TV Review - Dr Who - Empress Of Mars

Photo taken by me – The TARDIS in FAB Café, Manchester
Preston, England
Spoiler alerts Great to see a return to form after the atrocious Monks trilogy. This was a real romp, with genuine thrills, laughs, puns on war-movie clichés, and lots of great nods to the whole Who canon. I did wonder why no one at NASA recognized the President Of The World behind all those Monk broadcasts though, but it could have been set before those events The action on Mars played well with the obvious riffs on The First Men In The Moon, which was also lovingly turned into a Mark Gatiss script. The hibernating Ice Warriors had the classic Cybermen hive style resting stations. The portrait of Pauline Collins as Queen Victoria was neat, and I expect other fans were cheering when Alpha Centuri put in an appearance too with an obvious link to the Peladon Ice Warrior stories. Gattis made the Daleks serve tea in a previous story. Maybe the Cybermen need to get a go at brewing up for us too in the interests of balance. The neat packing up of the uniforms for each soldier killed was cool - trust the British redcoats not to leave a mess on the floor on their final departure. The vanishing TARDIS and Missy coming to the rescue was intriguing, especially her asking if The Doctor’s health is OK. Hopefully this will be explained in due course. Funniest moment was certainly Bill snapping at the soldier for his Victorian values before realizing he is actually Victorian. Arthur Chappell
I may have seen this one. I remember one where the TARDIS vanished.
• Preston, England
@celticeagle Saturday was the first ever screening of this episode - the TARDIS goes missing one way or another in quite a few episodes
@arthurchappell ......Oh, I wouldn't know. I don't understand the show at all.
• Preston, England
@celticeagle no problem
@pgntwo (21659)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Just finished watching it on iPlayer, most humourous. Not sure what the "are you well?" bit at the end is about just yet, I am sure it will be revealed before season end, over the next 3 weeks, I guess.
• Preston, England
@pgntwo yes it was purposely cryptic
I really do need to get caught up on this show
They were so VERY British, weren't they?! Bless them.
@sol_cee (15542)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Crazy snapping Bill! Lol
Sounds like a good movie. I've seen a few episodes of Dr. Who, an okay show, though not a real fan.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It's killing me that I haven't seen these yet. I was trying to download a couple of the episodes that I have purchased on Amazon, and my signal wasn't strong enough so I am still hopelessly behind. lol. But this episode sounds good.