No need to start a discussion here

Cyprus
Oops, just started one! And no, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about me. You keep doing what you're doing. As a person who is not very social and not very good at starting conversations, it is a huge relief for me, that at least in Mylot, I can just scroll through the discussions, and just reply to the ones I feel like it. I get to choose the subjects, as well choosing whether to give an advice, express my opinion, or start an argument! Of course, that takes quite a scrolling adventure sometimes... How about you? What do your Mylot numbers say about you? Are you a frequent discussion starter or do you just mostly contribute by responding to others' discussions?
I think I started one discussion in May. Well I was busy so I wasn't joining in many discussions either. But mostly I join discussions. This week I thought of two that I want to start. I like that I don't need to start discussions too.
• Cyprus
Yes, when we are very busy, we can just respond quickly to a couple of discussions.
@Lupita234 (11880)
oh thats nice you start discussiones again
@Lupita234 (11880)
@thehousewife hey how are you in cyprus???
@else34 (12731)
• New Delhi, India
@thehousewife I don't start a discussion unless and until I have a good idea to share.It takes me days to hit such an idea.Sometimes I have an idea,but I am confused as to how to present it.
• Cyprus
I see. Do you also get the same problem I do? That when you finally get the idea, you can't create the discussion at that moment because you are busy with other things, and when you finally get the time, you completely forget what you wanted to talk about? Because that happens a lot with me.
@thehousewife Certainly that happens. Sometimes I take a picture to go with my idea, so the picture reminds me.
• Cyprus
@paigea That's a neat trick! I'm not into pictures myself, but perhaps I should start putting them down in notes.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I go in phases..sometimes I will be eager to start discussions maybe for a few days, then I will switch and go back to just responding. Always something to do here and that is a blessing.
• Cyprus
A blessing! Indeed it is. When I'm down, it really helps seeing other people's discussions. The sad ones make me realize there's worse problems in the world (although I do sympathize), and the happy ones make me forget my problems. So you are keeping it balanced. You are doing great!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@thehousewife Thanks Housewife. I have been so glad of myLot through out the years.
@Lupita234 (11880)
i start discussions like 4 per week
@responsiveme (11692)
The latter ....Lately I have been just responding...Like my name
• Cyprus
Oh, good one! I love when the profile name shows exactly what you are all about.
ARM, I liked the comment your wrote like your name.
@Hannihar thank you
@MGjhaud (20020)
I belong to the latter.
• Cyprus
So you contribute to others' discussions. That is great.
@Lupita234 (11880)
oh thats very nice
I am just the opposite. My discussions are languishing for want of responses
• Cyprus
So you prefer making your own discussions more than responding?
@thehousewife Just out of curiosity I checked my response tab in my profile and I see I have responded well over 16000 times.
• Cyprus
@allknowing wow, that's awesome! You are doing great!
@Nawsheen (18883)
• Mauritius
Since last month I am trying to post a discussion after every 1-2 days. Sometimes I do not have enough time to go through the recent discussions list. So by starting a discussion I get to interact with other members.
• Cyprus
That's actually a great idea for member interaction when not having the time.
I know I have 199 discussions started But I have been thinking about writing one for few days and may start that today. I like to comment and like, I comment and like on most of the posts, comments I read! If somebody comments on me, I visit that person's writing and always leave a comment and like
• Cyprus
You sound like you have a good routine.
@thehousewife i hope so, But i really do not like these special outings and so many appointments I want to be left alone with Marty hamster and my lot and reading
• Cyprus
@Marty1 Outings are good too.
@atoz1to10 (4632)
I find it easier (sometimes) to respond to discussions than to post one that interests others, up..
• Cyprus
That is true, it is easier.
@atoz1to10 (4632)
@thehousewife Yes, but there were times I didn't know what to write for some of the discussions too...
• Cyprus
@atoz1to10 Same here. Sometimes I do a lot of reading (and liking) discussions than contributing, because I don't know how to respond to them, despite they are of good quality.
I always start at least one, but no more than two a day.
• Cyprus
Wow, that is great. I don't think I am capable of starting a discussion every day.
@thehousewife I've been doing this on one site or another since 08 so its in my blood LOL
Abby, I love the picture with you and your dog. Is your dog a lab retriever? What is your dog's name and is the dog a he or she and still around? Sorry, I got off the topic. I just could had to comment here. I love animals so if I see a picture of one I just have to ask about them.
