Why some women wear long sleeves even though it is so hot in here.

@ridingbet (34736)
When I and my sister went to church yesterday morning, I was in tee shirt and denim pants. The tee shirt was a bit loose (it does not show my abdominal bulge because I don’t have it), and the reason was I want air to flow in between my skin and the shirt. My sister wore the same too. But we saw many women who attended mass who wore shirts with cardigan, or jacket, or in long sleeves. Some wear hooded jackets as well. I thought (as a nurse) maybe these women are sick of malaria. But shouldn’t they be at home and rest? Then I had the wild idea why- - - they were on glutathione treatment. Or they wanted to preserve their fair complexion that is why they don’t like the sun’s rays to darken their skin. I just find it weird that some women wear long sleeves when it is so terribly hot here in my place. Well, not for me because I have a natural fair complexion and I protect myself from the sun’s rays with an umbrella. This is not a discriminating discussion. It is just my thoughts!
The only time I would ever wear long sleeves is during very cold weather and since I live in a warm climate - most of my tops are sleeveless . I do not like feeling hot.
@ridingbet (34736)
i totally agree with you. i can wear long sleeves during summer time when i am in chills; otherwise, i use loose shirts when i have fever
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Kandae11, me too , I do not like to feel hot, it seems I cannot breathe, unless so cold climate.
@ridingbet (34736)
@cacay1 understandable, my friend. your get-up in your avatar is just suitable for a fine weather.
@RubyHawk (20829)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I wear long sleeves because I take wafarin. It causes bruises and I don't want anyone to think my better half beats me. But I also see women who wear long sleeves an jackets and I'm sure all of them don't take warfarin.
@ridingbet (34736)
i take Warfarin too, but i don't wear long sleeves this summer time. i am also certain these ladies in hoods don't take warfarin, but instead, protect themselves from the sun's rays because their skin might bet burned with the application of skin whitening lotions or creams. we notice that because their faces are not naturally white.
@RubyHawk (20829)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ridingbet That's probably why. Also many women wear very skimpy blouses and jackets might be something to cover up when they go out.
@ridingbet (34736)
@RubyHawk yes my friend. i believe that is the main reason why many women here in my place wear long sleeved blouses/shirts, sweaters or jackets. they want to have their skin white because of the whitening lotion.
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We see many here dressed with long sleeves in warm weather. For some, it is a case of modesty it seems. We were taught all skin should be covered when we go to a church, but we see that is not what some believe @ridingbet
@ridingbet (34736)
if it is modesty, well and good, but if you see one lady here, so fully dressed in long sleeves even if it is on a Sunday, with their skin blushing pink, you wiill come to realize that they use the skin-whitening lotion, the one with SPF thingy. of course, we have to be dressed appropriately when attending church services, i agree. but your warm weather there is cool compared to our warm weather here, where we sweat even after coming out from the bathroom.
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@ridingbet Yes, we realize it is much hotter there and the humidity is an issue. For some older ones, could it be that they don't realize how overheated they are?
I also wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants in the house all summer. I find that I am freezing with long sleeves even though i barely put on the air conditioning. I freeze all summer and winter, and I have not been on warfin since 2002 when my doctor stopped it. Being on the medicine was absolutely freezing all year!
mayhbe ththey are fair skinned and do n0t weamt t o tan woic baffles me I dress for hot weather in clotes that are cool sjor sleevesor no slleves and large tee shirts for hot weather
@ridingbet (34736)
yes that is true. a loose and cool shirt for summer.
Were they young women or rather old? That could explain the sleeves.
@ridingbet (34736)
no, they were young adults, maybe early 30's or late 20's.
@ridingbet I could have an idea if they were old ladies. But being young, I can´t imagine why.
@ridingbet (34736)
@marguicha there are many products to whiten the skin here in my place, and i noticed these women have pinkish blushing skin which is indicative of glutathione skin application.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
I have a cousin always wear long sleeves as she is afraid of getting burnt by the sun. That is what she says. I can't believe how some people can put so many layers of clothing especially in the hot summer. Comfort is more important.
@ridingbet (34736)
we have the same idea, my friend. and we notice that if the color of their face is far fairer than their arms.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
@ridingbet You mentioned glutathione above. There are so many side effects associated with this. Some people ignore the risks just because they want to be fairer
@ridingbet (34736)
@Nawsheen that is true. a side effect of prolonged use of glutathione pertains to the skin too. any part of the body applied with glutathione should never be exposed under the sun.
Many of the churches I've visited throughout Europe required long sleeves and long skirts or pants out of a sign of respect, even in the heat. I, myself, love the heat and sunning myself, and dress for the temperature.
@ridingbet (34736)
that is good to know, but the hot temperature there may not be similar to the hot temperature here in my place. here, when it is hot, practically all corners of one's body will sweat. hahaha!
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@DianneN,Attending a mass needs an attendee to wear the best for Got, not pants.
@ridingbet (34736)
@cacay1 i wear pants but not that tight-fitting pants.
I wear t shirts and jeans in the summer when it is hot outside.
@ridingbet (34736)
that is good to know. i do use that too, but not in long sleeves with hood because i might burn with the extreme hotness.
