My Piercings and Tattoo

My tattoo
@CoralLevang (29875)
A few weeks ago, there was some discussion about piercings and tattoos, Many of us got an education from @DaddyEvil about piercings. I think that @TheHorse might have even blushed. When it comes to both of these practices, it seems that people either love them or hate them. It is also interesting to hear how these body modifications are seen through the eyes of others in different cultures. Other than pierced ears, I have no other piercings. I had already left home and was on my own before getting them pierced, because my parents forbid it. I also had a second piercing done above the other on my lobes, but they have always seemed to get a bit irritated, not matter how quality the earrings are, so I rarely wear a second pair. When I was growing up, my Uncle Morey (my father's brother) had two tattoos, one on each arm. They were identical Navy-style tattoos with hearts and a banner, with "Mom" in one banner, and "Dad" in the other. I thought that the ink was wonderful and I "wanted to join the Navy so I can have a tattoo." My Uncle just laughed and told me that "girls don't get tattoos." Fast forward about 35 years, and I got my first and only tattoo on my 43rd birthday. I was no longer in the military, but I never lost the desire to get one. It meant something to me to do so. Like my uncle's tat, there is an element of "Mom" and "Dad" in mine. I had the idea of a G-clef (what some would call a "treble clef," though it's only a treble clef when it is placed in a certain place on a musical staff) done in leaves and flowers, as if it were a trellis, and a hummingbird in flight coming in to draw its nectar. The gift of music came from both my father and mother, and is also important to me having been a musician in the Navy. The hummingbird has always been an important figure in my life, as well. It reminds me most of my mother and her side of the family, and growing up feeding the hummers. They have always fascinated me as to how strong a creature they are, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem to the rest of the world. They are quite stealthy, except when you spot them at the feeders. They work tirelessly and they are fast. They are fearless. I have realized many a great lesson from my observance of these amazing little birds. I had never seen a photo of my tattoo, though I have seen the reflection of it in the mirror. It is on my back, left shoulder. A friend of mine at school offered to take the photo; she sent it to me the other day. I am amazed as to how good it still looks 19 years later, and the color is fairly vibrant. Do you have any tattoos and piercings? Note: The photo is not to scale. From top to bottom, it is less than three inches in length.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I have several tattoo's and my ear pierced three times. I used to have my nipple pierced, but it never healed properly, so I eventually took it out.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Ouch! (on the nipple piercing!)
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@CoralLevang - I asked a lot of strippers if it hurt, and they all said no. It hurt like hell.And I have a fairly good pain tolerance.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@teamfreak16 Those strippers....will lie to you every time! *laughs* About things like that!
No, I have never gotten any. I have thought about it. Where I'd put them and what I'd get. But, I never have done it. My daughter has gotten several. She has a black leopard on her shoulder, a humming bird between two fingers and a couple others. Yours is very pretty.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thank you so much, @celticeagle!
@CoralLevang .....Sure.
Lovely tattoo and I really like how you explained the meaning of it. I used to have a piercing in the lower lip. Got it for my birthday and got tired of it after a year or two. I got four small tattoo pieces. One each in my forearms depicting animal symbols. Both tattoos were done using the traditional tattooing practices of a tribe here in the Philippines. I got a tattoo across my collar bone. It is the Latin phrase 'carpe diem carpe noctem carpe vitam' and it translates to 'seize the day, seize the night, seize life'. Will write a post about my tattoos and try to attached some pics.
@CoralLevang (29875)
I love the CDCNCV. I am familiar with that phrase. I would love to see photos. Thank you for your compliment.
@CoralLevang A post is forthcoming. Not sure when though.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@allen0187 Just let me know! :-)
That is a nice tattoo and yes it still looks good after so many years. I have no piercing and no tattoos. I use to have my ears pierced when I was younger but I let them grow in. I have always wanted a tattoo but never got one. Maybe some day.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thanks, Laurel! If they weren't so expensive today, I might get another, but that's not the case. At least, for now.
