Will Rogers State Park

View from Inspiration Point, Will Rogers State Park
We visited Will Rogers State Park this weekend. Hubby and I have passed by the park sign for years - so finally we enjoyed a trip with the kids. A popular cowboy movie star from the 1930s, Will Rogers developed this horse ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains of California. The area is now called Pacific Palisades, as it overlooks the ocean. We walked by the Ranch House / visitor center and picnic area to the horse stables and equestrian arenas. There was a polo field where apparently they still do play when it's polo season. One of the trails we hiked led to "Inspiration Point" where we could see the ocean in the distance and the beautiful mega expensive homes in the hills below. I wish I had a better picture of our view from Inspiration Point - it was a bit hazy and my digital camera could barely pick up the ocean. The sun was beating down on us, but the cool sea breeze was divine. We wondered why we hadn't ventured there before . . . we can't wait to have some summer fun up there soon! Do you enjoy visiting your local state parks and trails?
• Lakewood, Colorado
I go nowhere yes it sucks. But wow, this view is fantastic. Pity yours did not come out. You all must have had a very great time! Were you boiling hot though?
I wish we could take you with us on these adventures!!! Yah, the ocean got washed out here (it's at the top) and there was a nice blue sky with clouds above. Or maybe I just shot our L.A. Smog . The bit of green on the bottom right is part of that polo field. It was hot, but not as hot as it normally would be on Memorial Day - and certainly that ocean breeze helped.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@much2say Oh this IS your photo hahaha see I no listen lol Sorry it is a great photo but yes I see where the mist took over the ocean at the top. You are well able Much you and your tribe for the trekking and all. That 'smog' is probably the heat rising too.. What sort of temp was it? Oh yes, I would love to come with, and I dare say I would be able too.
@TiarasOceanView Yah, I just could not get a better shot of the water and sky . . . it looks ghostly here. Oh yes, we are going to make it a point to do a lot of walking every weekend from now on - for many reasons. But guess what - Hubby threw out his back (a result of probably an accumulation of things this weekend). So this plan is on hold for the moment. I assume the temps were no more than 85 - it really was nice out but going through dusty trails, the sun just attacks. Oh yes, please come some day . . . there is much of L.A. I would love to show you!!
I used to, but it doesn't take much walking/hiking to wear me down these days. I keep debating heading down to an old trail and shooting some photos, but I get tired out just thinking about it.
If you feel up to it and can be out and about, go for it! The cool thing is it seems like all the critters come to your place . . . you get a lot of neat visitors and photo shots right outside your door!
@magnumopus (1690)
It looks so very beautiful in the picture.
Thank you - believe me it was more spectacular in person!
Looks like a nice view! Did they still have any horses?
They do have horses there . . . you can take horse riding lessons or guided riding tours . . . and they have arenas where people can bring in their own horses. That being said, I don't know of the "quality" of the horses there for riding . . . do you ride horses?
@much2say Oh I see. I never rode a horse before. They used to have horses at Seaworld, but not anymore.
@infatuatedbby At Seaworld, really? You mean sea horses? I'm not a horse person, but I have friends who've had horses. One friend let me ride hers and that was the scariest thing for me - I felt like I couldn't hold on and I was up so high. And you're not supposed to have "fear" because they can apparently sense it and it makes them nervous too. My kids have ridden the horses at Griffith Park - but I felt sorry for those horses - they didn't look too excited to be there.
It is a beautiful photo! I have been to the Pacific Palisades, but never there. I walk on our town trails and parks, and will be going to the beach with our older son, his son, and his wife in our favorite local state park. I've to to many in the US and abroad. It's so nice to have them so close to you, and I hope you get to enjoy it even more with your kids over the summer.
Oh, you've been to Pacific Palisades! Did you get to visit The Garden of Self Realization (we wanted to go there originally, but it was closed that day). I know you love walking . . . and as you are a traveler, I'm sure you've been through many lovely parks and beaches! I get so surprised when I hear of families who don't venture the great outdoors when it's all here locally . . . they are truly missing out!
Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine is a temple, shrine, and meditation garden which serves spiritual seekers, providing a safe and quiet place to meditate, pray, and receive the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda.
@much2say I haven't been there, but have been to so many other places. It sounds heavenly! My favorite in CA was the Japanese Tea Garden. I could have lived there. lol
@DianneN Ah, was the Japanese Tea Garden you went to in L.A.?
Navigation Navigate Gardens What's Blooming Garden Sculpture Plant Sales and Talks Botanical Resources Contacts Botanical Gardens    In 1903 Henry Huntington purchased the San Marino Ranch, a working ranch with citrus groves, nut and fruit orchards, alfalf
i bet the view 'twas stunnin', more so back'n the day prior to all those folks 'n their mansions, eh? so glad though that y'all took the young'uns 'n 'd a grand time. there aint many places to see right 'round here. i've been meanin' to make't to palo duro canyon fer years though...perhaps some day? big hugs!
It was! Oh yes, I'm sure it would have been more spectacular minus all the big houses (you would not believe some of these houses/yards). I wonder how it was for Mr. Rogers and entertaining his Hollywood guests as this place. I just looked up Palo Duro Canyon . . . . . . that looks like a pretty neat place to hit up!! Oh, I hope you could make it there some day (soon) .. . what a lovely place - and a great places for wild horses to roam!!! Big hugs back to you !