My Mother always wore long sleeves in Church, because back in times it was considered not respectful for women to show their arms in the Church. I remember that when I was a kid, we could not enter the Church without long sleeves or a jacket.
@ridingbet (34736)
out of respect, yes, but here in my country, i believe the church-goers can wear any decent clothes, as long as no other concealed skin is exposed, like the bare midrib blouses. well, it is not only in church that we notice the women wearing long sleeves or jackets with hoods 9to cover their head). anywhere and everywhere, we see these women who i believe are glutathione users.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck ,even in our family, we go to church in a decent dress, no pants as a sign of respect for that day is for the Lord. We do not wear pants, too when entering a church and attend masses.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@ridingbet Only celebrities use gluta, it is expensive and our skin cannot be changed, it remains brown to resemble our nationality and race.
@thelme55 (10848)
We have the same thought. That is very wrong to think that having a white complexion as a Filipino is far more better than having our natural brown skin. Those women didn't know that they are poisoning there skin by using those whitening products. I am proud to have my natural brown skin. Aren't you?
@ridingbet (34736)
i am proud of my skin color my friend, although among us siblings, i have the fairest skin color. my late mother told me that i was conceived with a fair complexion because she was so fond of the ice milk (napaglihian ng gatas).
@thelme55 (10848)
@ridingbet just like me fair complexion but I don't know where I got it.
@ridingbet (34736)
@thelme55 maybe your mother? or your father?
@JustBhem (17601)
• Davao, Philippines
I wear a long sleeve to hide my AV fistula, that is why. Though I don't want to and I don't have a choice.
@ridingbet (34736)
i understand, hija. truly, an AV fistula can be a disturbing sight to some because they might not know the real reason for that.
@JustBhem (17601)
• Davao, Philippines
@ridingbet Yes, thanks to you my friend.
I am sure that those women have a valid reason.
@ridingbet (34736)
yes, and their reason is valid and real - crystal-clear too. it shows in their skin color.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@marlina, you are right
Lots of women and men wear long sleeve even if its a bit hot. Some long sleeves are thin so it works.
@ridingbet (34736)
but here in our place, it is not 'a bit hot', but very very hot. maybe in some areas where the sun shines and the cool wind is blowing.
@sol_cee (12990)
• Japan
Or maybe they don't have other clothes to wear.
@ridingbet (34736)
i don't think so. the women here are so concerned with their skin color; don't they know that the natural color of Filipinas is something worth 'dying for' by Europeans? these foreign women do sunbath all day to get dark, while we Pinays want our skin to be whiter.
@prashu228 (20489)
Hmm I cannot wear long sleeves in hot weather..those ladies only can explain it better..lol
@ridingbet (34736)
what we see is what they do. they apply the whitening lotion, or have soaped themselves with that brand name "kojic", from Japan.
@jobelbojel (4304)
I got your point. It is not a discriminating at all. You are imposing a question post or discussion. I too saw a guy who was wearing a hoodie. It was around 1 PM, and it was too hot. He was sweating while we were inside the jeepney.
@ridingbet because of the sweater. I guess he doesn't want to get burned.
@ridingbet (34736)
@jobelbojel right, he does not want his skin to be sunburned. i get it.
@ridingbet he is so vain
Was it hot indoors? A lot of people at our church will wear long sleeves they don't want to show a lot of skin.I can say times changed in a church. People come in shorts and tank tops, very casual.
@ridingbet I see nothing wrong with short sleeves, I want to be comfortable.
@ridingbet (34736)
@CookieMonster46 yes, as long as there is not much flesh exposed.
Have you seen somebody at the beach, playing in the water, wearing long sleeves shirt not rash guard and carrying an umbrella? I have, in Boracay. What kind of sickness do you think that person has?
@ridingbet (34736)
maybe that person has applied some SPF lotion to keep the person free from sunburn. if a person has skin cancer due to over-exposure to sunlight, i don't think he should stay under the sun because it might aggravate the condition.
@ridingbet Everybody who goes to the beach especially a famous one like Boracay applies sunscreen because you intend to be under the sun. I have seen several Korean people wearing long sleeves and even with an umbrella in the water! It's very silly. And people there find them weird doing that! They simply don't want to get darker and it has nothing to do with skin cancer! Very stupid!
@ridingbet (34736)
@toniganzon if that is the case, then these Koreans are not in their right minds. if they want to enjoy the water and the sun, then they should be there in early morning while the sun's rays are still golden.
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
, we have the same thinking my friend.I always see almost every day in a hot day ladies and gentlemen wearing jackets. I look at them with a big question, Why wear such kind on a hot day and all hot days?
@ridingbet (34736)
my friend, try to check on their skin color. maybe they too are on gluta treatment?
@cacay1 (31822)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@ridingbet , Ah, I just leave them alone. They might be on their wheels.
@spiderdust (2478)
• San Jose, California
I'm not familiar with the glutathione treatment... do they need to avoid the sun while doing it?
@ridingbet (34736)
the glutathione is manufactured in Japan and there are some beauty bar soaps with this content. it whitens the skin. that SPF thingy too. yes, they have to be away from the sun;'s rays when they use the glutathione.