A New Talent Discovered Late In Life.

My children, painted by their grandmother.
By Jabo
United Kingdom
My mother was in her 60s before she took up painting. She just got interested and joined an art class, and there were people of all ages there. We girls were all married and living in different parts of the country, so we thought it was a harmless pastime to keep her occupied. Then we had to sit up and take notice when she started producing paintings that were fairly good by any standards. She did landscapes, Spanish dancers, and a beautiful painting of the Lady of Shallot. My daughter has that on her wall to this day. She then turned to portraits, which are notoriously difficult, and proved to be good at capturing likenesses. The picture above shows her paintings of my children when my son was about 8 and my daughter 6. They looked just like that. My mother has been gone these many years, but she has left little parts of herself in the many paintings that my sisters, and our children, will always cherish. I also discovered new interests late in life - gardening and poetry. Have you found any new talents as you've got older?
Your mother's paintings of your children are so fabulous and very well done! I'm sure her work will be well cherished. I'm a talentless lump, but still enjoy life's big and small pleasures. lol
@DianneN Yes, we do cherish her work. And I beg to differ - Dianne a 'talentless lump'?? No way!!
@jaboUK It's troo. It's troo!
@jaboUK yeah...you're absolutely right.@DianneN is not a talentless lump but Talentful lamp Who give light to others.As a teacher i hope she has brought out many young talent from her student...
So good to hear your dear mother's talent was discovered even later in her life. She really did have talent. Wonderful portraits of your children. I can tear out ceramic floor tile, dispose of it all by myself, install updated ceramic floor tile, cut the tile to fit where needed, and grout that tile it like a pro. Found that out later in life.
@Corbin5 Lol - that's a talent that not many older ladies have! Well done you.
• Riga, Latvia
Your mom certainly had artistic talent. Good for her and glad you have the paintings to remember. No new talents here but I feel my writing has improved and my muses have gotten sharper for my poetry.
@RasmaSandra It's really lovely to have my mother's paintings, she put so much into them. That's good that you are improving your already existing talent.
That's great that your Mom took up a new hobby at a later age and turned out to be quite good at it.
@marlina We are proud of what she achieved, and her paintings are constant reminders of her.
@jaboUK Wonderful!
• Denmark
My mother was the same. When she retired, she discovered watercolour painting. She took part in many courses, not only in Germany but also abroad. She painted in Italy, Hungary, Turkey. She was a widow and lived alone. She got to know many new people in this way. Some of her paintings hang on the walls of the stairwell of our house up to the second floor.
@MALUSE How interesting that both our mothers took up the same hobby. My mother didn't go abroad to paint, and I should imagine that it was a wonderful experience for yours.
• Denmark
@jaboUK Yes, it was. She had always been good at needlework and things like that but not especially artistic. Yet, her watercolours improved a lot over the years. It was the best hobby she could choose.
@Asylum (46371)
• Manchester, England
I believe that Grandma Moses was in her 70s when she began painting.
@Asylum Yes, I think that is true. And I was reading the other day about someone who'd published their first novel in their 80s.
@Shiva49 (9049)
@jaboUK That gives me added hope and the needed impetus - siva
@Asylum, Yes, grandma Moses was quite old.
Yes..I have a new talent for loving each day!lol. Those paintings are great!!!
@AbbyGreenhill Loving each day is a good talent to have. Thanks for liking the paintings.
@jaboUK they really come to life.
@AbbyGreenhill, I have that talent too for loving each day, except the ones when I am "out of circulation".
She really did find a hidden talent, the portraits are great. I might still have some hidden talents, maybe one day I'll discover one. Time will tell.
You may discover something when you eventually retire. If you'd told me a few years ago that I would be gardening, computing and writing poetry in my later years, I'd have had a job believing you
@jaboUK I knew that the computing and poetry were new-found talents, but I wasn't aware that your gardening was also. You've really unearthed some hidden treasures here haven't you! I'm hoping the same for my husband, he doesn't really have any hobbies because he's always worked full time, and I do have a concern about him retiring without a hobby, that is never a healthy thing to do.
@Juliaacv Yes, it's good if you can have an interesting hobby, I hope your husband finds something. I didn't start gardening until I was in my 60s - my mother was a passionate gardener and would have been amazed, as I'd never shown any interest before. Mind you I had a physically tiring job working with horses, and was happy to put my feet up when I got home, so gardening was never on my radar.
Those are great!How wonderful to have those little pieces of your mother. No, I don't have any new skills
@paigea Yes, we are so lucky to have them. And I expect you have plenty of 'old' skills
@jaboUK my husband is the one who paints, does woodwork, repairs and upgrades to the house. He does the garden mainly. I just keep working as I don't do anything when I stay home!
@paigea That's fair enough
@garymarsh6 (12115)
I have yet to retire Janet but I have many plans for the future. Just a few more years and I will be joining you! I doubt painting will be my forte unless you like the style of Picasso or Lowry
@garymarsh6 Lol - I'm not fond of Picasso, but do like Lowry! I've never actually tried painting myself, but my elder sister has taken it up in her old age, just like Mum.
@garymarsh6 (12115)
@jaboUK Next time you are in Malaga pop into the Picasso museum you might be quite surprised. It changed my mind about him!
yes writig poetry and draising house lkants
@Hatley So your 'later life' hobbies are similar to mine Patsie.
No I have not.Though I want to but did not go along with it.
@amadeo Have you always played tennis Alfredo? That's not something you took up later on in life?
@GreatMartin (4315)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Is relaxing considered a talent? What about blogging? Seriously when I was 62 I started raising budgies, finches and cockatiels--well not that I had much to do with it except keep the parents healhty! :O)
@GreatMartin NO - relaxing and blogging don't count!! But raising birds does. I remember you writing about them, and how sad you were when you couldn't keep them any more.
@Essjayd (1168)
Wow they're fantastic! Your mother definitely had a talent for painting portraits! Having something so personal to remember your mother by is a lovely thing to have!
@Essjayd (1168)
@jaboUK They are a lovely reminder of your mother and also a beautiful reminder of your kids at that age!
Very nice paintings and, it's always cool to discover new talents.
@TRBRocks420 Thanks, I'm pleased you like the paintings.
Those are beautiful.
Thanks, @Kandae11, I'm happy that you think so
Wow! She definitely did have talent! How wonderful she was able to discover it and enjoy it, no matter how late.
Your mother was incredibly talented, because portraits are very difficult. I am thinking if I found any new talents aging. I have always liked painting, but now I have found that I also like pottery making. There is a special satisfaction in creating objects that you can use.
@LadyDuck That's good that you like pottery making - I did that when I was young, but didn't keep it up.
@jaboUK There are so many things that I like to do and so little time to do everything.
@LadyDuck I'm the same - at least we are never bored!
@LeaPea2417 (13631)
• Toccoa, Georgia
What a great painter your Mom was!
@LeaPea2417 Thank you so much for saying that
@LeaPea2417 (13631)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@jaboUK Your welcome :)
How proud you must be. My mom had some talents too. I have found some better characteristics in later life.
@jaboUK .....You betcha.