The New (or Maybe Old) Nooks and Crannies

Midland, Michigan
I just recently heard that a certain brand of bagels are called or known as 'nooks and crannies'. A customer in my lane the other day asked me to give her the bagels and nooks and crannies, but my response was, "What"? She repeated herself and after looking at her groceries I did the same, repeated myself. Eventually, I discovered what she meant. After ringing up the English muffins I noticed that on the side of the package it said nooks and crannies, which I'd never noticed before even though I sell quite a few of them. I've since asked several customers if they knew what nooks and crannies are and many have known what I was asking. It sounds like several years ago the specific brand did a major marketing campaign when they were first developed. It must have been one of the years when I didn't watch much TV as I never saw any commercials on them. I've purchased them before, but I usually buy whatever brand is on sale. I'll have to try them again and see if I think they taste better with the airier texture. (I had a few problems posting this from my smartphone and that's why my first two responders discussed that instead of the topic).
https://thomasbreads.com/products/original-english-muffins
I have seen that Thomas Breads has registered Nook & Crannies as a trademark, for bagels and English muffins. I do not know at all the reason.
• Midland, Michigan
It appears that their breads are not as dense as the other brands allowing for less calories. I can't imagine that it would taste any better or much different, but once I do a taste test I'll know for myself. That will be later though, as I'm dieting right now and staying away from too much bread. I think the bagels having it are fairly new.
@MarshaMusselman I eat very little bread, I like it, but it is full of calories and it makes me feel bloated.
• Midland, Michigan
@LadyDuck I can be easily addicted to bread, so it's better to stay away. I don't feel bloated, but when I eat too much it makes me tired.
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
Never heard of a muffin brand called that, although nooks and crannies is a common expression - typically when one is describing where the sand gets after a day spent on a sandy beach...
• Midland, Michigan
Do you have the Thomas brand of muffins or bagels there at all? Anna is familiar with the brand, unless it's only after reading my link, but she'd no idea why they use that term for them. I know nooks and crannies is a common expression and was looking for something altogether different on the belt with the groceries, lol.
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
@MarshaMusselman Never encountered Thomas Brand here before. Oh, and yes, that particular expression would not have had me scanning the belt for English muffins.
• Midland, Michigan
@pgntwo Exactly.
I hate that too when on my tablet I can't do links..I do not have a smartphone.
• Midland, Michigan
I wasn't going to get one for another year or so until I got bills paid, but my dumb phone's. back-light keeps dying making the phone useless so I got one, a smartphone, for less than $25,00 and it will be a prepaid plan with barely any data unless we opt to pay more any month when we need it. I edited my post so it reads better and fixed this comment too. Therefore, you may have two notif's on this one comment..
@MarshaMusselman Oh I see Marsha..good glad you got another phone then.
Oh, dear sounds like you are having some issues.
• Midland, Michigan
Yes, a bit, but since it's still new I'm sure I'll figure it out or realize it's better to post on my tablet or computer and not on the smartphone afterall. I was able to edit my discussion after getting home for the day so it reads better.
@MarshaMusselman ......SOme don't seem to work that well for posting. I don't think I could. My eyes aren't good and I have to have large print and room to see what I am doing. Then if there is a glitch added to the mix I am really not happy.
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I've never heard of it before. I have some Thomas muffins in the fridge right now. I'm going to have to go and see what is says on the package.
• Midland, Michigan
So, what did u find, Sharon, on the package in your house?
@BettyB (4205)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I didn't realize that the Thomas Brand called theirs nooks and crannies. In my opinion all English muffins have nooks and crannies. My husband eats English muffins, but I prefer my Honey Wheat toast for breakfast.
• Midland, Michigan
And that is probably true about all English muffins being made the same way. But, maybe the Thomas brand was the first to come up with making it that way, hence the marketing ploy? It appears that they got their start in the 1880's and a couple of Thomas employees that then went to get work with other bakeries divulged the trade secret to making them. Whether or not the rest of the companies followed the same recipe or whether they experimented enough to find one of their own is undetermined, but it would be understandable that they'd all want the same presentation.
That is funny, I would have asked the same thing.
• Midland, Michigan
Good to hear that I'm not the only one that never heard it in reference to food before. Are the Thomas brand of muffins sold in your area at all, Andria? They are here and I'm still surprised that it's written so plainly on the package and that never caught my eye before. Course, when I ring them up they usually go right into the bag, so maybe that's one reason I was oblivious to it.