Two Umbrella Stories

https://pixabay.com/en/lost-and-found-lost-items-claim-1458766/
The last time I had a massage, I borrowed an umbrella from the therapists and promised to return it the next day. However, 10 days passed before I was able to return it, so I bought some ‘puto’ (steamed rice cakes) for them to snack on to make up for any inconvenience. (I've been there several times, so the snack offering is also a token of appreciation.) When we had a garage sale a few weeks back, one customer left behind her automatic folding umbrella, but never came back for it. We don't know who she is or where she lives, or if she was just passing by. If she lives here and regularly passes by our house and knows for sure that she left it here, then she could have just rang the doorbell anytime to ask for her umbrella back. Have you ever had to take a chance to ask for help or borrow anything from a stranger out of extreme need, and was grateful for their trust and assistance? What things have people left behind in your house, or workplace, or business that they never returned to pick up? What did you do with them?
@louievill (18674)
I never developed the habit of bringing an umbrella, it's "estorbo" or bothersome for me and it's still something to worry about and I feel it limits my freedom of movement. I would just rather make a mad dash in the rain wearing a jacket or rain coat and or find shelter and wait for rain to stop.
what i find bothersome, and tend to lose, are the long umbrellas, but not the folding ones. when you sit in crowded public transportation next to someone wearing a wet jacket, you get wet, too.
@louievill , I prefer to wear a raincoat than carrying an umbrella.
@louievill (18674)
@marlina we are on the same boat
@josie_ (7348)
One of my relatives use to have an internet cafe. With the number of umbrellas left behind by customers they could have a garage sale of umbrellas.
oh, my goodness, that many, huh? hahaha! i guess if they themselves lose an umbrella while they're out, they'll just shrug it off since there's more in the shop. hahaha!
@josie_ (7348)
@hereandthere _I never had to buy an umbrella during that time. I just drop by my relative's internet shop.
@josie_ free supply! hahaha!
In the town where I live, many shops have umbrellas for customers who're surprised by rain. You pay 5 Euro and can later give the umbrella back in any shop with this service. There you get 5 Euro back.
what a great setup!
@hereandthere Why not suggest this in your town, too?
@MALUSE , That's cool!
Apparently umbrellas are the most prolific items in lost property offices.
through the years, the umbrellas i've lost seem to be the long, hooked ones, not the folding ones.
@responsiveme (16336)
I keep on losing umbrellas ...its become a joke with my colleagues
oh, so you've developed a reputation as the forgetful one. hee hee. i know people who only buy cheap umbrellas because they know they'll keep losing it.
I have lost a couple of umbrellas and at least one pair of sunglasses. I do not even remember well where I left the items.
even though i live in a sunny country, i never owned a pair of sunglasses. i think with eyeglasses and sunglasses, it's either you accidentally break them, or you lose them, which is both annoying and inconvenient, of course.
@hereandthere I never forgot or broke my eyeglasses, but I often misplace my sunglasses.
Honestly, I do not ever remember borrowing anything from anyone. Once I was standing in a line and a man shared his umbrella with me in the pouring rain.
i share my umbrella with others, too.
@kepweng (14954)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
its good things that the umberela have No Rental fee??
when i returned the umbrella i borrowed, the therapist was no longer working there, but i still left it with her former officemates. the customer who left her umbrella never came back so my niece uses it.
@ShifaLk (7483)
Yeah sometimes it happens and I try my best to find the persons... once I found a wallet with IDs in it and I found the girl on Facebook with much effort and returned everything she was very happy
when it comes to wallets it's the cards and IDs in it that we really want back the most because it takes time and effort to replace them.
I never borrow anything from a stranger (my parents were the types to rarely ask for help or to borrow . . . I think that's ingrained in me). When my son was about 4, Grandma gave him an umbrella with Spiderman on it. My son isn't into superheroes, but he just used the umbrella just to use it - and it became well used. One of his friends loved Spiderman and one rainy day we all walked outside of the place we were - and the friend and mother had no umbrella. "Here," my son said. "You can have my umbrella!". I was so proud of him for being so giving . . . but in the end the mother gave us back the umbrella when they got to the car.
so young yet so kind. you're such a great mom.
@acelawrites (10961)
I left my umbrella in a fish stall in the market; good thing the vendor kept it knowing it's mine and I will come back when I buy fish from her again. I was so glad she kept it for me because it was a gift from my niece last Christmas.
because it has sentimental value
@ilocosboy (34325)
That was a good story of two umbrellas. I believe there's always someone to help us in times of distress
that's true. i have volunteered to let people share my umbrella while walking or waiting for a ride. do visitors accidentally leave their things at your station?
I never borrowed an umbrella from a place but just someone at home :)
It's always an umbrella that people tend to forget. I would gladly lend an umbrella too, if a visitor comes to the house and needs them.
@JESSY3236 (6537)
I have borrow a phone before so I could call my great-aunt and the phone company when my phone line was down. My mother has left stuff behind before and I either kept it or gave it away.
@amnabas (10298)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Well not happened to me.
@ridingbet (53159)
i would hang the folded umbrella in our garage so the owner can see and get it.
it's still here. i don't think it's safe to hang it by the gate. it will get wet and rusty from the rain, or picked up by passersby.
@ridingbet (53159)
@hereandthere yes, it could be taken by some especially if it is raining hard; the umbrella is already temptation. our garage is not near our gate so i think it is wise to hang it here.
'twas most kind 'f ya to return such 'long with some treats :) that lady who left hers 't yer place's prolly nary a clue 'tis there. i've 'd many odd thingies left here - pups, horses/tack, wrecked trucks, 'n a loooong list 'f other schtuff. the critters were fer the most part rehomed. the trucks eventually hauled to the salvage yard 'n the funds donated to the children's home. the rest 's sadly still here. 's there a time limit fer some items?? some've been takin' 'p space fer o'er 15 years!