House of the Rising Sun

Daytona Beach, Florida
Once there was a British rock band in the 1960s who chose to call themselves The Animals. Now I don’t think I would want to call my band by this name but when they started coming out with hits like their ever popular number 1 hit single”The House of the Rising Sun” and other which included “We’ve Gotta Get Out of This Place”, “It’s My Life” and “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” who was going to complain about a name. The band was simply fantastic and I’m sure there are many of you who have heard their number one hit single played many times as it became incredibly popular and is still played on the radio today. The Animals became part of the British Invasion heading to the U.S. They had a kind of bluesy and gritty sound which was their signature. At one point they went through various changes and with a completely different act headed to California known as Eric Burdon and the Animals becoming part of the psychedelic and hard rock scene. Achieving success with such songs as “San Franciscan Nights” and “When I Was Young”. Throughout their career the Animals have had ten top twenty hits on both the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and the U.K. Singles Chart. The Animals first came together in Newcastle-upon-Tyne during 1962 and 1963 at which time the boys in the band were Eric Burdon vocals, Alan Price organ and keyboards, Hilton Valentine guitar, John Steel drums and Bryan “Chas” Chandler bass. They chose the name “animals’ because they has a wild stage act. Their first single was on EMI’s Columbia record label “Baby Let Me Take You Home”. It was the in June of 1964 that they skyrocketed to fame with their transatlantic number one hit “House of the Rising Sun”. As with other acts before them the Animals made their U.S debut in November of 1964 on the ever popular The Ed Sullivan Show and also performed in theaters all over New York City. They arrived in NYC in grand style with a motorcade of Sunbeam Alpine Series IV convertibles coming in from JFK International Airport. What made it such a show was that each member of the band rode in their own convertible with a fashion model beside them in the back and the top of the convertible rolled down. In December of 1964 an MGM movie “Get Yourself a College Girl” came out in which the Animals sang a Chuck Berry song “Around and Around”. In 1965 the Animals put together a big band in order to play in the 5th Annual British Jazz & Blues Festival. The following year they came out with a collection of their hits The Best of the Animals which became a best-selling album in America. However by the time September of 1966 rolled around The Animals had disbanded. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994 and in 2003 their version of “The House of the Rising Sun” ranked number 123 on Rolling Stone magazine’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. On the same list their “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” came in at number 233 and both of these songs were included in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. Give “House of the Rising Sun” a listen and you will be haunted by it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animals
Eric Burdon - vocals Alan Price - keyboards Hilton Valentine - guitar Chas Chandler - bass John Steel - drums Lyrics There is a house in New Orleans They cal...
I loved this group. They really did have some of the best songs that have great memories attached for me. “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” is my favorite.
Another fantastic song @Colbin5
Thanks for telling me. I did not know they started out where they did Sandra. I love them! This is the first song I learned to play on guitar.
Do you still play the guitar @TiarasOceanView
@RasmaSandra I do not have my guitar anymore sadly. But it is like riding a bike, I know I could still play.
@TiarasOceanView that is like me and my piano.
I saw The House of the Rising Sun in New Orleans years ago and sang the song there, too, badly of course.
Wish I could see it maybe someday @DianneN
@RasmaSandra I hope you get to see everything that you would like to see!
I liked the Animals and this is one of their song I like more. I have seen the "House of Rising Sun" in New Orleans.
That is something I would love to see @LadyDuck
@RasmaSandra The Hotel Villa Convento on Ursulines Street is the house rumored to be "The House of Rising Sun".
• Pamplona, Spain
That is my favourite song of theirs actually. I still sing it and listen to it also every so often. Great write up.
Glad you enjoyed @lovinangelsinstead
• Pamplona, Spain
@RasmaSandra "Don´t Let Me Be Misunderstood", that is another favourite one of mine too. Tony Blackburn used to plug these Songs a lot in the morning.
@pgntwo (22580)
• Tripoli, Libya
Class song, although I have never been to New Orleans.
Do not like the name that they took for their band at all.
They were a great band but yes, the name could have been different @marlina