Florida
oh my, a strong wind could have had the flag carry you away. wow can't imagine how strong you must have been.
Luckily, no wind. But thanks to Dad, I made it.
One thing I have never done is march in a parade..they have one in this town that our group marched in but It was way too hot. It was a July 4th parade I believe. It sounds like our dad helped out quite a bit!
It was great that Dad was close-by. My arms started to shake due to the weight of the flag, and Dad would step in and help.
Quite a feat for you to accomplish Deborah! Some great memories of your dear Dad. I hope this day is kind to you. I have never marched in a Memorial Day parade.
We did march every year in the Memorial Day Parade and other parades too. My arms would start to shake, and Dad would come and help me right myself again. It is a lovely day here, my friend. Hope your day is a lovely one too.
@Corbin5 Poor you but you did it!! A great courageous you!! I only marched in processions at Catholic school, so not really marching.
@TiarasOceanView Well, I am sure you did a fine job in those processions, my friend. I was an acolyte at our church when I was a kid and the fear of not being able to light all those candles freaked me out. I was afraid one of the many candles at the front of the church would not light, or the flame on my lit candle holder would die. Dang, it is hard to be a kid sometimes.
• Preston, England
I have carried a flag in a parade - it isn't light or easy
I sure did struggle with that flag.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 me too with mine but it was worth it
@TheSojourner (17454)
Oh, how I loved reading this. You brought tears to my eyes.
Oh, I am so glad you enjoyed this, my friend. My arms would start to shake due to getting tired, and there was Dad to steady me.
@Corbin5 when I was a little girl going to school I used to love to be part of the flag ceremony in the mornings. Only once did I get to raise the American flag. I usually got the California or the Lutheran flag. I think this is all tied into why I joined the military and then why I love singing the National Anthem so much and would enjoy doing that more than any other job I did as a Navy musician.
Totally awesome! What an honor! I'm glad your dad was there to help and guide you.
Yes, whenever he saw I was getting really tired, he would walk beside me and steady me.
@Corbin5 That's awesome!
@alberello75 (17631)
• Genova, Italy
also I have already told in another comment by another user, In Italy, there is no Memorial Day. We celebrate April 25 as a holiday of liberation from Nazi-fascism. However, we have very little to celebrate, because in the World War II, the Italy was defeat!
I think that the holiday of liberation really is a day to celebrate despite the fact that Italy was defeated.
@alberello75 (17631)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Yes, however, we celebrate equally despite the defeat
Great memories I was in the cub scouts too.
Yes, very good memories, but I just cannot get over the fact they gave such a little kid the job of carrying that huge flag. Oh well, Dad was there.
@Corbin5 Yeah, they should have thought that one over a little more carefully, but glad Dad was there to help.
Because you are so proud of being an American.Good job there
Thank you my friend. Yes, I was so proud to carry that American flag.
@Corbin5 why not.I know that I would have
Carrying the American Flag is such an honor
I really was so proud to be in front with that flag. Just glad Dad was walking along to help me adjust that thing when I got a bit wobbly.
@kaka135 (14099)
I have never attend any parades like this before. It sounds so nice to be there and carrying your country flag. I am not sure if the kid has been trained to carry such a heavy flag, otherwise he wouldn't be able to carry it, right? Happy Memorial Day!
We did learn the rules regarding the care and display of the American flag, but no one prepared me as to how heavy it was going to be. Just glad Dad was nearby to help when he saw me getting tired.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
What a lovely memory!
Yes, it is a sweet memory to share with my dad.
@MsBooklover (3911)
Reading your story made me cry. That is so special and lovely. Being proud to carry the flag and your dad right there to help. What a memory!
Oh, thank you for reading the story. Yes, Dad and I certainly shared a special event. Will always remember Dad standing by to lend a hand.
@quantum2020 (9261)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Carrying the emblematic of a great nation would have stimulated to forget about the weight and the time taken to carry it. It´s beleived that giving the honor to do something makes one forget about the inconveniences. Your Dad supported you through the whole ordeal, that must have been stimulating
Oh yes, the honor for anyone to carry their nature's flag makes for a wonderful memory and develops pride in country.
What a wonderful memory of that parade and your dad stepping in to help when you needed it. I marched in many parades as a girl scout but was never chosen to carry the flag. What an honor for you!
It sure was a heavy flag, but Dad was a big help.
@hostessman (9460)
• Tucson, Arizona
always remember where there is a will there is a way
Yes, I made it and did not fall over.
So sweet. Did American Brownies wear what British Brownies wore? I know now that little girls who are Brownies wear a very contemporary uniform, but in my day {the 1980s} it was a brown dress with the little yellow cross over tie.
Our uniforms were brown, and we also wore a sash to which our badges were sewn, and a brown beanie. Girl Scouts wore green uniforms.
@nitsbubb (368)
• New Delhi, India
That must have made you and your family members very proud, I suppose!
Yes, it was an honor to carry the American flag.