What Birds Do You See?

@BettyB (4292)
Summerville, South Carolina
After my walk this morning I sat down on the patio with a glass of water to cool off. It was peaceful. The birds were singing and squirrels were darting back and forth. As far as I could tell the whole neighborhood was still asleep. As I watched the birds flutter around the birdfeeder I started thinking about the different birds I’ve seen in my backyard. The cardinals, bluebirds, and robins are there all the time, but there’s a blue jay that shows up every now and then. There are finches and wrens flying around as well. Every now and then I’ll spot a red bellied woodpecker. The prettiest bird to ever visit my birdfeeder is the painted bunting. It is a gorgeous bird. They live in the trees behind my friend’s house so she sees them more often than I do. I love watching the birds, and photographing them. Unfortunately they move fast. Getting a good picture of a bird is like trying to get a two year old to sit still for a photo op. It’s next to impossible. What is the prettiest bird you’ve ever seen in the wild? The birds in the picture are as follows: Upper Left Corner: Eastern Bluebird Upper Right Corner: American Goldfinch Lower Left Corner: Painted Bunting Lower Right Corner: Blue Jay
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
The last time I went to the park I saw that bird and took a picture. I think its lovely.
• Midland, Michigan
That looks like a parrot to me.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
He's pretty whatever he's called.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
@MarshaMusselman Yes they are parrots @BettyB
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am not sure of any of those birds, except for maybe the blue jay. I saw a bird as a matter of fact a couple weeks back and could not identify it..it was beautiful and I had never seen one before..so colorful. Those are lovely photos anyway Betty.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Thanks. I need to take my good camera out and start using it again. The photos are a hundred times better than what I can get on my phone.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@BettyB Phones take such nice photos nowadays though.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@TiarasOceanView I use my phone for most stuff now days, but it doesn't work well for photographing the birds.
@thelme55 (10828)
I love watching and taking photos of the birds that visit my garden. It is indeed difficult taking photos of them as they are fast and hoping from one plant to the others.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I have better luck when I use my good camera, but lately I take most of my pictures on my phone. It's hard if not impossible to zoom in.
@thelme55 (10828)
@BettyB yes, it is hard using the smartphone as we can't zoom the object we want to photograph.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@thelme55 I can zoom some with my phone but I can't hold it still enough. The pictures rarely turn out good.
All those birds are beautiful. There are several birds that I like, among them the yellowag tail that lives near the running water. I like the colors of the European goldfinch, there are some that come every year during their migration.
@Essjayd (1168)
Nice pictures and very pretty birds! The seagulls have taken over here so apart from the occasional magpie, sparrow or crow we just see seagulls!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We're far enough inland that we don't get many seagulls. Sparrows and crows come around pretty regular.
@Essjayd (1168)
@BettyB We're around 5 miles from the sea but I swear there's more seagulls here than when we go to the local beach!!
• Midland, Michigan
I'm not sure that seeing birds on one's bird feeders in their yards would be considered 'the wild', lol. I enjoy looking at birds, but I have yet to feed them myself. They still will alight on my red-bud tree or in the back yard. I saw a unique one recently that was red but in a different way than cardinals, and I don't know what it was. Is the one on the lower left the painted bunting you referred to? It might be nice to share here in the post what each of the birds in your picture are for those that aren't birdwatchers yet.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
What I meant by 'the wild' was not in a zoo or sanctuary. I consider the birds in my back yard to be wild as they are not confined to a specific location.
• Midland, Michigan
@BettyB I wasn't thinking of zoos or sanctuary's either. When I think of birds or animals in the wild, I think of safari's where they don't interact with humans or eat food provided by them. But that's okay, I'm sure many things aren't defined the same way for all of us.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@MarshaMusselman There are so few places left in the world where there is no human influence. I would love to see some of those outlying areas.
I love blue jays!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I do too. They are so pretty, but they are birdfeeder bullies.
@BettyB i woupdnt know we dont have a birdfeeder
In the wild? Probably colorful parrots. I like watching hummingbirds.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We have a hummingbird feeder and get visitors, but not often. They are fun to watch.
@MGjhaud (20822)
i don't think i have taken one in my entire life. but i grew up in a farm and i've seen different kinds and colors for sure. i just don't know their names. you did great in capturing those birds. lovely colors!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Thanks. I enjoy watching the birds.
The painted bunting is beautiful. I wouldn't know the names of birds unless they are common like the robin, cardinal, and blue jay. Other than those three, I don't know birds.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I don't know as many as I would like, but I can't see the detail without my glasses and I rarely wear my glasses at home.
@BettyB I have three pairs of glasses, though one pair, my reading, doesn't get used as much as the other two - my computer - 90% of the time, and my bifocals - the other 10%.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@just4him I have bifocals but I only wear them when I'm driving. I use my reading glasses if I'm reading a paperback but I do most of my reading online or on my kindle. I don't need my glasses for that.
We have most of those birds here except for that beautiful Painted Bunting. My favorites are the ibis, red cardinal, crane, and osprey. We even have wild parrots and parakeets here.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We are too far from the water to see the osprey but they are truly impressive.
@BettyB We have them along the coastline in CT, but I still love my Orville, the osprey, in Florida the most!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@DianneN I'm not even sure if we have any off the coast here in South Carolina. There aren't any in the harbor anyway.
The Cardinal.. Love them.we have many bluebirds.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Bluebirds are my favorite. We have a bluebird box in the back yard. Mama usually has three broods every summer.
@BettyB We put up a bluebird house and they made a nest under our front porch at the top of the column...this year they used the birdhouse.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@AbbyGreenhill They are fun to watch.
@KristenH (18930)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Those are pretty birds. I've seen robins, gulls and pigeons over here. A blue jay once.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The blue jay is here only once in a while which is good. He tends to be a bully at the feeder.
@KristenH (18930)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@BettyB I've only seen him once by the 2nd floor of my patio. He wasn't near any feeders, since we're not allowed to have them here for various reasons.
@1hopefulman (18516)
Those are very pretty birds. Here, we see mostly sparrows and pigeons. If I see a colorful bird once in a blue moon, I have no idea what it is.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Every area has different birds. We're lucky to see several pretty birds, but the some tropical areas see some spectacular birds.
The painted bunting is a pretty bird. I think that my favorite that is in our yard is the pair of cardinals, not only are they pretty but they have the sweetest song. And I like to hear that.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love to listen to the birds chirp and sing.
An impressive array of birds - are they all your own photos? The most colourful birds in my garden are robins, we don't have anything exotic like you.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
They are all my photos but they were taken over a span of time. We only see the goldfinch early in the spring. I haven't seen a painted bunting yet this year.
@regboi31 (24)
• Fairfield, California
One time while hiking I seen birds that resembled the extinct Passenger Pigeon.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It would be great if it was. Unfortunately they were hunted into extinction.
@sallypup (19237)
• Moses Lake, Washington
The county has placed a rather deep water channel right below our property. I'm seeing and for sure hearing fighting Stilts and the raspy and loud yellow headed black birds. Tons of usual sparrows. I live in meadowlark country so I hear their canary like melody coming from the sagebrush. Killdeer and strange sounding mourning doves. Some raptors like I think its a hawk but big enough to be an eagle. (No white head seen so golden eagle??)
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love the killdeer. One would nest in my mother's garden every year and pitch a fit whenever we had to work in the garden.
@mandala100 (24087)
Those birds are really so beautiful and very colorful.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Thank you. I do enjoy watching the birds.
Those are all pretty ones. I like the brightly colored birds.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
So do I. I get so excited when the painted bunting visits. Unfortunately they don't visit often.