What are you talking about?

what are you talking about - image Pixaby
When reading a post, have you ever had to wonder, what are you talking about? It doesn't happen often but there are occasions when I want to pull my hair out. The discussion certainly sounds interesting but as you read it you realize it is not meant for you. Usually the discussion is about events in the past that were probably mentioned in a post eons ago. Or it may be a continuation of a serial discussion that you have never followed. But somehow you are supposed to know what it is all about. So you give up don't comment or comment at your own risk. If you do comment, you could get an angry or dismissive response. Why? because you don't really know what the discussion is in the first place and you have just put your foot in your mouth. It would be nice if these "serial" discussions would add a link in each episode to the original discussion. But then again maybe the discussion was not intended for newbies or those who don't follow consistently. What am I talking about? I am sure many readers will be asking.
This happens to me occasionally where I find myself lost and not really understanding what's going on
Yes and feeling like a fish out of water.
• Denmark
I know exactly what you're talking about here. I don't know how often I've already written, "I haven't got the foggiest idea what this is about." I also 'love' discussions beginning like this, "As you all may remember . . . " or "As I told you in my last discussion . . . "
@pgntwo (19085)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It does make things a little hard to follow...
@MALUSE It can be very painful and sometimes you don't know it is a continuation until you try to comment and get a "you should know what I am talking about" or "You know my history" type of response.
• Denmark
@Freelanzer If a member pees at your leg like this, pee back.
I have run into some of those, and I just give up on them. Even those that lead with, "Most of you know," do not work for me. Most of the time I don't know.
So right I assume it is not for me but for those ho "know"
@Corbin5 When I start a discussion with most of you know I say next-for those of you that don't know and explain it. I don't want anyone confused or feeling left out.
@LovingMyBabies You never confuse me 'cause you don't leave me hangin'!
I think our discussions really need to stand alone. I don't follow any series on here. I just meander around. I don't expect anyone to keep the details of my life in their mind and don't want to be expected to do that about the lives of others.
True, we can't assume that everyone knows what we are talking about unless we only want participation from those who know.
@pgntwo (19085)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
People write as if everyone else knows where they are from... even though they deign not to fill in that bit of their profile that says they live in "Whynot, NC".
@Farcha (594)
I am a newbie in MyLot, but I try to post a little per day. I try also to give each discussion its time.
I am sure you will enjoy it here. Welcome.
@Farcha (594)
@Freelanzer Yes, Thank you.
@Nawsheen (22898)
• Mauritius
I know what you mean. Sometimes it is preferable not to answer. If i have some time i may quickly go through the past discussions. But thats not always the case
I have done that in the past - try to look for previous discussions so I could understand the post but no longer. There are too many other discussions to go through.
@Nawsheen (22898)
• Mauritius
@Freelanzer yes I agree to this
@mandala100 (16703)
@Freelanzer Yes I know what you mean. Maybe the writer is assuming that everyone understand him or her without realizing that the writing is unintelligible.
That does seem to be the case
I have written some about my son Josiah. He has hydrocephalus and will be seeing a neurosurgeon to talk about surgery. But I do explain myself like I just did, so if you missed my other discussions about it you won't be confused.
I've read many like yours and they are fine as long as I understand what the person is talking about.
Yes, it happens from time to time.
Good thing it doesn't happen for the most part
@bluesa (8265)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Freelanzer , sometimes I might put something from a previous discussion in a current discussion of mine, unintentionally. But I try to make each discussion stand on its own. Plus sometimes I just plain confuse myself.
One can refer to a previous discussion but it would help if the reader has some idea, a link or a brief explanation so they understand what they are reading. Some do it more frequently than others.
@blitzfrick (2997)
Yuppers. After finding my foot in my mouth more than once, I've learned to just move on. I'm not even curious any more about the discussion. Plenty of other discussions around here to take part in.
Yes I know what you mean. Have had to take mine out (of my mouth) plenty times but have learned to just move on to those I can comment on.
Sometimes you are not really sure of what you are reading, so you give up and move on.
That would be the smart thing to do except I have been caught and paid the price
I have read a few of these myself. Yes, it can be a bit confusing
Confusing indeed so I now leave them alone.
I hit the explore option and leave the post.
Sounds like a plan
@dramagirl26 (3311)
• Ringgold, Virginia
I've stumbled across a few of those discussions here on MyLot.
@PatZAnthony (11502)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many readers will actually know exactly what you are referring to @Freelanzer
That`s why I prefer general discussions to private online mini memoirs, but I agree it would all be more acceptable if they included a link to what they refer from the past discussion.