I was suggested I take 50,000 IU of Vitamin D2 once a week

Dallas, Texas
My doctor told me today that my Vitamin D level was a bit lower than what it should be and to bring it back up I was suggested he provide 4 - pills each containing 50,000 IU of Vitamin D2 to bring it back up taken only once a week. I took one thinking that it was quite a lot for one dose but thought more along the lines of > I don't get out enough in the sun and I can instead of taking 50,000 IU per week which would be about 7,000 IU per day, I could get by with getting in more sunshine every day and taking the normal daily supplement recommended by the Food And Drug Administration for adults up to 70 years of age which by my estimates would be about 600 IU per day according to Mayo Clinic. The dosage I was suggested is more than 10 times the suggested amount for the average adult up to age 70. What I took was more like a MEGA D pill. I don't like the idea personally, of taking 50,000 IU in a single dose. It may be that I am lower than normal at this time but then I know also that I never had it low until recently and if it is a matter of needing more, I do know that for a long time I have not eaten foods that contain a lot of Vitamin D, that is, D2 or D3, and also I realize that I do not get out as much as I used to and that can be changed. All I need to do is to get out more, get more sun in, take the basic 600 IU of Vitamin D daily and drink more orange juice and more milk. Eventually my level of Vitamin D will go up. I had a pretty good bill of health for my age from the blood labs taken last week. The only thing I need to lower is my LDL a bit and lower my Creatinine levels by avoiding excess salt and excess red meats. That said, I know the doctor has my health in mind and I appreciate that but since it is my idea that the 50,000 IU dose he recommended me take once a week for 4 weeks with refills indicates that he may think I have other issues he has failed to actually go into detail with me. Since he did not provide any reasons for me to take such a high amount of supplemental Vitamin D I will allow taking that one pill one time only and after a week or so I will simply go from the mega D pill to taking the normal supplement because I know I haven't been taking supplemental vitamins on a daily basis ever. I in fact, forget to take my 1 A Day vitamins and for that I am at fault. I know I can bring my levels of Vitamin D up if I only stick to a regular regimen of a one a day multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement as long as I can keep record of it and learn to make it a habit. According to the Mayo Clinic on the subject of Vitamin D deficiency, as it is a very common deficit in the American diet, there are more benefits to getting the right levels of it in your daily diet through sunlight and supplemental pill form. Read more from the Mayo Clinic if you want to learn more about Vitamin D and it's value to your daily health:
This content does not have an English version. Search All Mayo Clinic TopicsQuality CareFind out why Mayo Clinic is the right place for your health care. Make an appointment.Meet the StaffFind a directory of doctors and departments at all Mayo Clinic campu
@yukimori (9066)
That's a 'loading dose' of vitamin D. Your doctor probably prescribed it for you because he wants to bring your levels up quickly, and the 50,000 IU dosage is a convenient way of doing that. Getting more sun and eating more foods with vitamin D in them is a good plan for the long-term, but it's not going to help solve the deficiency as quickly as your doctor wants to do. If you use sunscreen, it interferes with the body's synthesis of vitamin D. On top of that, our ability to synthesize it decreases as we age. Do you have any idea what the actual blood numbers were? That would probably explain why your doctor wants to do the loading dose. It could have something to do with age, too... vitamin D deficiency can affect our bones and immune systems, even make us more susceptible to cancers. My neurologist and I discussed it at my last appointment, and it can cause all sorts of weird neurological symptoms. I've even read that there's a Brazilian doctor who is successfully treating his multiple sclerosis patients with high doses of vitamin D and seeing reversal of symptoms. It's crazy how much of an impact one little thing can make on a person's body.
• Dallas, Texas
I understand exactly what you are saying. And I will check my numbers in a few days online. I have a slight decrease in full efficiency in kidney function from taking Lithium for 22 years and was taken off that medication due to this fact as afterward my creatinine levels went back down to a safe level. I may have somewhat compromised my kidney function from long term Lithium use.
@shivamani10 (11228)
• Hyderabad, India
Besides taking vitamin D, there should be more exposure to the sun rays in the morning and in the evening. I am doing that.
how many minutes?