The Best Boxing Movies: #8 "Fat City" (1972)

Los Angeles, California
Few of you have probably heard of this acclaimed small movie directed by legendary filmmaker John Huston. Based on the novel by gritty author Leonard Gardner. “Fat City” is the flip side of the boxing world. No glamorous Vegas title fights here but the dreary morose world of tank town boxing. This is a place of life’s losers as has beens, the punch drunk and third raters fight for fifty bucks in a dingy small town club hall. Stacy Keach plays washed up once promising fighter Tully drowning his sorrows in booze while deluding himself he is still a contender. His young protege Ernie (Jeff Bridges) is a clueless wannabe boxer who is swiftly knocked out in his match. Huston shot the film in realistic style in Stockton, a rough town in California’s Central Valley. “Fat City” is not only a grim look at boxing but a metaphor for life’s desperate disappointment and heartache.
I do not recall seeing this one. Sounds really good though John. Jeff Bridges yeah
This one is very early in Bridges' career.
@JohnRoberts Good would love to see him. What did you watch it on?
@TiarasOceanView I saw Fat City many years ago.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Never saw that one, but remember another old time classic, "The Champ" with Little Rascal's Jackie Cooper as the Champ's son. Boy that was Hollywood boxing drama at it's finest I think they did a remake later with Jon Voigt in it that was also very good.
The original The Champ is from the 1930s and starred Wallace Beery. The remake was from the late 70s.
Not a movie that I would like. I only liked Rocky's movies for boxing.
This movie is not to everyone's taste.
I think I really need to see this.