Pandan Chiffon Cake

@sishy7 (27667)
Australia
# 72 I baked this green-colored sponge cake. Can’t say that I made it from scratch, I used a premix package for it. All I needed to do was to add eggs, coconut milk, and a little bit of water. The green color made people think it was a matcha or green-tea flavored cake. But this was a pandan-flavored cake. Pandan leaf extract is very popular in South-East Asia and used for many cooking from fragrant rice to sweet desserts and drinks. It adds the natural green coloring to food and it has a distinctly pleasant aroma. Coconut and pandan also make a nice combination – many dishes from the region have cocopandan flavors. My cake looks a bit burned on the outside... But I assure you it does not taste like charcoal at all. In fact, this cake is so light, fluffy, and nicely flavored with the coconut milk and pandan extract.
It does look a bit burned because of the color. I thought its of chocolate flavor too. Yes, pandan is very common here in the Philippines. We make buko pandan salad and its so delicious. And I suppose that cake is so delicious too.
@sishy7 (27667)
It's yummy! Yeah, there's no chocolate used in it... My kids said I left it too long in the oven, but I wanted to make sure the inside was done and it sure was...
@sishy7 Oh, I see. Your children must be so happy eating the cake. So what beverage did you partner it with?
@sishy7 (27667)
@SIMPLYD They loved it! The cake was gone in no time. I ate that with a cup of hot tea...
Your cake looks so professional In fact I almost think it is a chocolate cake since it is brown. I didn't realize it is a bit burned I haven't tried the pandan-flavored stuff yet. So I am curious to its taste. I really like to try your cake.
@sishy7 (27667)
If you like coconut-flavored cake, I think you'll like this cake. It has the pandan aroma but it has more of a coconut taste, perhaps because of the thick coconut milk that goes into the cake.
@sishy7 I like coconut-flavored.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@sishy7 My favourite way of getting coconut, enrobed in dark chocolate:
@hereandthere (28899)
i actually like and get the "burnt" areas (top, bottom, sides), that slightly bitter taste, but not too much that, as you say, it tastes like charcoal. is it this cake mix you used?
Pondan Chiffon Pandan is a cake mix to make delicious chiffon cake. It has a soft cake texture and delicious...
@sishy7 (27667)
I believe it is! I got it from an Asian grocery store. It's on the same aisle as the White King Hotcake that I usually buy. I was looking for the pancake mix and saw the Pandan Cake so I thought I'd try it...
@sishy7 i think you're supposed to take it out, then let it cool on top of the oven, not leave it in there after the prescribed time. even though i read and know what pandan is, i thought it was chocolate mint when i saw the brown and green color heh-heh
@sishy7 (27667)
@hereandthere everyone thinks it's chocolate cake... and did you notice how different mine turned out from how it's supposed to as pictured on the box...
@jaiho2009 (39021)
One of my best selling cake is chiffon. Many times I plan to add pandan extract but always forgot due to other orders. Since I am on a vacation for 2 weeks, I guess this pandan chiffon cake is a nice idea to surprise my customers
do you do all the baking and cooking yourself?
@sishy7 (27667)
Yes, please do it , I'm sure it will be a hit too! What other chiffon cake flavors do you sell?
@jaiho2009 (39021)
@sishy7 Chocolate flavor is always the favorite , mango flavor comes next to my orders. But I am more inlove with the cheesecakes
@Sreekala (22073)
So delicious. But you promised that you will give a recipe as well
@sishy7 (27667)
I'm not sure about the recipe - I made the cake from a cake mix package... I only needed to add some eggs, coconut milk, and water...
@Sreekala (22073)
@sishy7 Ok dear no problem. I even don't know how to use the oven properly. I only used it for warming foods.
Looks like a very yummy cake there.
@sishy7 (27667)
It's yummy! Do you like coconut/pandan flavored cake?
@diosabella (4822)
Like the color of the cake in the inside. I never tried pandan flavor making a sponge cake. But I did vanilla, orange and mocha flavor. This food talk is making me hungry.
@sishy7 (27667)
Yeah, it sure is a different kind of sponge or chiffon cake... I've done lemon and chocolate ones before. There's also what I call marble cake where vanilla and chocolate are combined and they would make the cake looks like marbled.
@sishy7 I have pandan plant out in the garden. But im not sure if I can make a cake out of it. But the smell is really nice when we cook rice with it and some sweet rice cakes. Oh and its good infusing in juices too.
@sishy7 (27667)
@diosabella It's great how the plant is grown locally there... Down here I can only find pandan leaves in a frozen package and quite costly to buy them...
Looks really good sort of similar to what I eat once in a while that is a Vietnamese dessert
@sishy7 (27667)
Oh yes, pandan flavor is probably used a lot in Vietnamese dessert too...
@sishy7 I think so :) it's the green right?
@sishy7 (27667)
@infatuatedbby yes, the pandan leaves extracts usually make the green food coloring...
@dpk262006 (56115)
It is colorful and looks very tempting. Could I have a portion of it?
@dpk262006 (56115)
I expect a yes or No from you.
@sishy7 (27667)
@dpk262006 It's a yes but I just don't know how to get it to you...
@dpk262006 (56115)
@sishy7 Thanks for saying yes. You saying yes, made me assume that I have eaten the delicacy.
@atoz1to10 (6842)
It looks delicious... Is it easy to make?
