Driving home at Night + Object in the Middle of the Road... What to do?

The object looked to be like some sort of a wooden stool flipped upside down. I so called have 'perfect' vision but at night, I don't think my eyes focus very well. What to do? Decisions decisions.... - Proceed and hit the stool - Steer out of my lane, cross the center divide and avoid hitting the stool - Stop my car and move the object, stool Sorry, but I crossed the center divide when on-going traffic was clear and steered out of the way to continue home. Given that it was 10:30 PM at night, I am not getting out of my car. Neither did any cars behind me. Even during the day, I don't think I would either. It wouldn't be safe. However, if it was something like a cart in the way when I am parked at the grocery store then I would bring the cart back. But not while driving would I get out of the car. Curious what you all would do?
@nomus24g (17391)
Wonder, what's happening at your place...sometime back legos flying n now this
It was infront of apartment complexes maybe someone moved in and dropped some stuff along the way, or moved out!
@nomus24g (17391)
@infatuatedbby hmmm...possible...
@nomus24g I think so!
@minx267 (11160)
• Hartford, Connecticut
That's a tough one.. I don't know I guess it depends on how busy it is and what is in the road.. but I would say more than likely - I would swerve out the lane to avoid it and keep going.
That is what I did. It wasn't a well lit street to begin with but I certainly don't want to be getting out of my car given that I'm alone too.
@minx267 (11160)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@infatuatedbby this is true. there is not a lot that would get me out of my car... You never know in some places people might set someone up by putting something there in hopes someone would get out to move it and then they can jump in and steal your car or purse or something..
@minx267 yes that's exactly what I thought too. I'm not willing to risk that!
@sishy7 (27748)
Oh yes, I'd just try to get around it carefully...
I made it! And made it home safely too :)
very nice
The only thing to do is to try to get around and then call the police and let them know that the road needs to be cleared.
good you looklike a intelligent girl
@sourabhrock2008 This is something I always do, it's to avoid that others can have an accident.
@LadyDuck I don't want to be tracked by the police though, but maybe next time I will look for the local number instead of the emergency hotline. :)
You were wise to do so. You never know, someone could have put it there on purpose.
Yes! Even the news says people put money on peoples windshields and then rob them afterwards when they get out of their cars
@infatuatedbby - I saw that.
@teamfreak16 Yeah ! It happens
I think just avoid the object and hope everyone else will too!
Yes, looked like everyone was doing it too!
I would not get out of the car either. Robbers are known to put an object on the road - then pounce when the unsuspecting driver gets out to remove it.
Yes, and they also put money on wind wipers too. Not safe at all especially in the middle of the night!
Go around it as well.
Yes that was the best solution.
@Nawsheen (22844)
• Mauritius
I would have done the same thing as you. It will be dangerous to go out.
Totally ! Who knows who is around the corner.
@moffittjc (36711)
• Gainesville, Florida
I come across objects like that all the time in the road. Whether or not I decided to stop and remove the object depends on if I am at work or not. During the day, when I am working, I am obligated as a city employee to stop and remove the danger from the road. All city employees are taught to keep our roadways free and clear of danger. But if I was on my personal time, I would probably do what you did...just swerve around it and keep going! haha
Hey honesty is good! You admit it, if you're on the clock that is very nice! Hehe. But I just swerved around and kept going. No way am I going to pull over, get out of my car and go back in my car at that time and alone!!
@moffittjc (36711)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I never have any fear of being alone or being around anyone, even if they are suspicious looking. Everybody tells me that they think I am a police officer (or look like one). I always joke and say that I am not a police officer, but I play one in real life! haha
@moffittjc Hahah now to think of it you could pull off the police officer look! Well I'm a big chicken!
I will try to remove if the road is not busy. Then, I will remove it.
nice. you are little brave girl
@shavkat that is wonderful
@sourabhrock2008 that's not a girl ^
@zarlamain (24171)
If I drove, I wouldn't get out of the car at all because it's dangerous at night. Same thing applies for taxis.
Yeah, I wouldn't get out of my car either. And I wouldn't want my driver to do so either.
@zarlamain (24171)
@infatuatedbby Yes, who knows? It could be a trap. Someone could be waiting for you to move the stool aside so they can jump you, and or steal your car. There's a lot of crazy people out there.
@zarlamain Yes exactly. I'd only go when it's clear to cross the center divide. Also, the same applies to money on your windshield. Don't get out of the car and get it, it's a trap.
@pitstop (5181)
It's a bit tricky. Stopping right in the middle of the road itself is not safe as you can get rear ended. Serving suddenly at a higher speed is also not very safe. If it's a heavy stool hitting it is not safe. I guess you have to use your presence of mid to do the safest thing. Brake as much as possible and then try to steer around it making sure there is no oncoming traffic.
I didn't serve suddenly I just stopped and waited until it was clear. Not many people on the road at that time
@pitstop (5181)
@infatuatedbby that's great. Must have been a nervous moment though!
@pitstop it was alright =)
@Sreekala (18788)
It is nice you haven't stopped or getting out of car at that odd time. If I am in that place I too ignore the same and focus on my way as it is already late night.
Yeah and for safety reasons and being alone - I just want to make it home safely
@Sreekala (18788)
@infatuatedbby That was a good decisions indeed.
@Sreekala Thank you!
@shaynas (5552)
i guess i would do the same as you. No stopping, no hitting.
Me too. I just want to get home safely :)
@shaynas (5552)
@infatuatedbby its better to be safe :)
@shaynas yes indeed
@hillhjill (4100)
I would of stayed in the car as well and just went around it.. or if I had a bars protecting the front of my vehicle I would just move it out of the way.
Yes, I went around it. And you're right if there was a big truck with protection bars in the front could have moved it. But I sure couldn't or it'd dent my car.
@hillhjill (4100)
@infatuatedbby if we were in are van we would be able to move it.. but I'm glad that you didn't get out to move it and made it home safely.
@hillhjill thank you very much
I would have done the same as you most likely.
It was not a well lit street either.
@infatuatedbby Yes, it's not really safe at night to stop and, get out. Anytime isn't really good, but some are safer than others.
@TRBRocks420 Yeah, in the morning or when there is sun would be a safer time but really it's not safe in general.
@jaiho2009 (39034)
I will do the same thing, there is no way I will ever get out of my car. We never knew what awaits the moment we stepped out, might be a bait from bad people out there hiding in the dark.
Yes that is right. I'd never get out plus I had my laptop + purse with me.
That could have been a way to trap people and get them kidnap if you have gotten out. It's a good thing you just ignore it and moved on.
yeah i agree, i just kept moving along
@ilocosboy (34256)
Wgat you did is the best thing to do. Never go out of the car at night especially when you are alone.
Thanks I thought so too