I Sort of Had a Horse in Our Chicago Suburb

Growing up in the 1950s, most of the TV shows we watched were cowboy shows. We played cowboys all the time. My brother, sister, and I always had secondhand bikes due to the fact that brand new bikes were too expensive. My brother and I, along with our neighborhood friends, would tie ropes around the handlebars of our bikes and pretend the bikes were our very own "horses." Every self-respecting cowboy needed a "horse" at his or her disposal! We were able to maneuver our "horses" with great skill by controlling the ropes secured to the handlebars. My "horse's" name was Buck. He was a great horse. He did not need to be fed or watered, and Buck never bucked me off of his back either. There was no need to tie Buck to a fence post since he never took off for parts unknown. He was a great "horse!" My sister gave me a photo of all three of us, with the neighborhood kids, on our "horses." My sister, being the little one who always had to be with the big kids, is riding a tricycle. I assume a tricycle was to be considered a "pony." Photo: A really old one, for sure!
Thats so cute! I just played with those horse heads on a stick things. Lol
Hey, those horse heads on sticks were pretty darn cool!!!
@Corbin5 yeahh for like 10minutes. Then they got old for the rest of the day. Lol
@Courtlynn Yep, I mean a horse head on a stick does get to a big bore after a while.
I only learnt to ride a bike at the age of 13. I don't know why I didn't learn it sooner.
@sallypup (27145)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Maluse Learning to balance is not always easy. I learned pretty late, too. Now I am back to where I can't balance again and am afraid of hitting concrete.
@sallypup I used my bike for years. All my pupils knew me and my bike. Some years ago, I decided not to use it anymore. I became too slow and wobbly. You fall off a bike more easily when you're slow than when you're fast.
@Maluse I think I learned around age 5, but as long as one learns at any age, a bike is a great deal of fun!
Aw this photo is precious Deborah. We also played cowboys too. We did have bikes not new but it was usually one of us had one and we shared lol So we just made up horses in our play time. Mine was my favorite horse, The Palomino.
Oh, you have a lovely horse as your choice. Not sure what kind of horse my Buck happened to be. Probably a Schwinn horse.
@Corbin5 Yep the old Schwinns do you remember the color of it?
@TiarasOceanView Green!!! I can remember that, but forgot how to use the Downey Ball the other day and my husband had to demonstrate for me. Yikes!
My horse was a walking stick with a horse head .But it was so much fun.
So glad you had a horse too. We cowboys needed those horses back in the day.
That is so cute! I usually was an Indian squaw, with a bow and arrow and a full chief's headdress and war paint. To me is was the beginnings of my love of what makeup could do to a face.
Indian squaw was definitely the right role for you to play!! We could have used an Indian squaw! Even as a cowboy, I loved all the girly-girl stuff too. I love makeup too. You and I must never be without makeup, lotions, perfumes and all that stuff we need!
@Corbin5 We are girly girls now, then, and could have been in the wild, wild, west!!!
@UncleJoe (9970)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You guys were rich! My horse was a stick with baling twine for reins. His name changed depending on which cowboy I wanted to portray.
Well, you had the advantage of having to be more creative than we had to be!!!
for the first 10 years of my life I grew up in Baltimore - our bikes were bikes. I asked my grandfather for a bike and he got me my first beautiful green and white Schwinn. I had that bike for many years.
Oh yes, my first bike was a Schwinn, a green and white one like your Schwinn.
@Corbin5 That might have been the only colors they made back then LOL!
@AbbyGreenhill I think you are right!
How cute you all are! Glad you shared with us this photo! Happy to hear your memories too! Don't think I played cowboy's as a child!
Cowboys was quite fun, I must say. We sure did have a wonderful time as kids. I am thankful for that.
@Corbin5 That makes me even happier! Am happy you had such a happy childhood! Will write you tomorrow for sure as it is almost 6 pm and going to read on my Kindle to 6:30 pm then switch to regular books in bed and get some sleep around 8 or 9 pm!! Falling asleep during those hours of bedtime I mean! You are the greatest, my friend!
@1hopefulman (28612)
I did not have a bike until I was in my teens where I was working and earned enough to buy a second-hand bike. That would be in the mid-sixties. In the fifties we did live in a small village where most were farmers and we owned a donkey. That's as close to a horse that we could get.
I am so glad you had a donkey!! Not me kids have their own donkey!!
@1hopefulman (28612)
@Corbin5 I can't really say it was mine. It was a beast of burden that my parents used to carry loads and sometimes we kids got a ride along with other stuff.
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That is a lovely photo of simpler carefree times @Corbin5 :) . Yes, I think the tricycle might very well have been a pony
I asked Sis if she gave her "pony" a name, but the poor little thing could not remember.
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 , awwww she was still really young in the photo.
Great photo of you with your 'horses'. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with your 'horses' growing up.
We had such a wonderful childhood since all the moms were home, and we could play and play all day long. Great memories for me.
@Corbin5 That's wonderful.
@MsBooklover (3911)
Isn't that cute? I never thought of a bike being a horse.
We all named our horses, and I do believe my horse Buck was the best horse in town.
@Corbin5 This makes a great story!
Sounds like fun times, I used to stick my he man sword in my bike tire so it sounded like a motorcycle lol.
Brilliant idea, my friend. We could clip baseball cards to the spokes of our bike tires using clothespins to get that motorcycle sound. Weren't we cool back then?
@Corbin5 The coolest
@sueznewz2 (9999)
• Alicante, Spain
Sounds like great fun .... I spent many happy hours on my bike when I was young too...
Oh yes, having a bike was one of the best things a kid could have back in the day.
@acelawrites (10989)
It's a beautiful photo! And beautiful vintage bikes too! I wish children today could enjoy playing outdoors instead of playing with computers.
I know. We were so safe back then. Al the moms were home and watched all of us. Everyone watched out for other parents' children. A good time to grow up for us.
@crossbones27 (19602)
• Redlands, California
My bike was never a horse, but a Cadillac. Really it was Pinto, but if one is going to pretend, might as well pretend all the way. Good imagination you guys had. That is also a very neat photo of the biker gang you were in at the time.
Oh yes, it does look like a biker gang!!!! So glad you bike was a Pinto, a mighty fine horse!
@Lizzyib (453)
That's a great photo. I remember zipping around on my bike too imagining it was a horse.
We sure did have a lot of fun with those bikes!!! Glad you have fond memories too.
Such a cute photo! I love old photos and old memories!
Asked Sis what she named her "pony," but she could not recall.
Great old days the 50's, I remember when we played cowboys and Indians with our little friends. It's nice to have old photos to remember those times.
Yes, those old photos can be quite comforting.
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
i love it. you reminded me of how much fun it was when we played outside as kids and made up our own things without technology or fancy toys. kids in the neighborhood would get together and also play ball and put on shows like an outside theater for each other.
Oh yes, we put on a lot of shows too. Such fun for us.