2 am anxiety attack

I left my windows opened when I went to bed because the rain had let up and it was quite warm. It was after 1 am when I got into bed. I had problems falling asleep so I read for a bit. I shut off the light and was just falling asleep when I heard all this screaming and yelling. The neighbours were fighting. At night the noise carries so I could hear everything. She was crying and he was yelling at her and calling her some terrible names. It got louder and louder and he was so enraged it was scary. I could feel an anxiety attack coming on. I lived that life and it brought back a whole lot of memories. They are a young couple and the young woman is pregnant. They just recently got a dog and the dog was barking and growling the whole time the man was yelling obscenities at this woman. After about a half hour things calmed down but I couldn't. It took me about two hours to calm down and finally be able to sleep. I still feel a bit off this morning. I feel so sorry for that woman to be living like that. It wont get better it will only get worse and soon there will a baby. Today I will see them and they will be carrying on like nothing happened. All happy and in love. I have heard them before but last night was the worse. I lost a friend through domestic violence. She was killed by her husband. I was thinking about her last night when I was falling sleep. That could be why the argument last night sent me into an anxiety attack.
@katsmeow1213 (28707)
My husband and I used to fight like that back 10 years ago.. our fights always got heated and usually over stupid things. He has never laid a hand on me, but he was an insensitive jerk quite a few times. We grew up and got over it, we don't fight like that anymore. So it can get better... you never know.
I am glad that your husband changed. That doesn't happen often.
@Happy2BeMe It wasn't just him, it was both of us. To be honest I was probably worse as far as the things I said.. He just wanted to avoid me which made me madder. He hasn't changed much, he still tries to avoid me when I'm mad, but I've learned how to calmly tell him that he needs to talk to me to make things better.
@katsmeow1213 that is good. Sometimes you just have to work through things and be persistent. Everybody has arguments.
@dodo19 (27119)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
That is definitely not a pleasant situation. I can definitely understand why it brought back bad memories for you and raised some anxiety. It's sad that these things do still happen.
Yes it is. Nobody should have to live that way. Yes people argue but the things he was saying to her and the names he was calling her was disgusting and abusive.
@dodo19 (27119)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Happy2BeMe Arguing and disagreeing is one thing. But some people go way too far and that's not right. Abuse is SO wrong.
@dodo19 yes it is and it will keep getting worse
This is horrible, do you think it would be the case to alert someone?
I don't think so but I will definitely be watching that things don't progress
@Happy2BeMe Keep an eye on that poor pregnant woman.
@LadyDuck she left Sunday morning and my fiance said she has not been back since
• Marion, Kansas
I lost a neighbor that way. An older lady, fifty something, and her husband. They both drank, she was depressed, he was violent and crazy. We offered to help her, she felt trapped and said no. Then she was killed. I had let them baby sit for me from time to time. I kept wondering if I should have done more, but she would not leave him, she could not, I wondered if things would have been different if I had butted in and called the police. Is calling the police an option you would take? Oh, and I am sorry your sleep was so destroyed and that you had to live like that. My sister did, and I made sure I never had a relationship with a man like that, because I grew up seeing it.
Sorry about your neighbor. That is terrible but sadly it happens quite often. Nothing you done would have changed things. She was probably scared to be with him but scared to leave him too. I thought about calling the police that night but things calmed down and I heard another neighbor taking to the guy outside. I think he was trying to calm him down.
The drunks across the st. of the old home place would wake me fighting, same thing next day they were in love. I agree being beat up by a man is not fun and its terrifying. I am glad I moved and I do not have to listen tot that anymore.
It is a terrible way to live.
Imagine him carrying on like that and she is pregnant.
It is just terrible.
How horrendous, especially with her being pregnant now. I can see why you had an anxiety attack! If it escalates, I'd report him before it gets worse for her.
I thought of that last night but then things got quiet. I will if things continue. I do feel bad for her. He is such an idiot.
@Happy2BeMe No man should ever treat a woman that way. It's disgusting and just plain wrong.