@sishy7 (27667)
it's easy because I was using a packaged cake mix and just following the instructions on the box...
@atoz1to10 (6842)
@sishy7 I think I will try to make it. Thanks.
@sishy7 (27667)
@atoz1to10 You're welcome! Let us know how yours turns up...
@Elisa1234 (7681)
Wow! I havent't tried this one Pandan Chiffon cake. Will you bake this cake for me if i will visit in your place? I wanna try it. I wanna learn how to bake a cake too.
@sishy7 (27667)
When are you coming? I'll have the ingredients ready for you!
@Elisa1234 (7681)
@sishy7 Hahaha I am not sure when is the exact date! Maybe after my graduation and if i get a stable job, I will save some money so i can visit there in your place
@sishy7 (27667)
@Elisa1234 Ah, so you are in school... All the best with your studies!
looks good enough for me to try some...
@sishy7 (27667)
Yes, don't let the burned-looking outside of the cake keep you away from trying the soft, moist, and delicious taste of this cake...
@sishy7 the first place I look is to the green..
@sishy7 (27667)
@CookieMonster46 Yeah, if I didn't cut the cake to show the green inside, it probably wouldn't look too attractive in the picture.
Oh my. My favorite kind of cake. I love pandan cake.
@sishy7 (27667)
Have you tried baking some yourself?
@sishy7 Yes. But I made them in cupcakes. That way, I only have to get a piece whenever I want to eat rather than kept on slicing the cake.
@sishy7 (27667)
@rachz_kisses that's a good idea! hey, you just reminded me how I want to try this mug cake recipe using a microwave...
I was thinking mint - and I thought that was chocolate on the outside! I'm not sure if I've had pandan . . . how would you describe the taste? That looks really good!!!!
@sishy7 (27667)
Someone else thought it's a chocolate mint flavored cake (I think it was hereandthere)... The pandan flavor is more like in the aroma of the cake. The taste itself is more like a coconut cake, perhaps because of the thick coconut milk that goes in it...
@sishy7 I think of grasshopper cake (I believe that's minty - but no grasshoppers ) with the green and chocolate look. Next time I go to an Asian market, I'll have to look for this stuff . . . now I am on the lookout for two cakes thanks to you !
@sishy7 (27667)
@much2say yes, remember it's Japanese cheesecake and pandan chiffon cake...
@thelme55 (14014)
I love Pandan flavoured food especially chiffon cake. Yummy.
@sishy7 (27667)
Ah, I believe you have tried this chiffon cake then...
@thelme55 (14014)
@sishy7 yes, I have tried that one you bought but I didn't like it much because I have made ( sometime before that) chiffon cake myself with the real Pandan leaves and it was far better than the ready mix one in the shop. Sad to say, I can't make Pandan chiffon cake here in Germany as there's no Pandan plant here.
@sishy7 (27667)
@thelme55 down here they sell the pandan leaves in frozen section of the Asian grocery stores...
@dianadee (1729)
• South Africa
Enjoy learning new things! Never come across a recipe like this.
@sishy7 (27667)
The cake has a wonderful cocopandan flavor...
@dianadee (1729)
• South Africa
@sishy7 Well that is a new flavour for me!
@sishy7 (27667)
@dianadee it's a combination of coconut plus pandan leaves extracts...
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Did the boys like it?
@sishy7 (27667)
they loved it! I have a feeling I'll be making it again soon...
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@sishy7 then you need more pandan extracts and more coconut milk.
@sishy7 (27667)
@sol_cee The pandan extracts is already included in the cake mix package. I just need to buy more coconut milk and eggs...
@velvet53 (16145)
• Palisade, Colorado
That looks so good. I bet it was very tasty.
@sishy7 (27667)
Thanks! Yes, it was...
@velvet53 (16145)
• Palisade, Colorado
@sishy7 I do like the green. It really shows up.
@sishy7 (27667)
@velvet53 They might have added some food coloring in the packaged mix, unfortunately, for it to turn out so bright green... The natural green of pandan extract is only very light almost whitish green...
@HazySue (20030)
I haven't seen that flavoring before. It sounds interesting. I thought at first that the cake was covered with a thin chocolate icing.
@sishy7 (27667)
From responses I got here, you're not the only one who thought that... Some even thought it's a chocolate mint flavor with the green color and all...
@HazySue (20030)
@sishy7 it does look as though it could have been that type of cake too.
@sishy7 (27667)
@HazySue But it's not... It's a coconut-flavored chiffon cake with the fragrance extracted from pandan, a tropical plant...
@DaddyEvil (23496)
• Aurora, Missouri
Well, it looks interesting, at least... I am not sure I would actually eat any of it, but you never know... I might try a taste... LOL! (I have no clue what pandan is or tastes like, so would be wary on that account... NOT because I would distrust your cooking!)
@sishy7 (27667)
It's some kind of extract from a tropical plant called pandan... It's more of an aroma thing than taste to me... You know, kinda like how vanilla would be... It has a nice, distinct, and pleasant smell that enhances flavor...
@DaddyEvil (23496)
• Aurora, Missouri
@sishy7 LOL! (At least I didn't offend you with my comment, sishy!) Hmmm... I can taste the vanilla in different foods. You can't taste the pandan at all?
@sishy7 (27667)
@DaddyEvil Nothing you say will offend me... No, I don't know what to say about pandan taste... The cake tasted like coconut flavor to me but it does have the distinct fragrance of pandan leaves...