Fake New or Real News or Lopsided Real News ~ Which is Worse?

which news
Austin, Texas
Hey! Did you hear the news? Uuuhh ... Which NEWS? Came across an interesting tidbit. This guy explains the problem with getting your news from Facebook (or other social media). He clarifies what I know but he explained it better than me, so I'll use his words. Mike McCue, CEO of news curator app Flipboard. “McCue said getting all your news from either friends or algorithms is "challenging and semi-dangerous" because today's social platforms, like Twitter and Facebook, favor content that people engage with, driving "extremist" content to the top. ...” He compares it to eating potato chips, i.e. “junk food”. I'm a tad bit upset with the analogy since I really like potato chips. But I understand. So it's not really a matter of fake news versus real news because if the mechanism for reporting real news sort of creates “false scales” and tips the balance away from clear and balanced or objective reporting, then the news is not really serving the intended purpose, i.e. educating and informing the general public, so they can make intelligent decisions. That being said, I'm still glad that social media was invented. OK! So you have to work your brain a little bit harder and use your intelligence more to filter through what's being reported and consider your sources. But would you rather live in The Dark Ages where nothing is reported? (Note: "Early Middle Ages, the early medieval period of western European history—specifically, the time (476–800 ce) ..." REF: britannica.com/event/Dark-Ages) Just thought I'd share this.
In a wide-ranging interview, Mike McCue, CEO of news curator app Flipboard, talked about how -- and from where -- people get their news nowadays and how it shapes their worldview. From a report: McCue said getting all your news from either friends or algor
@lovebuglena (1185)
How do you know if you are getting real news or fake news from the source you are visiting? Some news sources make it seem legit but the news is made up or over exaggerated.
• Austin, Texas
You are no obligation to verify everything. Hone in on the news that's important and research that. Not everybody is out there lying! Some folks are telling the truth. If it's important enough to you, you should try to validate the reports. Truth has a common thread that ties everything together. Lies have threads that break! NOTE: I did not say it would be easy.
There are too many bad journalists, they do not "report" the news, they "comment" the news and this is the wrong way to go. People must read the facts and think with their brains.
• Austin, Texas
speaker
The journalists who want to curry favor, express their own opinions, or just get a steady paycheck are contributing to the deterioration of the democratic ideals. Don't they know how important freedom of speech and freedom the press is to a free world?? They will if they wake up one day and find that it no longer exists!! If you're not going to be a real journalist, quit the job and let somebody else who will be a real journalist do the job!! We don't need fake news and we don't need fake journalists either!! Yes. I'm screaming and shouting. It's something to scream and shout about. And I'm not getting off my soap box about this matter any time soon.
@cmoneyspinner You are right, just supply news and avoid to comment. The comments are made to direct people to consider an idea instead of another. This is brainwashing.
• Austin, Texas
@LadyDuck - OK. With that comment, I'll get off my soap box. I'm a better mood today so I don't want to spoil it talking about the news.
• Maidstone, England
I think nearly all news is unbalanced, for example in the UK at the moment we have an election coming up and our newspapers cover stories biased to the political side they favour. It is increasingly difficult to get a balanced view of the news, but I agree social media platforms have a tendency to sensationalise stories and headlines.
• Austin, Texas
My husband believes and says the same thing. I agree but I still say you can extract pertinent and relevant facts, information and data, even if a report is biased. Just pick out the good stuff and throw the garbage in the trash where it belongs. Sure it may be a biased or unbalanced report. But that doesn't mean the reporters can pull the wool over the eyes of the public and fool everybody!! I maintain that the GP (general public) is not as dumb as some people would like for them to be. I watched "3 Days of the Condor" and I disagree with guy who said the citizens don't want to make decisions. They want somebody else to do that for them. That's wrong! People want the freedom to make their own decisions and they don't want other people hoarding information and keeping them in the dark. [i]What makes you so much smarter than me that you have to do MY thinking for ME? I understand the need for secrecy and confidentiality regarding "official government business". I don't understand the need for absolute power. Let me restate that. [b]There is no need for absolute power!!/b] Sometimes secrecy and confidentiality gets replaced with power and control, in a bad way.
"I'm not a field agent, I just read books!" Theatrical trailer for Three Days of the Condor (1975), starring Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway. Directed by Syd...
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, I guess in this case we must be more broad minded. I get news from some well known news sources like CNN.
• Austin, Texas
CNN?? I rather like Al Jazeera English, BBC America, and NHK World. But I think the PBS Newshour is the gold standard. Bloomberg comes in at a close second, because you can't top their reporting on business matters.