@DianneN I agree and it seems to go on a lot these days.
I hate when people are violent to their partners, its unnecessary when all you have to do is walk out to cool off. Too bad the police can't do anything if the spouse won't press charges.
Here the police can press charges if they witness the abuse or have proof even if the spouse doesn't want to press charges.
That's fantastic @Happy2BeMe I wish it were like that here. I'm so sick of domestic violence
@rebelann me too and it seems worse now then ever
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes luckily that has only happened in this apartment complex once since I have lived here. The neighbor next door..she was getting beaten up by a boyfriend and cops were called. It upset me so much I was in it for days. I too suffered at the hands of that. It never leaves you. I am sorry you had that attack and I hope that woman will one day get away your neighbor..yes it does not get better only worse.
I hope she realizes soon that she deserves a better life and so does her unborn child.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Happy2BeMe Yes that is the main issue the child is in danger too..
@TiarasOceanView yes that bothers me.
what a horrible night for everyone.
Yes it was.
@Tina30219 (24538)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry you had to hear that and put you into a anxiety attack. I hope this woman gets smart and leaves him before he hurts her and their unborn baby. Not to be mean but I don't wish anyone to get hurt but I wish the dog would have bit him but then it could have made it worse and he could harm the dog.
Yes me too but like you said he may have harmed the dog. He is just not a good person.
@Tina30219 (24538)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Happy2BeMe No he is not at all. I wish her the best in whatever she does
@Tina30219 yes me too
@moffittjc (32670)
• Gainesville, Florida
What a great future role model that loser guy is for his baby {thick sarcasm}. I hope she either wises up, or else he gets help on how to handle his anger issues.
She left on Sunday morning and has not been back since so I hope she got away from him.
@moffittjc (32670)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Happy2BeMe Let's hope she uses good common sense and realizes it was not a good situation for her. How are you feeling?
@moffittjc oh not too bad. The waiting is the hardest. Had a bad day emotionally today.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It is unfortunate that there are circumstances like that. No, it won't get better. My mother was in that boat. It took ten years for her to pluck up the courage to leave. She headed cross country in the middle of the night with seven little kids in tow.
It must have been tough for you mom but good for her to have been that brave.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@Happy2BeMe She was fortunate. My grandparents took us in. We grew up in rural Minnesota. We grew up poor but we didn't have to worry about getting a fist in the face.
@BettyB yes better to be poor then living in fear
@mandala100 (24087)
Domestic violence is not a acceptable behavior in any society. In some country domestic violence is already considered a crime.
Yes and so it should be. This should not be allowed to happen.
@mandala100 (24087)
@Happy2BeMe You are right on this.
My neighbors were like that alot when they would drink (so almost every weekend, and few weekdays). Its definitely scary. Especially when someones drunk. I hope she can leave him before the baby is born. And I'm so sorry you had an anxiety attack and bad flashbacks.
I still feel bothered by it today. She left this morning with her dog and has not been back since.
@Happy2BeMe right. I would too.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I can certainly understand why you had an anxiety attack. I think I would have too under the same circumstances.
I still feel bothered by it today.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Happy2BeMe I can see why it still bothers you, it would be as well.
@JustBhem (17331)
• Davao, Philippines
In my case, my brother and his wife are the only things I heard arguing. If not yelling, they fight like they don't know each other. And we get used to it already.
It is a difficult way to live.
It must have been an awful night for that woman and for you too. Enough to be anxious about it. Is it the first time?
I have heard them arguing before but last night was the worst I ever heard.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that this couple get to sort out things between them. Violence only makes things worse. They must think about the baby.
Yes I agree.
It has to be extra hard for you to listen to that and know the road ahead for that young woman. Domestic violence and abuse is horrible and I'm sorry you not only had to live that life but it still gives you anxiety (or PTSD). You're one of the lucky ones to have gotten out. I sincerely hope nothing happens to that young woman or the baby.
I hope so too. I worry about her and her unborn baby. He is an idiot.