Summer Reading

@BettyB (4269)
Summerville, South Carolina
When I was teaching I would go through the school library just before school got out for the summer and selected a couple dozen books to read. I liked to read and I wanted to encourage my students to read as well. That was easier to do when I could point them toward specific books. I read a lot of young adult fiction. I still read a lot of young adult fiction, but since retiring my reading list has been a little more eclectic. A lot of books have been published over the years that I’ve wanted to read and couldn’t find the time. I have the time now. Right now I’m reading Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. Once I finish it I’ll be reading Scarred. It’s the first book in Valerie Jean Routhieaux’s @just4him Colonial America series. It sounds really interesting and I’m looking forward to reading it. What are you reading this summer?
It's been a while since I read Left Behind. Very good book and I've read the entire series. Thank you for putting my book on your reading list. Supposedly I'm reading Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness. That's book two in the All Souls Trilogy. However, I've been so busy with getting Freedom's Cry ready to publish I've had almost no time for reading.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've wanted to start reading the series for a while now but never found the time. Finally I decided that I needed to make the time.
@BettyB I couldn't put them down.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@just4him I'm almost finished with the first one. I'm not sure if I'll read the whole series. I don't know yet.
I am reading John Grisham Camino Island
I have that on my summer reading list. I like John Grisham
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I like John Grisham but I haven't had time to read his last few books. I need to add them to my list.
@BettyB have you read any by Nora Roberts.
I plan to get Valerie Jean Routhieaux's book - Scarred.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I read the first few chapters but I want to finish Left Behind before I settle into a new book. What I read so far was interesting.
@silvermist (16385)
I like reading discussions on books,music,flowers ,seashore,food and so on. I was a voracious reader always.Now that I am retired I hoped I could read all those books I wanted to read.But I found out it is not so.But these days I am trying to read as much as I can. Now I am reading The Confessions of a murder suspect '' by James Patterson.Have not read the book by @just4him.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Sometimes I think I had more time to read when I was working than I do now.
I've always been a reader @silvermist.
Well currently, I am reading Rhonda Stapley's book about surviving Ted Bundy. I also have some other books I am reading on kindle which are moderately entertaining. I also just finished Shopaholic to the Rescue. I started reading Left Behind, and funny story, I left it behind. I left it on an airplane on the way to London once, and never got it back!
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I hope whoever found it read and enjoyed it.
You have some great reads on your hands. So cool you will be reading one of Valerie's books. Read A Man Called Ove which was marvelous. Am now reading Loving Frank about Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress. We lived in Oak Park, IL for a while, and it is fun to read a book that has a setting one knows so well. Next, I will read About a Girl, a YA book. I taught struggling readers in middle school and fell in love with so many YA books.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love YA books, but I no longer have easy access to them. That's one thing I miss about teaching. I heard you mention A Man Called Ove more than once. I'm definitely adding it to my list. Also, how do you get the italic in your comment? I can't figure it out.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@Corbin5 Thanks for the time on the italic. It frustrates me when I put the title of a book or a quote in the post and couldn't italicize it. I'm definitely going to get the bookA Man Called Ove soon. My reading list is getting longer and longer.
I am currently reading the mystery Murder on the Quai by Cara Black.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Is it a true murder mystery or a suspense? I like both but like to know which one I'm reading up front.
@BettyB It is a murder mystery. Part of the Aimee Leduc series.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@JohnRoberts Thanks. I'll check it out.
@CRK109 (14293)
Right now I'm reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. And it's wonderful! My niece had read it and highly recommended it to me. Now I can see why!
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Are you going to post a review when you finish reading it? The title sounds interesting.
@CRK109 (14293)
@BettyB I think I will. I'm a little more than halfway through (it's a large book), but I'm having trouble putting it down!
@HazySue (17580)
I also used to read books from the school library so I could discuss them with my students. I worked with Inclusion students who had a lower reading level so I would read books like "The Zack Files" and "Flat Stanley". They loved it that I could discuss the boos with them. Now that I am retired, I read just for me. I just finished "Night Whispers" by Judith McNaught.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I miss reading the YA books. Some of them were really good.
@HazySue (17580)
@BettyB they are good. I used to have a lot of fun with them.
I often pick up thrift store books to read. I am currently not reading a book (gasp!) My time is filled from 8 am to midnight with others and that should end soon. I have a book ready to start but am too lazy to go find the title. It's an oldie my granddaughter picked up for me. She is a great reader!
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
When I was working there were long stretches when I didn't have time to read. It was frustrating. I still don't have a lot of time to read, but I'm a fast reader. I love to lose myself between the pages of a book.
@BettyB My trouble is stopping when I am immersed in a good book, I read until my eyes are too blurry to continue.
I'm reading a couple of books at the same time. I finished two local books and now I'm reading two more. 'The Conjugal Dictatorship of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos' and 'Metallica, This Monster Lives'.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I haven't heard of either of those books, but like you, I often have two or three books going at a time. Which one I read at any given time depends on my mood.
@responsiveme (14236)
I am reading an Eion Colfer and also just finished Tara Road, Maeve Binchy
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
There are so many great books to read. Unfortunately the day is not long enough to read them all. Let us know how you like your latest book.
I've been thinking of reading Valeries books too. They seem to have drawn my attention with her descriptions and I do love pirates
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've only read the first chapter but it's caught my attention.
@1creekgirl (9070)
I really liked the Left Behind series. My favorite author (among many) is Ted Dekker and I loved his book "Three". It's so suspenseful and exciting. He's a Christian, but his books don't always have a strong Christian theme. But I like that you don't have to worry about bad language. I bet Valerie's book is great.
@BettyB (4269)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Dang! Another book to add to my reading list. I guess I shouldn't complain. If I get down to less than five books I panic.
@bluesa (13228)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I hope you enjoy all those books @BettyB . Right now I don't have time to read, but if I did, it would be Clive Cussler.
@RubyHawk (21171)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not sure what I'll read this summer but I have a bunch waiting. Jeannette Walls "Half Broke Horses" and " All the Light You Cannot See" and I don't know what else.