Are you thick-skinned or easily offended?

By Hope
@1hopefulman (32385)
What do you do when you are criticized? Are you good at handling criticism? What do you do when someone says something offensive? Are you easily offended? What about when you are a victim of an insult? Do you ignore it? Do you hurl back whatever is hurled at you? Or do you do something else?
I accept and appreciate criticism if it is justified, most of the time is how words are said more than what it is said. Insults is another matter, I do not accept to be insulted, I am not easily offended, but if I am insulted I react.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, even constructive criticism has to be given in a kind and mild way so that the receiver is not hurt by the manner it is given. The tone of voice, the time, and place that it is given should also be considered carefully.
@1hopefulman I fully agree, my father had a kind way to say things, I cannot say the same for my Mom.
@1hopefulman (32385)
@LadyDuck So, now you have experience in both methods.
I don't care for rude or stupid people, but at this point in my life, I know how to handle myself and them if insulted. Constructive criticism is appreciated if done in a kind way. Who likes to be insulted?
@1hopefulman (32385)
I can see from your response that your years of life and experiences have made you much wiser? Any wisdom you would like to pass on to us that are eager to learn?
@DianneN but isn't being so passive just showing you accept ?
@enlightenedpsych2 I'm not that passive, but am wise enough to know which battles are worth the fight.
I just let it pass and move on. It is not the criticism, but our attitude toward the criticism.
@1hopefulman (32385)
"It is not the criticism, but our attitude toward the criticism." I think that there is a lot of wisdom in that statement. You really made me think. Let me throw something at you. ***It is not the criticism, the insult, the offence but it is the attitude we should have towards the criticizer, the offender and the insulter.*** What do you think?
@1hopefulman Sounds spot on to me!!!
@1hopefulman (32385)
I can accept constructive criticism. But if it is done in a rude way, that is not acceptable.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, even constructive criticism needs to be given the right way.
@1hopefulman I agree. That's need to be trained of for some people.
@1hopefulman (32385)
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am quite thick skinned. I figure the only time someone is unkind or hurtful is when they are doubting something inside themselves @1hopefulman , they must be a very unhappy person.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Nice way of looking at things! If we're irritated by someone then we may need another layer of skin. You made me think of how pearls are made. Let us be like oysters in our response to others that try to hurt us in some way.
An oyster forms pearls by secreting a mineral substance called nacre and uses it to quarantine an irritant.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@1hopefulman that's a great idea! That's how we will build up our pearls of wisdom
@MsBooklover (4097)
It depends on the circumstances, who said it, what they said, and how they said it.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, there are a lot of variables! My main thrust is to keep the peace.
@1hopefulman Keeping the peace works for me. However, sometimes I get testy around those who think they can make a fool out of me.
@1hopefulman (32385)
@MsBooklover Nobody likes to be made a fool of. But in the end who is really the fool?
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
If it is something related to my work let us say some mistakes I did and someone criticize me I try to take it positively. But if people pass rude remarks on me for no apparent reasons it does hurt a bit but I try to forget. I prefer not to say anything to those people again
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, when it comes to work mistakes, those need to be pointed out and corrected. Even then, the way that we are approached or approach can be done with kindness and a pleasant tone of voice. It makes for pleasant and lasting relationships.
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
@1hopefulman This makes me remember my manager at my previous job. He used to be very harsh on us and when we would make mistakes he would yell so loudly that the whole floor could hear about it. No one in the team really liked him
@1hopefulman (32385)
@Nawsheen There was no need for that! No wonder, nobody liked him!
@jujunme (2439)
i'm a very sensitive person but i can take criticism as long as it's constructive i do not do well with insulting or rude people and tend to react negatively as well but, as far as people i don't know i simply ignore them
@1hopefulman (32385)
When I think of it, I think that criticism should only be constructive as why should one criticize otherwise? When you "react negatively", what kind of results do you get?
@jujunme (2439)
@1hopefulman Some people criticize for no good reason ,spite, jealously, the person is in a bad mood etc.. i don't do well with people like that and the result is bad feelings all around and perhaps isolation from that person indefinitely
@1hopefulman (32385)
@jujunme No good comes out of the way those kind of people do things.
Wow so many questions about esteem issues . . . are people becoming this intolerant of constructive (helpful) criticism which is meant to point out flaws that are NOT usually seen or mostly avoided by the person being so called 'insulted' ?
@1hopefulman (32385)
Maybe there is so much negativity going around that people don't want to hear even what might be helpful?
@1hopefulman well then whatever their hang up is, it is not mine therefore I will stay as positive as I can be and perhaps some of that will exude to reach them and open their minds up . . .
@1hopefulman (32385)
@Julie555 (2549)
It depends who criticize me. If I consider the person worthy to criticize, then I listen( like my parents
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, loving parents should be listened to as they have our best interests at heart but sadly not all are loving parents. How are your parents?
@Julie555 (2549)
@1hopefulman TRue. AS for my parents, they always supported me and tried to give the best they ever had. I wish every child deserves such loving parents
I try hard not to let anyone steal my joy. When it's about my children I have a harder time since being a mom is the one thing I feel I'm good at.
@1hopefulman (32385)
When you know you are doing good and somebody criticizes or insults you in that matter they are not even worthy of a reply. Best to avoid and ignore such people.
• Lithuania
When I was younger I usually easy got offended, but with years I became thick-skinned, it is not easy to offend me.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Great! With years of life and experience comes wisdom for those that learn.
No one likes to be insulted. I have met many rude persons in my life - but I know how to handle them.
@1hopefulman (32385)
Right! What do you usually do?
I'm easily offended, though I'm doing my best not to show it. I don't ignore it, but I don't hurl back either. I slink away and tend to keep out of people's way for a bit until I can be with people again.
@1hopefulman (32385)
You have a heart full of love.
@1hopefulman Thank you.
@1hopefulman (32385)
@buenavida (8191)
• Sweden
I like this words in Proverbs 19:11 "The insight of a man certainly slows down his anger, And it is beauty on his part to overlook an offense."
@1hopefulman (32385)
Very nice! It is interesting that it uses the word "overlook". What comes to my mind is that we should not focus on the offense but look at something further like maybe the person realizing what they have done or said and become a better person in the future and even come and apologize. Maybe, that is what God does with us.
@buenavida (8191)
• Sweden
@1hopefulman Yes, it seems that it is the insight that can help to overlook many kinds of offense! Our Creator has the greatest insight of the human nature..
@1hopefulman (32385)
@buenavida Of course God wants us to resolve every situation peacefully. He has not given us authority to hurt anyone, either with words or actions.
@db20747 (9375)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
I am easily offended. I think there is way to say anything.
@1hopefulman (32385)
So true! It's good to try to think before we say something as there is no need to hurt a person.
@kepweng (18505)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
sometimes yes if some are rude people i already experience it couple of times how you can avoid those people??
@1hopefulman (32385)
Best not to bother with rude people.
@suziecat7 (3394)
• Asheville, North Carolina
I'm pretty thick-skinned but I have no problem hurling back if I feel it's called for.
@1hopefulman (32385)
So, how do you decide when to do what?
@prashu228 (25504)
Ignore is always the best option
@1hopefulman (32385)
Yes, most things are best to be ignored. There are better things to do in life then to waste time with troublesome people.