I love my butterfly bush!

When we had the landscaping done 3 1/2 years ago I asked for a pink butterfly bush, that was at the top of my list. I told the landscaper I wanted it planted where I could see it from the living room windows. Since I was battling sciatica at the time I couldn't get outside to 'supervise'. Since all the plants were young and small I couldn't tell one from the other from the window. In the spring when the butterfly bush started leaving out I realized he planted it in front of the guest room window, not where I had told him to plant it. Well, as you can see from the size of it, he probably did me a favor planting it in the wrong place! If it had been where I wanted it (in front of the railing) by now it would have totally blocked my view! Sometimes mistakes aren't really mistakes at all!
that reminds me of a house we looked at years aog lookiiig to rent but it had bushes and vines at every window so instead it was \eerie and sort of scary, musty I said no we do not want this yet my hubby had liked it. If all hat stuff concealing the windows had'been trimmed back they could have rented that house in a flash.
That is in front of the guest room which also have one of those half moon windows above the regular windows...Lots of light. A dark house can be remedied!
Patsie Hatley @Hatley I can only imagine all the spiders that must have been inside the house! Good thing that you did not rent that one.
Landscapers and gardener never listen, but not all mistakes are finally bad.
Very true...he did make a lot of other mistakes - like buying two trees that he was to plant, calling and asking for the money for them but that he couldn't plant for a few days and then he never came back - we had to hire another person to plant them.
@AbbyGreenhill Our landscapers planted several bushes that I did not ask, we still lived in France and came to check once a month. When we finally moved here, I have removed some and planted what I wanted.
@LadyDuck That was not very smart of your landscapers to plant things that you did not ask for.
Do you get many butterfly visitors?
Many.and the big ones.
@AbbyGreenhill That's great - I get mainly Red Admirals in my garden.
@jaboUK I don't know the varieties of butterflies
I am glad it worked out! And it really is very pretty!
Thanks...now I wish I had a few more put in - in front of the garage....but the spaces are now taken.
@AbbyGreenhill nowhere else they could go?
@Jessicalynnt No, we have all TN River Rock instead of dirt/mulch and we have enough bushes that stay green in winter, so we don't need to add more.
That is a good quality that you have of finding the positive out of the negative! I find you an inspiration!
Well thank you, I appreciate that. I figure, only one life, might as well try to be positive right?!
@AbbyGreenhill Your good-naturedness is starting to make me want to live like that! I do tend to look at the negative side. But am going to try and change that!
It's beautiful and yes, well placed.
And since we are so far off the road, now that its big you can see it a good distance.
@AbbyGreenhill That's great. Does it attract a lot of butterflies?
Very pretty. Does it bloom all summer? Sounds like the landscaper knew what he was doing.
Yes it will bloom till fall....Blooms get smaller later in the season
@AbbyGreenhill Very nice.
@PatZAnthony (10519)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It really looks pretty right where it is @AbbyGreenhill Guess that is where it is supposed to live.
Thanks...Yes it is where it belongs.
@LeaPea2417 (10656)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That was a good mistake he made. It looks real nice.
Yes, it was , thanks!
@sugartoes (25426)
• Greencastle, Indiana
you have a awesome garden there I would LOVE to have a butterfly bush in mine as where I can see it bush out like yours but I haven't had any luck with one I've bought 3-4 of them & NONE of them have made it as of yet. Your so right it's a GOOD thing it was planted where it is cause they DO get BIG if they aren't trimmed back every so often but I would LOVE to have a bottle brush instead or one NEXT to a butterfly bush if you haven't seen one here you go
http://www.bestplants.com.au/native-shrubs-groundcovers/slim.html SLIMâ„¢ Callistemon viminalis 'CV01' PBR. Slim is a new narrow Bottlebrush, great for screen ...
I usually trim it back in fall, but last year decided against going that - so that could be why it's so big this year. I tried the bottlebrush one and it didn't take. I like this one better.
I don't think I've ever heard of that before. But it is so very beautiful.
Thanks...I had not either u til we moved south.
Does the bush attract much wildlife like birds?
Only hummingbirds....Not sure they really get anything!
That definitely was a mistake that was of great benefit. I had a butterfly bush in the yard in our other house, but do not have one here. Yours is lovely.
Thanks..It was just a foot high when put in!
@1creekgirl (6014)
That's a beautiful plant! I haven't head of that.
The are very popular in our part of the south.
they is no where you can get some cutting from this and placed it there?
That is beautiful.
Thanks...Did you change your name ????
That butterfly bush looks really pretty.
I wish it smelled as good !!
@JESSY3236 (4045)
pretty. I was wanting to get one, but I ended getting zinnias asters and snap dragons instead.
This comes back every year so it was worth getting it and I wanted it to be seen from the road. I love snap dragons - Dolly Parton's aunt gave me seeds one year.
That is a beautiful butterfly bush that you have there Abby!
I love it thank thanks!
@sueznewz2 (8055)
• Alicante, Spain
it's lovely... I'd be sat at it for hours trying to get butterfly photos lol...