SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

Image by pixabay
Why is it that people immediately assume that the man in the company of a woman is either a boyfriend, husband or lover - when that person could very well be a brother, uncle, cousin etc.? Why is it that someone who is not easy on the eyes, is more likely to be suspected of criminal intent than someone with an angelic face? And finally - Why do people immediately think that the slightly overweight woman who doesn't hide her paunch - is pregnant.? What you see is not always what it is. Do you immediately form an opinion from a first impression ? and has anyone ever formed a wrong first opinion of you?
@dragon54u (31297)
You remind me of a hilarious incident years ago when my son had graduated from high school and was involved with his first real love. He called me one morning from a pharmacy and told me I needed to meet him there right away. I drove to the pharmacy and asked what was wrong and he said that the night before something went wrong with their method and he needed to buy a morning after pill. I had to go and sign for it because they needed someone over 21 to sign for it. The pharmacist sold my son the remedy and told us good luck and he hoped that our family planning went well in the future. He thought I was my son's girlfriend! I looked a lot younger than I do now, of course, that was 11 years ago. So yes, someone assumed that the man I was with was someone I was physically involved with. My son thought it was so funny later but of course then he was not laughing because of the situation.
I have found myself in that situation too - and it was very funny at the time.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Not really no one assumes about me, as I am a chameleon. I do not assume anything about anyone, as when I saw the darker side of life, it made me attune that it may be possible that appearances deceive us.
It is good to be a chameleon sometimes.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Kandae11 Yes it is my nature. I blend in for protection.
@TiarasOceanView I had to do that a long time ago, from a gang because I took a member to court.
• Denmark
How would I know what people thought / think of me?
If it is someone I am in contact with, I will know sooner or later.
• Denmark
@Kandae11 Only if you ask. I don't see myself asking old friends who I've known for decades what they thought of me when we first met. Why should I?
Some come out and ask, others overhear a conversation, others gossip.
Most people are too quick to judge. I love people watching, and form silent opinions. I'm sure I have been judged. That's life!
You are so right. We sometimes judge and we too get judged - that's life.
@CRK109 (14381)
I saw a young friend of mine in a cafe once with a much older man. I assumed it was her father. It was her husband. Thankfully, I never said anything to her about what I'd originally thought. When my late husband and I were first dating, we'd gone into a restaurant. The waitress thought he was my son. We did have an age difference. Her words bothered me until he took my hand, kissed it and said, "She's definitely NOT my mother!" The waitress practically ran away and I never worried about people assuming again. And I've stopped pre-judging any people I see together! lol
The way I see it - the best way to approach doubtful situations is to wait for a hint which may give you an idea of the true situation - that waitress should have done that before jumping to conclusions.
@CRK109 (14381)
@Kandae11 I agree on the waitress, although I learned how much the whole age difference thing didn't bother my husband one bit. And that was wonderful to learn, especially under those circumstances.
@CRK109 I agree. He handled it magnificently.
The world is made up of couples. I always assume it's a husband, boyfriend. I think we are wired that way! As for me...I'm sure people have formed a wrong opinion at times. None that I know about though,
It seems we are wired that way. It may sound silly but even if that person is a stranger I won't want them to form the wrong opinion about me.
@Kandae11 It's probably out of our control, sometimes though it might be a better opinion than is deserved! It's still a wrong opinion but not quite so bad. Look on the bright side!
@Jeanniemaries Exactly - that is another way of viewing it.
@RubyHawk (20911)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't know, never thought about it. But now that you mention it I think that first impression can be accurate. What do you think?
Not quite. Too many wolves in sheep's clothing around.
@RubyHawk (20911)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Kandae11 I might be decieving myself but my first impressions are usually right.I don't know about others opinions of me.
I have learned you should never assume anything.
That is so true.
I am sure they have.But at my age I do not care what opinion they think of me. cannot make everyone happy.My family first.
Well said.
@diosabella (4844)
This happens alot when my nephew is with me. A lot of people think that he is my bf. And we just LOL to all of them.
Human nature - boyfriend, girlfriend - the first thing that comes to mind.
@Kandae11 Its ridiculously funny because I'm 18 yrs older than he is. But any ways at his teens now and yes he towers over me now unlike last year.
@diosabella You obviously look much younger than your age.
@dgobucks226 (4860)
I think curiosity is just part of our makeup. I do form first impressions sometimes, out of that curiosity. I don't mean any offense by it, and yes, I do form opinions about certain things or people. Maybe it's just human nature but people have opinions. You see opinionated discussions, in politics, from cable news contributors, on radio talk shows and so on. We are a curious and opinionated species
You are so right. However, remember that saying - "curiosity killed the cat"? I don't think it actually means murder, but uncomfortable situations could arise from too much curiosity.
@Kandae11 Very good point Enjoy your weekend
@dgobucks226 You have a good one too.
Good questions. I once thought a woman was pregnant who wasn't. She wasn't overweight, but she hadn't done anything since the birth of her child to do anything about that paunch. Her child was two. So not a recent birth either. People have approached me about different thoughts, some were flattering, some not.
Yes indeed, women who are not overweight but carry that extra in the middle would definitely give that impression.We can't really control what people think anyway.
@Kandae11 No we can't.
I learned from a nun who brings Communion to me at home once a month says we are not to judge anybody on anything. Since I always wanted to be a nun, I am going to go with her assertions that it is not our job on earth to do. We are just supposed to get along and love each other. That is our job!
It is best to keep some of our opinions to ourselves - especially when we do not know the true facts.
@Kandae11 Totally agree!
I'm really not sure what people assume about me .
Who knows ? the assumptions could be very good.
@Kandae11 hopefully so
Oh yes, a lot of times when I hear them saying that I am after all kind not snob, when they get to speak with me. Though, I am also guilty of thinking a woman with a big tummy as pregnant. SO much so that one time, when I was still a new one in an affiliate I was assigned to by my boss, I asked the accountant how many months pregnant is she. Only to be answered so nicely that she isn't pregnant, but that her tummy is big.
That is why women with that extra weight there are forced to wear body shapers, corsets, etc to avoid being asked that question. Lucky men, they can let it all hang out.
@Kandae11 True!
I try not to judge, but I think we all do that to an extent. It seems to be part of human nature.
Yes, it is. Not much can be done about it.
@thelme55 (10886)
Some people have no other things to do except assuming what they have seen and thought. I always have my own opinion but I don´t tell anybody because my impression might be wrong.
That is the best way, - when in doubt it is best not to say anything.
@thelme55 (10886)
@Kandae11 yes,indeed. Enjoy your Sunday.
@zarlamain (24057)
That really is something to think about. I have friends who are the opposite gender and whenever we hang out, some people naturally assume we are in a relationship. Sometimes, we point out that we are just friends. Other times, we don't even bother because we are busy.
Sometimes it is best to just leave them with their beliefs, - as long as it isn't anything incriminating.
@zarlamain (24057)
@Kandae11 Definitely. Sometimes, we just don't bother when it's a simple statement or question. You two look like a lovely couple. Are you two in a relationship? We just move on.
My son and I worked at a place, he started before I did, he worked night, I worked days. He would stop by and see every morning before he left. A woman asked, a friend if he was my boyfriend. My friend said, no that's her baby, because he is my youngest son. Lol
That's exactly my point. Why couldn't she think of asking first if he was a family member?.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am as guilty as anyone in making quick judgments based on first impression.
Yes indeed, quick judgments are the norm.