Five-and-a-Quarter Hours

CC0 Public Domain Pixabay
@DWDavis (15061)
Pikeville, North Carolina
That's how many hours I have left teaching public school students. Tomorrow from 7:30am to 12:45pm will be the last school day, an early dismissal day, for me in public school. I do have 3 work days next week. On the third day I will submit my resignation. No one at my current school knows I'm resigning. Doing so won't be easy. I heard from my new boss today. She asked me to come by next week and pick up the keys to the building and my new classroom. I cannot wait to get started preparing for next year. Have you ever counted something down to the nearest hour or minute?
Oh they don't know yet? Huh they are in for a surprise then DW. I know you will be so good at the new school.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Yes, I think they will be very surprised. My plan is to let the Principal know on Wednesday, and then deliver my resignation letter to Central Office on my way home.
@DWDavis My best wishes for you all around DW.
No "To Sir With Love" ending for you.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
No, not from this school.
Why do you guys have 3 days next week? That is absurd with no students to deal with.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
They are Teacher Workdays. The first two are required, the third is optional. In NC, teachers are required to work at least 10 days more than students are required to go to school. We usually work 5 before school starts 3 during the school year and two at the end of the year. Due to weather, we have 3 at the end of this year.
It always took me more than 3 days to finish everything at the end of the year
@DWDavis oh that would make me nuts. I am finished 15 minutes after the last student turns in his exam. I would resent being forced to show up and sit there.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have, Congratulations on your new work. Will you still be teaching school?
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I will still be teaching, but in a very different environment.
@RubyHawk (30557)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@DWDavis Sometimes a different environment is good.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@RubyHawk It will be a radically different experience.
I'm sure I have but I can't remember right now. I hope your new job is amazing for you! =)
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It will be a big change in environment and in type and age of students.
@prashu228 (25516)
@DWDavis for which age group do you teach
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@prashu228 I have always taught middle school, mostly 7th grade, but in my new job I will be teaching 4th graders.
Yes, I had that experience to count down to the nearest minute. I am sure you will feel so much better out of public school.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I wrote a post today about how I am feeling now that my last student day is done. I thought I'd feel a lot happier.
Perhaps 'Battle' is a bit of a harsh way to describe what I've been through over the last couple of years, though with the fighting and my being 'wounded'...
@DWDavis I am going to read your post, but I can imagine that you have now a mixing of happiness and sadness. A page of your life has been turned forever.
@crossbones27 (21981)
• Redlands, California
Are you going to a private school? Sounds like a bitter sweet moment for you. Glad you are doing something that brings more joy to what you do. Teaching is a hard job, I could not do it, but can see why so many love it who can do it. Hope it brings what you are looking for.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am moving to a private school, one associated with my church. The Principal there and I are old friends and have been talking about me teaching there for years. This year it just happened I was ready to make the move when she had the perfect opening for me.
• Redlands, California
@DWDavis Awesome brother, best of luck.
Yeah i did especially when it's about traveling to another country, or just going somewhere for a very relaxing vacation. Good luck on your new job.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm hoping for some very relaxing trips this summer, to the beach, to the river, to the hills.
@DWDavis Go for it!
@valmnz (12862)
• New Zealand
I know that feeling of excitement when changing jobs. Hoping you have a smooth transition.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I think it will be relatively smooth. Even though I'll be teaching a different grade level, and 4 subjects at once, I am licensed in all 4 subject, and know most of the staff at the school already.
@valmnz (12862)
• New Zealand
@DWDavis I'm sure they'll all be very supportive
@PainsOnSlate (20670)
Congratulations on the new job, hope you will love it. When excited about something in the future, yes, I start counting too.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thanks. I am very positive about the change.
Congratulations! I felt that way when I quit my last job. Working up the nerve was hard but such a relief when it was out in the open. Let us know how it goes!
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I imagine I will post a discussion about it after it happens.
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I resigned (retired) from teaching a year ago. I miss teaching and if I could work part time I would go back.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Does SC allow retired teachers to substitute teach. In NC, retired teachers can substitute after six months.
@marsha32 (6688)
Good luck with your new job. I'm sure they will miss you at this one. I count down minutes lots of times....or wish they wouldn't count down so fast!
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Today was one of those days I wanted the clock to move fast, until the day was almost over, then it seemed to come to an end all of the sudden.
I have. Best of luck to you in your new job.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you.
I am happy for you
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thanks. I think it will be a positive change.
Yes, I have for sure! THank God you have something lined up already!
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I learned from watching the problems my father had, quitting jobs without having another job lined up, and promised myself I would never do that.
School here has been out for weeks. I don't think I could get excited about next year already!
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
If I were returning to my same school, subject, and grade, I would pray that summer never ends. But the new job has much promise.
Do you not have to give much notice? Over here teachers have to hand in their letter of resignation by 31st May if they're not going to be working there in September. Enjoy your final teaching day at this school. :(
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Our District requires 30 days notice. On June 14 I will hand in my notice that July 31 will be my last official day of employment. That fits well within the boundaries. Also, NC is a right to work state, so I can technically quit anytime.
• Eugene, Oregon
When I was in the army, we all did that (except the ones who stayed in). It was always "so many days and a wake up."
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I remember well being a "short-timer" when I was in Korea, looking forward to coming home and being REFRAD.
oh dear, they're gonna be most shocked. i hope that'cha do well with yer new school, hon. yepperz, my last 'real job' i did the countdown 'n then got asked to stay a while longer...which wound'p bein' 'nother 6 hours.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I wonder just how surprised some of my colleagues will be when they find out. I have only told two very trusted people, and they won't tell anyone until after I'm gone. Neither of them was shocked I'd chosen to leave.