How old should a child be To have a cellular phone?

Pisa, Italy
Yesterday when I was watching my niece to play with her mobile phone I asked myself "is it too early for her to focus with this gadget?" She's only 7 years old. She plays hours per day focusing only on cellphone. What donyou think is the best age before giving a child a mobile phone?
For hours a day, thats way too early. No child should really even have a phobe other than for emergencys
• Pisa, Italy
I think so too..
@ridingbet (57899)
7 years of age is too young to be exposed to these kinds of technology. i would prefer that she plays with her relatives or friends or give her a sheet of paper and crayons- a toddler should be playing group plays already and no longer solitary games.
• Pisa, Italy
Yes you're right..
My daughter is almost two.and she already enjoys watching youtube videos. I knownit is not good so what I do.is give her 30 minutes or 1 hour screen time.
• Pisa, Italy
Atleast you are monitoring your child's using mobile phone
She is too young to play for hours. There is the problem of the radiations coming from the phone, but also the eyes suffer staring at a small screen for hours.
• Pisa, Italy
Yes, I already told her mom about the bad effects of mobile phone to her. Yes, she could suffer from poor vision and radiation.
@Essjayd (1619)
None of my partners kids or my nephews had phones until they were 11 or 12 and going to secondary school! One of my nieces has a phone at 8 years old but it's a basic phone she can use in an emergency. I reckon it depends on the kid and what they do and where they go. I hate seeing kids engrossed in phones or Ipads for hours on end!
• Pisa, Italy
I think you are right
@LeaPea2417 (21594)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I think probably age 12 is a right age for a kid to get a cell phone.
Well I don't think the age is the issue, I think it's the time that children are allowed to spend on it. My oldest daughter is almost 12 and she has a phone, but she's only allowed on it for an hour per day-after her chores and school work are finished and after she plays outside for a good amount of time. Most things are okay, in moderation.
@thelme55 (14944)
She is too young to own a smartphone. She will have eye problem before she will be an adult. The radiation will cause those problems.