Colorado's Annual Anti Drunk Driving Campaign

Colorado Springs, Colorado
The Heat is On. That's the name of the State of Colorado's statewide  annual summer crackdown on DUI campaign. In a local TV station interview with KKTV, Col. Scott Hernandez, the State Police chief, said an average of 77 drunk drivers are arrested every day. The crackdowns begin today, with more police officers on the streets, and DUI checkpoints throughout the state. According to local news channel KKTV, more people died from alcohol-related causes from June through August than the rest of the year last year. Hence, The Heat is on campaign. I hate to admit this, but I got a DUI way back in 1987. Thank goodness I didn't kill or maim anyone. I had to pay court costs, do 24 hours community service, and attend four weeks of alcohol classes, as well as being on two years of unsupervised probation. A very expensive lesson learned, and the punishment is even stricter these days. For first-time DUI costs, it is estimated that the total cost of a DUI is over $13,000 by the time the driver is finished. By the third DUI, offenders are looking at prison time. So why do it? Even if I still owned a car, I would still walk to the bar. One DUI was enough. (KKTV article is attached below)
Luckily I neither drink anymore nor drive. Yes I have seen them out today too Scott as I had to go to the courthouse for some papers I needed.
I'm sure there will be a huge presence in Downtown Colorado Springs, where all the nightclubs are.
@teamfreak16 Yes that show ID with the retired detective Joe something or other is always crimes in CO Springs.
@TiarasOceanView - Joe Kenda. He rocks.
An advantage of you living in small town is being able to walk most places. If a person is going to go out and have more than a few, they should hire Uber or something to do the transport.
Oh yes, I can walk everywhere here. With Uber, hopefully, that will cut down.
So good to hear this news. A DUI these days really can ruin the life of the offender since in some states the DUI cannot be expunged. Worse is maiming or killing innocents due to this reckless behavior.
And once you're in the system, it's very difficult to get out.
Glad no one was harmed and lesson learned! I hope DUI decreases with the help of Uber, Lyft and hopefully responsible drinkers.
I was wondering about the Uber and Lyft factor myself.
@teamfreak16 I never used them, but there are risk factors too... for females especially!
@infatuatedbby - I've never used either. We just call a taxi if we need a ride.
@crossbones27 (20779)
• Redlands, California
Good advice. I lock my keys up when I am drinking. That they are the one to get arrested.
I just walk to the bar. And stumble home.
• Redlands, California
@teamfreak16 The best way.
@FourWalls (14675)
We have a company in Louisville that will drive the drunk home in their own car, then ride off on a small scooter. I think it was Uber who offered two free rides home for people who'd been drinking. There may have been an "excuse" at one point, but not now.
There are people that are still going to do it anyway, unfortunately.
I am glad that they are making it ever harder on dui drivers I have had several friends s killed by drunk drivers on our Calilf freeways.
They do this every year. They catch a lot on July 4th.
Hope everyone will be responsible and, not drink and, drive.
Maybe with UBER, less people will drive under the influence. Probably just wishful thinking.