Making homemade dog food for dogs with allergies~

Photo of dog food made at home by Pat Z Anthony
@PatZAnthony (13047)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Although over the years some of my information has been shared online about making dog food at home, something caught my eye today that makes me want to share again. Some dogs are not only allergic to certain foods, but also to grass, fleas and various human products. It would be cost-prohibitive for most of us to have sufficient tests done on their pets to be sure of what allergy existed. In our family, generations before us made dog food and it just seems natural for us to do the same. In addition to a commercial turkey and sweet potato kibble, we make wet turkey food to go with the kibble. Some dogs are allergic to beef or turkey and it seems just skipping all the trials worked for us. We can't give recipes here, however, there are some reasonable dog food recipe ideas shared on youtube for those interested it trying this. Dogs are sometimes not able to have a high glycemic menu, as this will cause a flare-up if they are allergic. Also, some dogs can't have oatmeal or rice, as this causes issues with their glands. Making dog food or cat food for your pets is a lot of work when you do it correctly. Vitamins, minerals and more have to be considered, so do your research.
I'd do anything for my cat. Will check out some recipes. He's so darn finicky. Thank you!
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
He wants your home cooking @DianneN
@PatZAnthony Even my husband doesn't want it! Lol!
It's worthwhile for the life of your pet.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, just like doing the right thing for humans, we have to do the right thing for the animals don't we @just4him
@PatZAnthony Yes we do.
I remember that my grandmother always prepared the food for the dog and the cat at home and they were healthy animals who lived long years.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is what prompted us to keep making the dog food and cat food @LadyDuck My great grandparents and grandparents taught us so much and we want to continue in their path.
@PatZAnthony I agree, we should remind the precious things we learned from our grandparents.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@LadyDuck We stay out of trouble when we do things the 'old' way.
How so you know when your dog is allergic fo fleas? It would seem if a rash or something like it couldn't it be from the itching and irritation that causes the dog to scratch and make it look like an allergy but not genuinely, If i had a dog, I would make him or her food. But I adore Marty too much. And my sister says if anything happens to Marty we go to the shelters and get me an adult cat. But not expecting anything to happen to Marty since he is getting to be a big boy at two years old in three months!
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Flea allergies would be diagnosed by a vet @Marty1 Marty is so cute! An adult cat would be nice down the road. We have some that are rescues and they bring a lot of pleasure to everyone here.
@PatZAnthony By the way how does is a flea allergy detected? Do they have creams for it? I ask as i have a massive body rash and was just prescribed a steroidal cream this afternoon because it is so itchy
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Marty1 Are you allergic to a medication that caused this? Doubt you have fleas! Hope you get some answers.
@Hate2Iron (8022)
I do remember my mother-in-law making all of "Fred's" food because he wouldn't eat anything else! So, you aren't alone. :)
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
There are millions of people doing this for various reasons @Hate2Iron
That is so nice that you take such good care of your dogs. You have dogs right Pat? Those look really good for the pets, though I do not have any. Yes it is important that the correct nutrition is inside the food for pets with allergies.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The recipe is fit for humans and anyone that eats meat/poultry would enjoy what we make for the cats and dogs here @TiarasOceanView
@PatZAnthony I bet Pat..it does look rather tasty
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The funny thing is @TiarasOceanView we could probably publish the recipe as a turkey casserole (which it really is) for humans and no one would realize it is the same as we feed the dogs here.
I am glad Ruby doesn't have that problem. I have no desire to make her food,
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is certainly work and like having another human (and we have several) to deal with @AbbyGreenhill
@PatZAnthony You do what you have to do. I already many times fix two different meals since I do't like/can't eat what my husband likes.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@AbbyGreenhill It seems many of us find we have to do double-duty (triple duty?) when it comes to menus.
My daughter made my Gracie's food for her when she was there. It really extended her life, the vet said.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We watched a video on youtube (wish we could find it again and share it here) about a man who helped his pet recover from cancer by changing the diet while she was having treatment @Jeanniemaries It is fascinating to consider that pets, just like humans, can be cured of most ailments with proper nutrition.
@PatZAnthony My dog wasn't cured of cancer but a better diet made her more comfortable and extended her life.
@sol_cee (17389)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
How about selling them too?
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so complicated here if you want to sell such products. Even when we give some to people with sick pets, we are liable if something goes wrong @sol_cee Life should be simpler, but it is not.
@sol_cee (17389)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@PatZAnthony that's critical thinking which I lack. Lol
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
Well that's a nice thing. If home made foods are healthier for humans i guess they are for our pets too. I would not mind make them for my pets. Will have to look for the recipes
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Some recipes shared online would not be used by us b/c of the ingredients @Nawsheen The dogs with allergies usually do well with turkey and green veggies.
@Nawsheen (22958)
• Mauritius
@PatZAnthony yes i will try to be vigilant when choosing for the recipes
I think it is a good idea. Some dogs are so allergic to certain food.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is cheaper and better than buying specialty foods for animals with allergies @Shavkat
@PatZAnthony I agree with you. It can be a budgeted food for dogs.
@Inlemay (16969)
• South Africa
My last Labrador - Shilo has terrible allergies which eventually made her diabetes even worse, I would have loved to have know how to make her special food like you do, that might have made her life easier.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It really can make a difference @Inlemay
@bunnybon7 (37404)
• Holiday, Florida
that would be quite complicated but if i still had coco i would be willing to do that just to have her longer. i should have thought of that. been trying to not feel guilty not knowing exactly what happened with her. vets could not find what the problem was for her siezures and i keep wondering why if i done something wrong.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Physicians often don't know why humans have seizures @bunnybon7 and we can speak about how we feel. Vets must feel like their hands on tied when it comes to such issues. We can't really help a pet too much if we are not so sure what is wrong-
My mom had to make special food for one of our dogs and it was a lot of work.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It can be a lot of work @jstory07 but it can save a pet or at least make life more pleasant for them.
@FayeHazel (19948)
Oh that is awesome. You could maybe even sell this to other's without the skill to make it and yet maybe their pet needs a special food. I can't imagine all the work, as you said - there needs to be enough nutrition , and leaving out allergy ingredients... all that along with the dog has to like it enough to want to eat it...
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Never met a dog that did not like our homemade turkey casserole @FayeHazel We would love to offer this to others, but the regulations as SO complicated. It is easy to see how small businesses that do such things sell to the big guys as soon as they can. Then the big groups destroy the integrity of what was once a good thing.
@hostessman (9976)
• Tucson, Arizona
thanks for this information my wife and i will check in on this
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Hello @hostessman Hope you find something interesting!
@hereandthere (32778)
the only time a recipe is not allowed here is if it's only a list of ingredients and procedures, or if you sandwiched it between, say, 2 sentences. a recipe has to be part of a much bigger post.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Thank you @hereandthere That is good to know!
@prashu228 (25504)
No pets. I heard about making dog food at home on mylot for the first time..so no idea at all
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Not everyone has the concerns that require these measures @prashu228
I have never made my own dog food.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Some pets do fine with what is purchased @andriaperry
Wow. Good for you on making homemade.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Maybe we are just a little off center here @Courtlynn but it is worth it to us.