@mandala100 (2471)
I'm pretty consistent with the number of discussion I post and the number of commnents I made.
• Cyprus
That's very good. You are doing great. Keep it up!
@thehousewife Thank you. Wish I could continue the same mode that I'm following in myLot time always permitting.
• Cyprus
@mandala100 wish you all the best!
@moirai (1352)
My profile says: discussions (19) responses (744) comments (526) So that answers your question. 10 of those 19 discussions were made this year, though. 2 last year, and the remaining 7 in the years 2011-2012. So you can say that I'm becoming more of a discussion starter than I was previously, though I still don't normally make more than 1 in a day. But I have come to the idea that it's best to have a relatively fresh one in my discussion list so people have a choice in what to participate in if they choose to when they lose their way somehow into my profile. I am still more of a responder than a discussion starter, and I must say, some of my responses are even longer than discussions.
• Cyprus
Your stats are similar to mine. Yes I can see that you give long responses. That's good. Sometimes my responses are pretty long too. Some say that those long responses should be discussions by themselves, but I prefer to give it as a response at the appropriate discussion. I think there will be less clutter in the discussion list that way.
@moirai (1352)
@thehousewife Sometimes the response is the length of, say, 5 discussions! Bahahahaha. xD But yes, I also prefer to give it as a response at the appropriate discussion. That is how it's supposed to be anyway, as I understand from the guidelines of the old, old myLot. You're not supposed to start a new discussion about a topic if it already exists. The older discussion should be the one to build and build and build upon. Of course, the times have changed. Nowadays, there are a lot of similar discussions out there on the same topic.
• Cyprus
@moirai yes, like "happy *this* day", or "good morning", or "what did you eat in breakfast?" I wish there was more variety of intelligent discussions.
@BettyB (4112)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I do a little of both. I like commenting on posts and getting a back and forth started.
• Cyprus
That is great. It takes skill to have a back and forth conversation.
@BettyB (4112)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@thehousewife I'm surprised more people don't do that. It's easier to write a one or two sentence comment than a whole post.
• Cyprus
@BettyB agreed.
@1hopefulman (15218)
I do everything. I start discussions and I look for interesting discussions or read just about anything when someone comments on my discussions. I even read this one!
• Cyprus
That's great! You are a full contributor!
@1hopefulman (15218)
@thehousewife I like to do my part to make anything better.
@sublime03 (1816)
I think i'm 50/50 with starting my own discussions and responding. It depends on my free time actually. Sometimes I get to respond a lot because the girls are napping. But when I am tied to both the girls, I just start a few discussions and get back on later to check on it. I agree with you that its nice to just go here and read discussions and respond to them without having to start them all the time. I am shy by nature with new people or to people I am not close to.
• Cyprus
I can understand. My kids keep me pretty busy too. And they never nap. That's why I am reluctant to start a discussion, because then I will have too many notifications to respond to. I seem to be able to control my time on Mylot if I only respond to discussions here and there.
@sublime03 (1816)
@thehousewife You're right that you can control your time here by just responding to discussions. I usually start one at times because I think it would be a wonderful topic to chat with other people.
@thelme55 (7820)
I am doing both but most only responding to other discussions.
• Cyprus
It is easier than making your own discussions all the time, isn't it?
@thelme55 (7820)
@thehousewife yes, it is.
There are days I am on a roll and come up with topics to discuss and lately since someone pointed out for people to get to know me I should respond to other people's topics and they are right. So, I explore and from exploring at times I get ideas for topics too. I like doing both. When someone responds to me I hope I answer them back.
• Cyprus
That's great. So you get inspired in starting new discussions when you explore others' discussions.
@thehousewife Sometimes I just have thoughts in my head that want to come out and have to go to the computer to type away and then there are times I found that I get an idea from what someone else writes here.
@Lupita234 (11880)
oh i commented and make conversations with everyone here!!!!
• Cyprus
That's very good.
jesus, you are a very friendly person and a good one too and an understand one I see.
I try to start one every day. I may try doing two now, seeing it is summer and things are a bit slow on the site.
• Cyprus
That is awesome! Yes things have been slow. I also try to respond to more discussions lately (as much as the kids allow) as the site needs more life lately. You are doing great!
@JustBhem (9897)
Well, I do all of them. I start a discussion, then followed by answering their discussion, and goes on and on.
• Cyprus
Nice way to keep the balance. Good work.
@JustBhem (9897)