Darn It Dad!!!!!!!!!!

My Dad's name on a variety of important documents, I.D. cards, and more displays his name in a variety of ways. Dad has used the following to precede his surname on a massive amount of important stuff!!! Norman Allen Norman Allan N.A. N. Allen N. Allan Norman A. That agency that deals with our federal taxes wants my 96-year-old Dad's birth certificate to determine my father's legal name. Why that agency reached total confusion at this time in my dad's life is beyond me. The agency had many, many, many years to ask what my Dad's legal named happened to be, for Pete's sake. I took care of it, and mind you, it took me several hours to do it. Dad!!!!!!!!!! Note: 72 years ago, my father decided he preferred "Allan" over the spelling of his given middle name, "Allen," and he just made that change all by his dear own self! Dad!!!!!!!!!!! Photo: Dad, 2nd guy from left aboard the U.S.S. Wake Island.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I have some familiarity of this particular name thing Deborah.. Variations exist in my immediate vicinity. Yes, why on earth do they start all of a sudden needing verification one day..uh huh know what you mean. Good you handled it.
The day before it took me 3 hours to handle a dilemma with his medical insurance. Yesterday, two hours to find the 96-year-old birth certificate. For 17 years, my dad has been one big dilemma after another. Good thing I love the guy.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 AW I know you do..and he is blessed to have you Deborah You are great to be able to sort out everything for him, bless him.
• Denmark
This reminds me of Gloria Gaynor's song, "I am what I am. I am my own creation..."
And, being the narcissist Dad truly is, that quote fits Dad perfectly! He causes more trouble for me than any human I have ever encountered.
• Denmark
@Corbin5 Maybe your father will enjoy the song and the video:
Re-mastered "Original" recording of the extended version of "I Am What I Am" posted by its Producer Joel Diamond and Silver Blue Records. There have been man...
@MALUSE Thank you for this one. We do bring our laptops to play music for Dad, and tomorrow, I will play this one for Dad when I visit. Thank you again!!!
• Preston, England
probably had no idea of the confusion his spelling preferences would cause for later on
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 shame he doesn't know how much that takes out of you
@arthurchappell Neither parent did. Narcissists both.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 it is quite tough for you clearly
Oh it's charming that he decided to make that change himself! Sorry you had the headache of getting it straightened out but atleast it's done. My father wrote my name wrong on my birth certificate. My middle name is supposed to be Lynne like my mom's but he didn't put the E at the end. My mom's middle name is the same as mine (minus the spelling) and we are both named after my grandfather's sister.
Well, your dad made a boo-boo too. That makes me feel better. Being POA for both parents for 17 years, my sister and brother do not have to do a thing, has been a nightmare. Those two siblings owe me big time!
@ScribbledAdNauseum I am so glad you ranted. Your rant helps me. Sometimes we think we are the only ones who experience this stress, strain, and disappointment, and it helps to know we are not the only one!!!!
@Corbin5 I agree. It's comforting to know that we aren't alone in some of the hardest situations we have to face.
• Riga, Latvia
Well that was not wise on dad's part but at least you still have dad around and many blessings to him on Father's day.
It is good I love the guy. He has been dilemma after dilemma ever since I became POA. That's 17 years. He is wearing me down, big time.
• Riga, Latvia
@Corbin5 big sigh. Hang in there.
@Gabugs (1601)
This is fantastic. Your dad seems to be not only obsessed with his name; but also fastidious @Corbin5
Well, he sure likes variety, which has caused me a lot of trouble.
@Gabugs (1601)
@Corbin5 SORRY to hear this. But perhaps he is not aware of the trouble he causes.
@Gabugs He did not do things to cause trouble and no way would I ever tell him that. Love my dad.
Oh lordy, what a mess. Will it be hard to fix this?
Well, with the IRS, one never knows. I always expect to be disappointed so I won't be disappointed when dealing with any government agency.
Have you ever looked up your papa's name onlne @Corbin5 ?
@rebelann Well, we have always used Allan as his middle name. Perhaps with his real middle name, Allen, results would appear. At this point, I am good just knowing his real middle name is Allen No desire to learn anything more since I have a mass of documents that give me far too much information already.
I can so relate to this. My husband and his family have some errors in name spellings and birth dates, ugh
Sure does make for a lot of phone calls, faxes and collecting of documents. Makes a person weary.
@Corbin5 we finally got my brother in laws information straightened out and my husbands.
