TV: The Early Days

@UncleJoe (11434)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
It seems like a crime, as well as a shame, that our kids pooled their hard-earned money to buy us one of those big flat screen TV sets. We very seldom watch it, or do anything else with it. It has so many features, that, although thoroughly explained to me, I still don’t understand. Something about hooking up the computer to the TV, which I saw no use for. I am still overwhelmed that I can change channels by remote control. That is probably because when I was a kid, I spent half my life as a TV remote. “Joe! Turn it to channel 3!” “Joe! Turn it up a little! Not that much! Down, down, right there!” Still, it is absolutely amazing how far television has come in my life time, both in programming and technology. After all, unlike most MyLotters here, I remember when it was invented. It didn’t have a lot of today’s features, like the remote, color, or a clear picture. When the wind blew too hard, all we could see was what looked like a snowstorm. Daddy tried to convince us that we were watching a movie about a Polar Bear eating marshmallows in a blizzard. If I looked hard enough, I could see it. Television was still in it’s infancy, yet with a lot of improvements to come. I remember well hearing from all of my 1st Grade classmates about this new thing called “television”. Everybody was just raving about it, but I still didn’t know what it was. Then one day, I came home from school, and there it sat. A little brown wooden box with an 8” glass screen in the front. It even had it’s own little table with a doily under it. I was finally going to get to check it out. To our dismay, we sat around watching that thing night after night for over a month but none of us were very impressed with it. Even my daddy felt like it was a waste of time. Then came the day we had electricity installed in our house. That certainly made watching that thing more worthwhile.
Ha! Yeah electricity would be the ticket. Aw Joe, I know what you mean, there is a big tv here a 4K..dont ask me I cant do it.
• Lenox, Georgia
Electricity would definitely help!
It sure would have.
You were finally able to see a picture instead of a blank screen.
hahahaha I knew there had to be a laugh in there and you didn't disappoint. Yes, tv has come a long way since the days when we had to get up and change the channel and got our snacks when commercials were on. Now I pretty much record everything and speed watch it without commercials.
@shivamani10 (11168)
• Hyderabad, India
You wrote it exactly what it was in the early days. After the installation of electricity, you might have enjoyed it to the maximum. I too felt very happy when my father took me to a radio shop and purchased a GEC radio. It was some 50 years back. I remember the price was Rs.700/-. In those days it was really a luxury item. He also purchased a Dyonora T.V after shifting to Hyderabad. It was a black and white T.V. Still it is there. It works.
@louievill (20389)
My family owned one of the first television sets in our neighborhood in Manila, I remember as a kid that it was a Radiowealth encased in a cabinet with sliding doors lol. It was natural to us that neighborhood kids and even family friends and neighbors would be sitting in our floor sala just to watch the wonder unfold in their eyes
I saw TV for the first time (black and white) when I went to the US when I was 11 years old. In my country we didn´t have TV until 1962.
lol We have a smart TV too and I hooked my computer t it the first day we had it and since then I can't remember how to do it lol And yes, I was my father's remote control as well.
@BarBaraPrz (21385)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Oh, you're so funny. But I remember those days, too. One Sunday I was the antenna... if I moved away from the TV, there went the picture, too. Had to sit right up beside it so the rest of the family could watch The Wizard of Oz.
@dramagirl26 (3319)
• Ringgold, Virginia
It's amazing how much TV has changed over the years. I grew up in the 80s, where the TV will still pretty basic, although there were cable channels.
Oh, for crying out loud!
That electricity installation opened up a whole new world to you and your family!!! So cool to have a use for the plug attached to the TV!!! We used my little sister as a remote for the TV.
Love the twist at the end Electricity will make all the difference to watching TV. I remember the infant days of television, the snowy pictures, black and white, sitting on legs, and spending hours watching it instead of doing my homework.
We did not have a TV until 1970 when we got one colored and really cheap.