@much2say 's always made me wonder why some folks've the need fer all 'that'? i reckon 'tis jest to show off? if'n so, 'tis a purty sad situation. i'm certain there's prolly photos 'f the place from back'n the day. perhaps 't the library 'f e'en online? i'd hopes to get to palo duro canyon when the spring wildflowers started to bloom. alas, such didn't occur. there's no wild horses there :( i try to imagine how the early settlers saw't, particularly 'fter comin' 'cross so many hundreds 'f miles 'f flatland. what a sight such'd been, eh? i've my fingers crossed to go there 'fore the winter hits. big hugs!!
@crazyhorseladycx I know, I know . . . the CA richies want to showcase their wealth - and they will. I did find some back in the day photos, but it's more of the ranch more than the surrounding areas. No wild horses - oh gosh, I look at canyons like that and immediately envision horses. Oh yah, early settlers must've thought the canyons were beautiful . . . even city slickers like me would find these canyons to be an amazing sight! I would love for you to be able to make it there very soon!!!!!
Skip to Main Content Search this site: Will Rogers Ranch Historic Photographs Related Pages Contact Us Follow Us Select a Language Latest Tweet Please wait... Copyright © 2017 State of California  
Yes, we have a state park in Denver. I used to ride my bike there all the time.
If there's a bike trail, I'm sure you've been there .
@much2say - I was on a trail in there once, and a deer ran right past me.
@teamfreak16 Those deer are either way slow - or very quick!!
@crossbones27 (13514)
• Redlands, California
I do , much cheaper that the likes of Disneyland and places like it. To me more fun in a way, just for the simple fact there is a lot less people and you can hear yourself think. Glad you had an enjoyable time.
Oh yah, it's way the heck cheaper than going to an amusement park. And you get so much more out of it - fresh air, exercise, look at nature's wonders - yes, it's much more relaxing too!
• Redlands, California
@much2say Plus, might see a wild animal, which may be cool as heck from far away, not to close though.
@crossbones27 That's true too! On another weekend we went on the trails near the LA Zoo (there's a trail where the old zoo used to be) . . . and there we saw a deer just above us on a hill. It was almost surreal as we've never been that close to a deer before on a fairly busy trail.
I toured the Rogers ranch house several years ago.
What'd you think - would you go there again? We didn't take the tour of the ranch house itself . . . maybe next time. But it was nice to go around the property . . . did you go hike up to Inspiration Point?
@much2say I am not a hiker. I went specifically to tour the house.
@JohnRoberts We went specifically to hike . But the hike was mild - very doable. Next time we hope to see the interior of the house!
I like to visit our parks and go hiking on the mountains.
I'm sure you have many lovely spots in and around where you are - we would so love to go out your way someday!!
@much2say This is the view from the highest mountain near home (Monte-Generoso). You can see the Lake of Lugano and the Alps capped with snow.
I like nature walks. I should make the time to do more of them.
We plan to do it every weekend from now on. I wish we could do it everyday!
I do sometimes yes. We are not far from Shenandoah National Park. jThere is a state park on the lake not far either, but I get to use the lake for free, so I haven't been there in many years.
I saw pics of it just now . . . what a lovely national park! And you get real seasons there I'm sure - how different and beautiful it must look for every season! Everything costs - even to park - so if you can get lake usage for free, I'd sure be going there too!
@1hopefulman (17429)
That is a nice view and I can make out the ocean in the picture! Yes, there are many sights close by to visit. I try to visits the places close by as my health does not permit me to travel anymore.
If you were there, you could definitely see the ocean even better, it got a bit washed out here. But I'm glad you could still make it out! We don't travel far at all . . . there are still many places locally that we haven't hit up yet and we've been here all our lives!
It certainly is a beautiful site. When I was a kid my parents did do a pretty good job at getting us around local state parks, and we visited some pretty interesting trails.
I hope our kids will say the very same thing when they grow up! We've never gone out of state as a family ... there's so much to do right here in this city!!
@MandaLee (3698)
I sure do. Sounds like it was a blast!
We love to go hiking - and this is one place we hadn't gone before - we can't wait to go back again! How have you been??
do we ever.We live in New Hampshire.One of the best state for parks,hiking,trails.Yes the White Mt.etc. we cover a lot of this in our younger years.Still do the trail.But gave up mt. climbing. Look like a great one there.Yes I know the name of Will Rogers.Yep
Oh my gosh we would love to be able to go to NH period! Hubby still talks about their raspberries and all the greenery there. I love mountain climbing but even I admit it gets harder on the legs/knees as we get older. I don't know if the younger generation know who Will Rogers is!
@RonElFran (901)
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Sounds like a great place to visit. Are there real horses in the stables for visitors to ride?
They do have horse riding lessons and guided trail rides. People can bring their own horses for day use too. We saw many folks riding horses as we hiked!
That sounds like a lovely park in which to spend some times. Let's see. Most state parks are quite a drive from our Chicago suburb, but we do have small parks here with lovely trails.
There are more trails at this park, but they are pretty mild - we hope to hit them all some time! State parks are a bit of a drive for us too (if anything the traffic is the worst part rather than the time to get there). But small park trails are wonderful too!
@KristenH (18300)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I wish I did and do it more often. But there's not close to me, other than Cleveland State Parks, a hour or so a way.
We drive everywhere - an hour is not too bad! This park was about 40 minutes away from us. Hope you can get to your parks sometime!!
@KristenH (18300)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@much2say Maybe sometime this summer.
@KristenH Go for it ! We hope to hit up many more parks too!
@katsmeow1213 (28715)
That looks gorgeous! I would so love to visit California!
I hope you all can visit California some time! Let me know if you do !
@much2say I will! But it's not going to happen for awhile.. I don't have that kind of money right now.