Want to Travel the States

@noni1959 (3084)
I had a pack with a friend back when I was a teen to get a van and travel the states working as we went to see and experience everything but over the years we both married and the dream fell off. He still did some of it by moving around a lot and working in one spot a couple years then off again though not exactly what he really wanted to either. Later he divorced and began to travel around. I'm so envious. He has told me over and over lately to not let our dream go away and to get a trailer and head out. He said just come where he is now even without one and he'd be sure to get me in one to go. He'd join off and on as well. He did his traveling and now found a nice piece of land to build a cabin and settle there forever (or so he says.) I said with my health and situation, I don't think it can happen now. He told me not to use that as an excuse. I really want to and if I do retire in the next couple months maybe will head out for a few months. If I keep working, maybe I'll take a month off at least to go to some states. I just want to see so much. Do you want to travel places?
@hillhjill (4702)
That is very interesting.. my husband and I are doing that right now.. we got a van turned it into a camper and we are hitting the road.. and you should take some time off or retire and hit the road yourself.
@noni1959 (3084)
That is so awesome!! I hope you post about your travels.
@hillhjill (4702)
@noni1959 oh I will.
I loved to travel and I traveled a lot with my husband, but I do not like to travel anymore. Now that I am older I am well at home.
@noni1959 (3084)
I traveled with my parents when younger. We went to so many places but many I don't remember. I traveled with my ex to a few states but mostly it involved Harley events. I want to just go and stop when there is something interesting to visit and see. No plans. Just do.
@noni1959 I have traveled with my parents when I was young, but even more with my husband after I married. He traveled for his work, I followed him and we used to add a few days to visit the places.
@noni1959 (3084)
@LadyDuck Long ago, my ex would travel for work training to different areas and I'd take a vacation from work and go. It was fun.
@akp100 (13328)
You should full fill your dreams. Even I love to travel and discover new places. But due to work load I can not go long distance places unless I am having vacation. But still I used to go somewhere near by places during weekend for refreshment.
@noni1959 (3084)
I get a lot of vacation time with my job (8 hours added every two weeks) and I'm trying to retire out by September so I have the time to go. It's usually money or my health. I am still making out plans to hit the road as much as I can.
@akp100 (13328)
@noni1959 All the best to you for all your trips.
@noni1959 (3084)
@akp100 Thank you. Last night I was working on my goals to do this. I'm keeping the dream alive.
i've always wished to see what all these united states'd to offer. i've driven through, from louisiana to middle alaska, but 'twas 'd a time frame 'f only 3 weeks (this was back when only 'bout 200 miles 'f the alcan highway 'twas paved). i say if'n yer able, get out'n see what'cha can. live 'tis too short fer regrets 'f that nature.
@noni1959 (3084)
Sorry it's been a bit before responding. I am remaking my bucket list with the easier goals vs longer to plan ones and get out to see the world.
@noni1959 no worries, hon. i aint been'n much lately 's 'life' keeps me 'way. i hope that'cha get to fulfill yer list, ms. loretta. mine 'tis now jest a dream.
Oh Loretta, I hope you can do this. You deserve it friend..yes maybe your friend is right, dont let anything get in the way. Well I would like to travel however, I have travelled a bit and am grateful for that..not sure if it will ever happen again, but I am not crossing it off.
@noni1959 That sounds fun.
It's something you may regret for ever if you don't at least try, even if it's only for a month. I've travelled a lot and it's a great experience.
@noni1959 (3084)
I traveled here and there but usually a planned trip for a week or two. I'd love to just go and see as I travel for a month or two. I can't just go on the road for a year but it sure sounds wonderful.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Yes, I wouldn't mind doing some traveling. The farthest north I've been is Fairmont Hot Springs, BC, Canada. The farthest south has been Southern California. The farthest east has been Cheyenne, Wyoming. The farthest west has been Olympia, Washington. But now I'm pretty much a homebody now. At one time I thought about becoming a truck driver. That would have meant a lot of traveling.
@noni1959 (3084)
I was a truck driver years ago and at first it's "fun" but then not being able to really see anything because of the push to get the product delivered made the scenery a blur at times.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@noni1959 How long did you drive? Back in the late 70s and early 80s I took a job where I was flown to southern California and drove motorhomes (now called RVs) back to Spokane. I enjoyed doing it but I never took the step into driving truck. I have a friend who used to drive school bus and he trying to talk me into driving school bus. I told him no way. I hated riding the bus when I was in school, why would I what to drive one?
@noni1959 (3084)
@RichardMeister I drove fully from 1985 to 1991 and then my arthritis really kicked in. From 1985 to 1987 I long hauled and 87 to 90 I did California Coast then switched to hauling oil to the bay or Long Beach. In 1991 as my arthritis progressed, I ran vaccuum until one morning I woke up and couldn't stand up. I wound up going to college to be a social worker but wound up with the government as a glorified secretary, something I didn't want but worked (and still) for 22 years. I could have grown up in the org but chose not to since it has given me more freedom. It's a count down to retirement now. then it's on to something new but need the road trip first. I couldn't drive a school bus. I don't have the patience.
While working we never had time to go to different states but now we are see lots of thins in Oregon.
@noni1959 (3084)
Oregon is great. Living where I do, I'm close to many lakes and other wonders.
I would like to be able to do this someday too.
@noni1959 (3084)
I hope you get to someday.
I love to travel and have seen much of the US.
@noni1959 (3084)
I've been to many states but a lot of them were not in the areas I want to see. I'm thinking of going to TN this fall to spend time at Hurricane Mills, (Loretta Lynn's ranch.)