@moffittjc (27694)
• Gainesville, Florida
I am dealing with the same issue with my mom. Seems that over her 74 years of life on this planet, she has gone by no less than 8 different names. Now we're dealing with a big mess trying to get her set up in a nursing home with Medicaid. Seems that the Medicaid office wants to know for sure what her real legal name is. And we're having trouble tracking down her birth certificate.
Oh boy! So sorry you are having troubles too. We never expect these problems, and they just seem to pop up. Dad will outlive all the money he has saved very soon, and we too will have to apply for Medicaid. Not looking forward to that, but thank goodness I have his 96-year-old birth certificate. Wishing you the best of luck with your Mom!!!
@moffittjc (27694)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 At least you have his birth certificate! We're trying to track down my mom's. Not quite as easy as it seems! But we're making progress.
@mandala100 (2470)
It's good that you put the record straight.
I hope this ends the problem, but when dealing with a U.S. government agency, one try to set the record straight usually is not the case.
@Corbin5 I'm hoping for the best.
@diosabella (4800)
Probably because life is much simplier back then it never occur to your dad that it will be a huge problem in the future now that ever letter counts. But then they are dads. And wow, I think your dad is amazing!
I think you are right! I doubt if many folks thought, back in the day, that the change of one letter in a name would cause a problem.
@Corbin5 And to think that computer age should make our life easier but half the time it doesn't. It makes things more complicated than before.
@diosabella So true, my friend!!!
Happy Father's Day to your dad.
Yes, off to see him now. Will tell him you wished him a Happy Father's Day!!!
@Corbin5 Thank you. I hope he is doing fine.
Some men just need to be difficult. Some are born that way. My father would have been 86 this past weekend and he decided to make a change to his name as well. He added Jr. to the end of his name, when in reality he wasn't as my grandfather didn't have a middle name and my father did. He was born difficult.
My dad was born difficult too. Guess both our dads just went ahead and did whatever they wanted, more often than not.
@Corbin5 I think it's a guy thing.
@alberello75 (7607)
• Genova, Italy
I see, there is a lot of bureaucracy also from your parts (like everywhere)! I should have called me "Massimiliano" (my father wanted so). But my mom, as a child, saw a movie "Alessandro Magno, the Macedonian" and she said, "When I have a son, I'll call him Alessandro". And here I am! However "Massimiliano" is my second name. My fullname in fact is "Alessandro Massimiliano Danovaro".
You have a wonderful name, my friend!!! It sounds so regal!!!
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Thank you
@RubyHawk (12963)
• Atlanta, Georgia
What a mess, but he's lucky to have you to bail him out.
It seems all I have done for 17 years is bail out my parents. Being POA is not a job anyone should take if they can get out of it.
@RubyHawk (12963)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 I know it's difficult when problems are forever popping up.
My dad got very creative with my youngest brother's name. It was ABC on his birth certificate. My mother made him change it immediately!
I do like that ABC idea. Makes one's name a bit easier to remember when little. Before my sister was born, our family of four was ABCD. And, along came Wendy as number 5. W?????
I am glad that there were no variations in my Daddy's name. Now I have to check carefully if my Mom does not use an abbreviated name.
I never knew this would be a problem, but my dad is full of surprises. He makes me very tired.
@Corbin5 I can understand that this was not the best surprise.
@sallypup (16297)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Handsome photo. I'm delighted my sister is dealing with this stuff with my Mom. I'm sorry for your pain.
I was POA for Mom and for Dad. 17 years of it. My brother and sister got off easy, and I told both to never ask me to do anything other than a duty or an obligation because they will both get a bit fat "No!" I am fried. Visit with either one of them, never!
@sallypup (16297)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I did a stint of Mom sitting. Could have cost us a marriage. I hate how dementia stresses family relationships.
@bluesa (5873)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh my soul, @Corbin5 , what a battle to sort that out. I am happy you could sort it out! Love the photo, your Dad looks like a true Hollywood star.
Yes, only 3 hours to gather documents I needed. Yesterday, only 2 hours to deal with an insurance issue. My dad studied voice in NY and he played the part of Escamillo , the toreador, in the opera Carmen and also did solo performances. He sure thought he was a star, that's for sure.
@bluesa (5873)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 looking for documents and then having to battle with insurance issues is darn stressful. He then not only looks like a star in that photo but was one too :)
@luispas (1707)
• Venezuela
what a fun story. I love your dad's name by the way. But what a mess with that agency and what your dad did
I do believe he should have notified the IRS about his changing the spelling of his middle name, but he certainly did not do that.
@luispas (1707)
• Venezuela
@Corbin5 That's correct, he didn't care at all, and now he's poor son has to pay the price