Update on my doctor appointment

June 7, 2017 7:26pm CST
My doctor appointment went about as well as to be expected but he is leaving the choice of surgery in my hands because he doesn't want to promise me that it will help when he's not one hundred percent sure. He told me I could go without the surgery and remain in pain or have the surgery and face risks such as hemorrhaging, infection and even death. So with surgery its a 50/50 chance it could get worse or I could die. Without surgery I will just continue to be in the worst pain of my life. So I have a lot of thinking to do and a tough choice to make since I not only have to think about what the right decision is for me but I have to think about my wife and daughter being left without me.
14 people like this
12 responses
@youless (94290)
• Guangzhou, China
8 Jun 17
I know it is a very difficult decision. Nobody can promise it will be 100% safe for the surgery. It just depends on the risk rate. But 50/50 chance is so hard to make up a mind to carry out the surgery in my opinion. Will there be another doctor who can do the surgery better? At least less risks. I really hope you will find a good solution as I can understand how frustrating it is to suffer the pain. All the best!
5 people like this
8 Jun 17
Thank you and no the risks will remain the same. I just have to decide if the risks are worth taking.
3 people like this
• United States
8 Jun 17
If you don't mind me asking what is the surgery for Blogger? Yes a lot of thinking to do ...
4 people like this
8 Jun 17
I have spina bifida, they put a shunt (tube) in when I was younger to drain fluid off of my brain and now it is broken and my spinal fluid is trapped in the back side of my head. He has to put a new one in so the fluid will drain properly.
3 people like this
• United States
8 Jun 17
@gimitchelray Oh okay I know who you are now..you changed from Gus. Sorry I asked you again. Yes so you still have to think of this coming surgery.
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
@TiarasOceanView yes I was wrong when I posted about my doctor appointment date it was today. Oh I forgot to mention that I changed my name lol I'm sorry
3 people like this
@1creekgirl (12482)
• United States
8 Jun 17
I pray God will guide you to make the right decision. Hugs.
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
Thank you. It will be difficult but I know we will get through whatever we decide.
1 person likes this
@1creekgirl (12482)
• United States
8 Jun 17
@gimitchelray I will pray for God to heal you, whatever you decide.
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
@1creekgirl thank you I appreciate that.
1 person likes this
@atoz1to10 (6821)
• Australia
8 Jun 17
Because doctors don't want to get the blames later on so they always explain to you the bad and the good of everything, and then ask you to make a decision. You are the only one know your own health and body so goodluck to whatever you decide to do. Have you asked your family for their input? How long do you have until you give the doctor your answer?
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
Yes I have talked to my family about it. He didn't give me a time limit because he knows its a difficult decision to make.
1 person likes this
@atoz1to10 (6821)
• Australia
8 Jun 17
@gimitchelray have you come up with a decision yet?
1 person likes this
@andriaperry (61173)
• Anniston, Alabama
8 Jun 17
Hard choice.
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
Yes it is.
1 person likes this
@Hatley (164471)
• Garden Grove, California
8 Jun 17
byt it might also cure t all and you would jave allyour family yet too
3 people like this
8 Jun 17
Yes you're right. My doctor said for me to go home and consider my options and give him a call when I decide.
1 person likes this
@Basilo (644)
11 Jun 17
Yeah very challenging.. sorry for that condition,, hope things work well at the end
2 people like this
12 Jun 17
Thank you. I think everything will be ok.
1 person likes this
@Blondie2222 (22724)
• United States
8 Jun 17
What kind of surgery are you having ? I'm due to have surgery in October and mine is risky as well. I have to have it though as i'm in heart failure and this is supposed to help me to live longer. I pray whatever decision you make it is for the best. Any surgery can be risky i've had 12 heart surgeries in my life and i am still here.
1 person likes this
@SIMPLYD (84751)
• Philippines
8 Jun 17
Have you asked for a second or even third opinion from a specialist also. With surgery, you have to have second and third opinions about it.
1 person likes this
@Av8r27 (109)
8 Jun 17
whatever you decide, I hope you make the right decision. My prayers are with you. :)
1 person likes this
• Preston, England
8 Jun 17
@gimitchelray tough choice but at least they have given you the options and consequences - sounds like enduring the discomfort might be worth facing - best wishe whatever you decide
1 person likes this
@artemeis (4070)
• China
15 Dec
I can understand your hesitation and most of all your fear of the unknown. However please understand that medical science has already come a long way today so what you are being told are the other possibilities in case something go south (two sides of a coin) Not forgetting the legal possibilities that comes with it. On the other side of the coin, you should consider if you should be optimistic with your outlook which will aid with your condition as you prepare your body for the invasive procedure. A lot of times people forget that negativity has bad effects to one's health and even contribute to failures of the most advance treatments available. I think you should consider if tolerating the pain which is aggravating worth it. You need to understand and valuate if this decision will escalate your condition. And I don't have to bring up the premature inevitable that might take place also. I suggest you trust your doctor and take courage to face the procedure. You may want to do your homework by learning and reading more about it. I feel that nothing can assure you more than knowledge knowledge knowledge.