Frugal Food: June First. Dinner for two for under $10

Ponce De Leon, Florida
Welcome back to this series. I took a break from them for about two weeks because it was just getting tiring. Although I do really like doing them so I decided to start them back up with the start of the month. So here we are. Tonight is sweet and sour chicken night, and because they were on sale this past weekend, I am cheating a little bit and using the Chicken Helper box which comes with the rice, some seasoned coating for the chicken and the base powder mix for the sweet and sour sauce. As with most meals I make I add some seasonings along the way. We will also be having steamed broccoli. So without further ado, here is the breakdown: Two bunches of broccoli- $2.50 Two pounds of chicken- $3.50 Chicken Helper- $1.39 Garlic butter and cheese for broccoli- $0.75 Vegetable oil-$0.25 Dinner for two total: $8.39 (And if it works there will be a picture attached, probably not the best because its taken with my tablet)
That's still over 4 bucks each lol!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@JohnRoberts , Still cheaper than going to the buffet though. Lol. Whats for dinner at your house?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns I don't know what I will have for dinner. There's still some leftover potato salad.
@Nana2016 (258)
This will be a wonderful meal. I have wrote it down and I am going to make this for dinner Saturday night. Thank You for this receipe I can not wait for more to come. Prayers
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@Nana2016, not so much a recipe as it is just a outline of what i made and what it cost. lol. it was good though. Check back tomorrow for another frugal food post.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@Nana2016 (258)
@thislittlepennyearns Oh I will Thank You
Great price on your meal and it sounds delicious!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@NJChicaa What are you guys going to have?
@thislittlepennyearns oh I have no idea. My pork chops are still frozen. I might make a linguine dish with whole roasted garlic cloves, crushed canned whole tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. Or I may just have another drink and skip dinner.
@josie_ (5950)
I'm surprise at the relative price of your food items with those here in the Philippines. Chicken here cost 150 pesos a kilo (2.2 lbs) and broccoli about 100 pesos/kilo since I last visited the public market (like most of the rest of the world we use the metric system) Exchange rate of one US dollar is 50 pesos. For ordinary housewives around the world food take up a major portion of our budget.
This sounds quite good April. I am not up to eating a lot today, but I would have a bite.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TiarasOceanView , Better hurry if you want that bite. IT is almost gone lol
Sounds like a good meal to me.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TRBRocks420, It was pretty good. What are you guys having for dinner?
@thislittlepennyearns I am not sure yet, something good.
Sounds like a great cheap meal.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It was pretty good, although your pizza dinner sounded good too.
@thislittlepennyearns pizza is almost always good.
@KristenH (21719)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Great stuff for dinner.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It was good, and pretty filling.
@KristenH (21719)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@prashu228 (24867)
I like sweet and sour chicken