A Pet Peeve From A Former Grocery Worker

@LeaPea2417 (19017)
Toccoa, Georgia
While shopping at the grocery store, if you have picked up a food item and then walk across the store, and then think that you don't want that food item, do you leave it right on the wrong shelf where you are, or do you walk across the store again to put it back in it's exact place? I always will walk across the store to put the item back in it's right place.My husband, who use to work in a grocery store, told me that there are many people who will pick up items and leave then decide they don't need them and leave them in the wrong place. He said that he would find pieces of meat on a shelf , and as a result of not being put back into the refrigerated meat case it originally came from, the meat would be bad and have to be thrown away. He also said that practically everyday, they would find cans of food in different spots and they would have to go around and pick them up and put them back where they belonged. He also said , there were those customers who would nearly fill grocery carts of food, then realize they didn't have the money, and just leave the cart out in the middle of the floor. Which would mean, that they would have to put all that food back. He said those who did that also could be people who were trying to shop lift. They would act like they are shopping, buy filling a buggy, then leave with a few items tucked in their pockets or shirts. He said it never ended. It was a daily thing and a pet peeve of his.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It always bugs me when as a shopper i see things where they dont belong.
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Me too.
You have left us some information that will help; us to be thoughtful shoppers
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Glad I was able to help.
I have left a can in the wrong place when I realized I wasn't going to get it after all. If I'm just a few aisles away I'll go put it back. However, I have never left a refrigerated or frozen item on a shelf. I'm cognizant that it could spoil, and no matter how far away, I always go back.
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
My husband says those who leave a refrigerated item out, don't care or just are really not thinking.
I take things back to where they belong.
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is good.
I always bring back the items, but I have seen people placing things where they do not belong.
@dianadee (1729)
• South Africa
We also try and put items back in the correct aisle. Found some meat once, in the candy section. Showed the shop attendant. What happens if it has been out of the fridge for a couple of hours?
@prashu228 (25821)
I spend impulsively, and realize it later..have to change it
@moffittjc (41171)
• Gainesville, Florida
I worked at a grocery store many years ago, and I can relate to all the things you mentioned here.
used to tick me off to see schtuff not where such 'twas intended 'n i'd go figure where't belonged. frozen thingies/fresh meats 'd make me see red'n the desire to find the offendin' person so's i could punch'em'n the nose. we've 'come such a lazy society :(
This isn't new - it's been going on probably since the first grocery store in the US opened - which was Piggly-Wiggly by the way!
I always put the meat / cold things back if decided not to get them. My friend has actually filled a cart up then realized she didnt have her foodstamps card and left the store.
not only there.I see this at Wal mart
I have gotten to the check out and simply told the cashier that I no longer wanted an item for different reasons, either the coupon was no good or what have you, and then a clerk would take the item for me to return to its proper place.