@CoralLevang They are very expensive. That is what stops me from getting one. The money can go towards so many other things.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@Happy2BeMe Exactly! This one cost me $80 back 19 years ago.
• Carolina, Puerto Rico
My piercings :)
Hi These are my piercings. I also have my ears pierced and a pentacle tattoo on my wrist. I want more lol
@CoralLevang (29875)
OUCH!! *laughs* I have a young friend (she's 30) who has piercings similar to those. She also has multiple tattoos with "alternative" tats on her body, as she is a member of TST. Other tats she has are Harry Potter or Marilyn Manson tattoos.
@SonjaRae (3202)
Is Luna your actual name?? My 2 year old granddaughter is named Luna!
@CoralLevang (29875)
@SonjaRae I asked the same thing, sis, on another post! LOL Her name is Kathleen.
I don't have either, and never will. But i like yours because of the story behind it.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thank you, Courtney!
@CoralLevang you're very welcome
I am not usually for tatoos, mainly because they don´t "age" well most of the times. I like some and don´t like others, apart from that. I think that your tattoo is lovely.
@CoralLevang You are very welcome!
And here I thought for sure you had an anchors aweigh tat.
@CoralLevang (29875)
I had been out of the Navy for nearly eight years and wasn't real happy with anything too military in 1998.
That is a lovely tattoo. I just have one hole in each ear.. Had a girl in my dorm do the piercing since my parents would not allow me to have them pierced No tattoos. No one in our family has a tattoo.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Parents kept us all from getting them in those days! LOL
@Hate2Iron (7122)
That is such a pretty tattoo. I didn't know what it was at first... but it's so delicate and pretty! As for piercings... just two and a group of us used self piercers... I was a big baby and that was the easy way to go!!
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thank you so much!
@ridingbet (31449)
i have no tattoo, but piercing? my earlobes for the earrings.
@CoralLevang (29875)
One piercing in each ear or more?
@ridingbet (31449)
@CoralLevang no, my friend. both ears. no additional piercings like the new generation where even the navel is pierced for a ring, or the tongue for a ring.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@ridingbet Don't forget the nipple piercings! *laughs*
@luispas (1770)
• Venezuela
Nice tattoo, it's very creative, dedicated and beautiful, even tho those years, it still looks awesome. I don't have any tattoos, I would love to be the one who make tattoos a tattoo artist.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thank you, Luis. Definitely not a tattoo of today, but it still has the meaning for me that it did back when I got it.
@luispas (1770)
• Venezuela
@CoralLevang That's true, may I know what's the meaning of your tattoo?
@CoralLevang (29875)
@luispas Um...I wrote about it here.
@pgntwo (19084)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
My eldest daughter has a largish butterfly tattoo on the underside of one of her wrists. She did it when she turned 18 last year, nothing we could do or say would convince her otherwise. I have none, do not see the point. Ditto for piercings. At first I thought your humming bird was a desert fox, or fennec dog, looking right erm...
@CoralLevang (29875)
I just looked at it and I can see what you saw. LOL I thought Wile.E.Coyote from the RoadRunner cartoon. LOL
@pgntwo (19084)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@CoralLevang Interesting how perspective affects things ;)
@CoralLevang (29875)
@pgntwo when I was a kid I always love those things where it would have the woman and one you'd see an old woman and you look at it again and you see the young woman
@Srbageldog (1508)
I have seven tattoos and seven piercings. I have five piercings in my left ear (it used to be seven but the top two holes were always irritated so I let them heal up) and two in the right ear. As for tattoos, I have four on my left arm and three on the right. My tattoos are (in order that I got them): Peter Criss from KISS, The Monkees logo (on left upper arm), The Beatles logo inside a heart (on right uppper arm,) the triple moon pentacle (left wrist), little black cat (right wrist,) blue phoenix with a red lightning bolt on its chest (partly a tribute to David Bowie, right forearm) and the symbol for my favorite band, Ghost, (on my outer left forearm.) I plan to get another tattoo soon, which will be the symbol for Wolverine from X-Men. I also want a tattoo of Charlie Brown, as well as John Lennon's doodle of himself, Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Ghostbusters logo...and someday I will get an anklet of the old drive-in theater concession stand characters. :) I really like your tattoo and the meaning behind it. It's a unique design and very beautiful.
