Review – The One Love Manchester Benefit Concert

Preston, England
Two weeks ago a terrorist killed children, parents and pop fans leaving a concert by Ariana Grande at Manchester’s Manchester Evening News Arena. Tonight, Ariana returned to the city with a spectacular line up of music heroes for a fund raising and message of love over hate concert that turned into the greatest pop concert since Bob Geldof’s live Aid. To put the show together in such a short time must have been a logistical nightmare, not just in securing the Old Trafford Cricket Ground venue, but ensuring high policing and security too, especially given another terrorist attack took place in London the night before the event. Many in the audience were survivors and heroes from the Manchester tragedy (granted free admission). The performers played pared down, often acoustic sets that gave great emphasis to the lyrics and the audience often led the singing. Performances were often emotional, and some songs were quite spontaneous and under-rehearsed which made them more rather than less lovely. The lack of egotism and diva-grand standing was refreshing. Highlights were frequent, Coldplay, The Black Eyed Peas, Miley Cyrus, and Noel Gallagher among them, and there were lovely surprises, such as the Manchester Parrs Wood School Choir, joined by Ariana Grande. There were messages of support and solidarity by satellite from Stevie Wonder, Sir Paul McCartney and many others. The cast united on stage to sing Grande’s signature tune, One Last Time, the song that had ended the Arena show too. That was marked as the finale, but there was one last breath-taking tear-jerking moment as Grande took to the mic alone to offer an unaccompanied rendition of Over The Rainbow – this was music, this was love, this was Manchester at its finest. So proud of my city of birth. Youtube – Ariana Grande singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow at the One Love Manchester Concert Arthur Chappell
Ariana Grande sang 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' at One Love Manchester to close out her benefit concert for the victims of the Manchester concert bombing htt...
It's wonderful that they raised funds and had a concert. I only saw a couple minutes of it.
That was quick. I didn't realize the show was happening so fast.
@Deepizzaguy (7287)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Maybe Ariana will really appreciate the fans this time who appreciate her musical talent. I know that living under a microscope is a tough job since any negative remarks that she said in the past almost harmed her musical career.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Aw thats great she chose to return. Very honorable thing to do Arthur. Oh yes I can imagine, only imagine the security needed. Still, glad she did it. I had read she was going to, but did not know when.
@sugartoes (33772)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I was just watching it it was a AWESOME turn out with MILLIONS of people
You've written a good article here Arthur, it makes me think you would have been a good journalist. I must admit I'd not heard of this young lady before this outrage, but she has a powerful voice and her rendition of that song was very moving. Good for her for doing the benefit.
You made tears come to my eyes. This is a great way to say to the terrorists that life must go on and we do not fear to continue to do what we like and to step keeping our heads straight. We do not fear them and they will lose.
I didn't watch any of it, but it does make me proud to be British. :)
How wonderful of everyone to support it and to perform for the victims. Your city at it's finest!
That's cool that they put it together so quickly.
What a wonderful attitude!
THis is wonderful. So happy to see this happening.
@arthurchappell It's wonderful that she did this for Manchester and in reality for the world. It shows that while we may find ourselves fighting evil, we won't let evil stop us from living.
• Preston, England
@Berniezeitler Beautifully said, thank you
@arthurchappell I know that the British people will always stand to face the danger and not hide like cowards.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck always the way here - hope a/ I never face such dangers b/. I cope bravely if I do too