Time for Harvest

wheat field in Kansas
Marion, Kansas
It is now harvest time, and the farmers have been cutting wheat in this area for about a week. This is one image I took while driving down the road. The golden wheat is lovely to look at and the growers are in a hurry to cut it, before we get storm damage. There are other processes going on as well and I will post about them when I upload more pictures. Wheat harvest puts bread in our bakeries, grain in the silos and sweat on our brow. Growing wheat is still a major industry in Kansas.
That sure is alot of it
• Marion, Kansas
There are huge fields on both sides of the highway. We do not have a lot of big cities, just mostly agriculture.
@GardenGerty looks nice.
Yes, the farmers are right to hurry up before a storm comes and destroy their crops.
• Marion, Kansas
Wheat is such a major part of the economy. If the fields get too wet they cannot go in and cut it either.
In my neck of the woods hay is big business. We have a long season so this year they might get 4 cuttings - more money for the farmers.
• Marion, Kansas
It does sound like quite a big enterprise. I am glad they can do this. The next thing that will happen on this field is that they will bring in grain and spread it to dry.
@GardenGerty what if it rains???
Hard to think of it being harvest time when it isn't even summer yet. I didn't know it harvested so early. When is wheat planted?
• Marion, Kansas
This is hard red winter wheat, planted in the fall. It grows all winter. Harvest is whenever the grains are ripe. It can start in late May or be put off until July, just depending on what conditions have been.Both weather conditions and field conditions have an affect on it. Later soybeans, sorghum and sunflowers will be harvested.
@GardenGerty I learned something new.
We do not have wheat here in Switzerland it's not flat enough and it's not warm enough.
• Marion, Kansas
So what crops grow in Switzerland? I can understand the mountains and cool weather not being good for wheat.
@GardenGerty Potatoes, sugar beets, barley, oats. There are many areas where only grass is grown, because Switzerland has a big production of milk to make chocolate and cheese.
@HazySue (16004)
That wheat must look beautiful while blowing in a breeze, sort of like a gentle wave.
• Marion, Kansas
It is, and it is so interesting to see the combines cutting it, or see the level fields after the wheat is cut. Agriculture can be very beautiful.
@HazySue (16004)
@GardenGerty Not everyone can see the beautiful of it.
I have seen some wheat grown in our fields. Hubby said it isn't a common thing though. Farmers tend to grow more corn to feed their livestock in the winter months.
• Marion, Kansas
Corn is also grown a lot to be converted into ethanol. I do not see large crops of it here, but I hear Nebraska has a lot of it.
@GardenGerty dairy farms are abundant here and the farmers plant corn for their livestock. They also have huge hay fields as well.
Oh wow, I didn't know they harvested anything before October .... of course I don't really know that much about agriculture.
• Marion, Kansas
This is winter wheat. It is planted probably around October. Other things are harvested later.
Oh wow @GardenGerty I never even thought of that. I've heard of winter crops but I always thought those were harvested before spring.
@ilocosboy (28429)
so that is wheat field, we don't have that kind of plant in our country because what we have here is rice field and corn field.
• Marion, Kansas
I imagine the rice requires a lot of water. I had not thought of corn growing in the Philippines. Is the corn then harvested as food for people or for cattle?
@ilocosboy (28429)
@GardenGerty well maybe you know our famous rice terraces. Corn is grown here for both people and livestock, the fruit for people, and leaves for cattle. The kernel when dried is one of the ingredients for animal feed.
I guess I thought wheat was harvested later in the year.
• Marion, Kansas
There may be other varieties that are. This is what is known as winter wheat. It is planted in the fall and grows all winter and ripens in spring to early summer.
@GardenGerty oh, that makes more sense.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
We don't have any wheat fields over here. I would live to visit one
• Marion, Kansas
What kind of crops do you have?
Wheat certainly is a priority in my book as I love anything made with wheat
• Marion, Kansas
I am really fond of all kinds of bread. This wheat was introduced by the Mennonite settlers who were fleeing conscription in Russia.
A lot of winter wheat is grown in our region also. It won't be ready to be combined until early July, its still quite green because we are further north then you are.
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, exactly. Our seasons are ahead of yours, but Oklahoma is ahead of us in most everything.
• Portland, Connecticut
I don't think we grow wheat here in Connecticut.
• Marion, Kansas
Quite possibly not. It is major here in Kansas, but it is warmer here, and we have more open land.
@sueznewz2 (8901)
• Alicante, Spain
yes it would be terrible for them if it got wrecked by a storm... I used to live in an agricultural area in the uk... producing wheat and sugar beets and rape ....
• Marion, Kansas
It is a real eye opener to live where things are dependent on weather.
That's an awesome photo. I've only seen the bales of hay rolled, and that wasn't even in the USA. Just think of all the wheat we provide all over the world! Amazing.
@bunnybon7 (31631)
• Holiday, Florida
yum. good stuff but a lot of things harvested. gives off pollen not so good for our allergens but we need it just the same .
I can just imagine the rush to avoid the wheat from being destroyed. Looking forward to more photos.
@CinnamonGrl (5524)
• Paradise, California
I think it looks beautiful. I would miss the mountains, though. I'm just used to mountains. Wouldn't it be fun though, to be able to travel through all the many states and see everything the country has to offer. . .every place is so different. I'm a bread lover, I'm glad there are places that grow the wheat!
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It looks so nice in the photo. People usually have no clue all the work that goes into providing wheat for everyone wanting some @GardenGerty