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thank you for your compliment. I think they should all have meanings.
@CoralLevang I agree. Each of my tattoos has significance to me. I don't understand people who just go out and get a tattoo of whatever without thinking about it beforehand. I have to really love something and it has to have some deep meaning to me before I'll consider getting a tattoo of it.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@Srbageldog Do you mind me asking your age?
@Nawsheen (22916)
• Mauritius
That's a great tattoo. I never got one as I am quite scared to undergo the procedure. I once accompanied my friend and the looks on her face made me scared
@CoralLevang (29875)
It wasn't so bad on the back of my shoulder. Some of the other places I have seen people get them, I would not have been able to tolerate it.
@Nawsheen (22916)
• Mauritius
@CoralLevang i guess it depends on the tattoo artist too
@CoralLevang (29875)
@Nawsheen I imagine so.
@LoriAMoore (12067)
Ear Piercing: 2 on one side, 1 on the other Belly Button Piercing: used to have it, let it grow back Tatttoos: One on right foot, celtic cross, just black ink One on left inner ankle, fleur de lis, full color removed one on left outer ankle, was a black panther, all black ink
@CoralLevang (29875)
I've heard that the removals are more painful than the tattoos. Is that true?
• New Delhi, India
No.. I dont like them at all
@CoralLevang (29875)
So, you have no piercings ?
No tattoos...I do not need want dye injected in my skin.. four holes in my ears. And several holes in my head but that's a different topic!
@CoralLevang (29875)
four holes in each ear or two in each totaling four? No face piercings? LOL
@CoralLevang 4 holes in ears total - holes in head too numerous to count.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@AbbyGreenhill I am surprised about the two in each ear!
@silvermist (13941)
I vaguely remember posting an article about tattoos in Persona Paper.I do not have any tattoos.Of course I have pierced ears.(Here it is a must for girls).
@CoralLevang (29875)
I know that many Indian women also have a nose piercing. Do you have one? And at what age will the nose piercing happen?
@silvermist (13941)
@CoralLevang No, no nose piercing was done.Traditionally it is done after 1 or 3 years. Now the doctors say this can be done around six months and in hospitals.The thing is the needle used to pierce should be sterile.Formerly the jewelers did it using gold wires or needles.
@CoralLevang (29875)
@silvermist I did not realize that it was a practice that was done so early in life.
@DaddyEvil (19904)
Your tattoo is still very nice looking, Coral! I would say you had a very good tattoo artist working on you. (The fine quality of the skin may have something to do with the excellent quality of the work done on you, too. grinning at you... )
@CoralLevang (29875)
Thanks...19 years ago. LOL Artist named Katie Williams .... She owns House of Tattoo Here is more recent work. I would love to get another by her. Something Americana Pinup.
@DaddyEvil (19904)
@CoralLevang Hmmm.... I am sorry I can't really comment on things that happened 19 years ago, Coral, other than to say the artist was very good back then and she has improved markedly since then. As far as the quality of the skin she was working on, I am reminded of a tee shirt my mother bought for herself shortly before she passed away. It had a very nice saying printed on it.... "The older the violin, the sweeter the music." I am quite sure there is some kind of analogy I am trying to make here, but I can't decide exactly what that is, at this time...
@CoralLevang (29875)
@DaddyEvil the quote that your mother said seems appropriate given the nature of my tattoo. Something about my G-spot I mean my g-clef!