Best Pre Birthday Gift Ever!

It's not like I ever received a pre birthday gift in my life, but I did just moments ago. My son called with very exciting news. It appears that the ice princess's teacher had a special meeting with my daughter-in-law today. The ice princess has been reading grades beyond her classmates and her math skills soared beyond the entire third grade in standardized test scores. The school suggested she skip grade 4 next year and enter grade 5. My son and daughter-in-law discussed it, and decided a big fat no. Socially it would be a disaster. The school will provide enrichment classes for her instead. The same thing happened to my son, and we never regretted our decision. My husband's brother skipped a grade, and did very well. What is your opinion on skipping grades? The photo is from a wedding we attended Saturday in Long Island, New York.
A wise decision on the part of your son and daughter-in-law. In this day and age, enrichment classes definitely keep those who perform above grade level intellectually occupied. Also, children may be a year or two ahead academically, but may not be a year or two ahead socially.
As a former teacher, I agree with you. She would miss all her friends, and then have to deal with the social, emotional, and even physical changes a change such as that would involve.
• Lakewood, Colorado
My son skipped a grade and I let him..it didn't harm him. But I understand why it would be socially a disaster in some cases. Congrats anyway to the Ice Princess in doing so exceptionally well. You look lovely in the photo Dianne.
That's wonderful news about your son! I'm sure he was mature and extremely bright. Thank you!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@DianneN Thanks Dianne. Welcome too
• Lakewood, Colorado
@DianneN When is you bday again?
I had two childhood friends that skipped and it was a nightmare for them.
My point, exactly. Our schools haven't done it for years.
@DianneN hopefully her teachers will keep her attention and challenge her mind
@Tampa_girl7 So far, she isn't bored. She has had wonderful teachers, thank goodness. Her parents have been great teachers, too. lol
@katsmeow1213 (28466)
Our schools don't skip grades and they don't often hold kids back either, although I do know 1 student that has been held back by his parent's choice. Instead what they usually do is for math and reading the kids split into groups based on their levels. So kids who struggle will go in one group and get the help they need while kids who are advanced go in another group and get the challenges they need. Now when they get to high school level they can choose to take advanced versions of their courses and earn college credits while they're still in high school. I believe my daughter has 3 or 4 college credits already and she just finished 9th grade. My son might have 1 or 2.
It's somewhat similar here, but there are no more groups, so to speak, because the kids are quick to realize which group they are in. Instead, there are ongoing assessments in reading, for example. Common Core. The kids are tested in reading fluency and comprehension, etc. which ties in to their language arts curriculum. If a child has difficulty reading, they read certain level books which are a slight challenge to them. If they read beyond their peers, they have books to select from their level. Assessments are ongoing. I even did it with my special education students. High school is a different matter. Although I didn't teach high school, my boys were put into college level courses, based on standardized testing. Luckily, they were able to skip certain college courses.
@DianneN I just got notification that the twins have been offered to take advanced English next year. Basically every class my daughter is currently taking is already advanced except English. My son is just taking advanced math. She is not interested in the advanced English, she's worried about being able to keep up (which she'll do fine because she currently gets perfect grades in English). I haven't asked my son yet but he'll probably also say no as his focus isn't on academics and doesn't want too much time taken up with homework.
@katsmeow1213 That is a great honor. I was pulled mid semester from English class and put into advanced English with the "brains" of our school. I was so frightened and worried, but kept up and surpassed those smarty pants. It certainly looked good when I applied to colleges. I hope your daughter reconsiders. It was more fun and thought provoking than regular English classes.
@jaiho2009 (38538)
My daughter was accelerated too during her pre-school. After a month in a nursery shool the teacher told me that my daughter is ready to enter the grade school. It goes well, so she graduated primary school a year early than her batch. It's a pride knowing that our kid excel among the others
Congratulations! It is wonderful when children excel in school and turn out well adjusted.
@jaiho2009 (38538)
@DianneN yah, at first I'm also afraid if how she can manage to adopt sitting with older and bigger kids, but it turns out well. Even at work (she's now 23 and a regular employee) most of her colleagues are 5-10 yrs older than her and yet she stands out among the rest. Congratulations too
@jaiho2009 That's awesome! I hope my granddaughter turns out like your daughter.
Your son and daughter in law are smart, socially she is better off with her own peers. This also makes me wonder what it must have been like in pioneer schools when the ages were all mixed up in a single classroom. When I was made to repeat both 3rd and 6th grades it had a very bad effect on me socially, I didn't have many friends probably because of the age difference and neither of my parents understood that. Isn't it funny how in the 1800s kids just socialized with those around them regardless of age yet in the latter half of the 20th century it was deemed better to keep each age group separate. I'm not sure I would agree with that policy.
Socially, emotionally, and physically it's the best thing to do, especially in this day and age, with enrichment, of course.
But doesn't that limit kids to dealing only with their own age group rather than with the real life situations where there are people of all ages around us @DianneN ?
@rebelann Not at all. Some things are best to wait until children are older and more mature. Oh, the things my kids learned on their school bus rides to and from school with those older kids! Besides, my granddaughter knows kids of all ages from friends, friends of family, camp, ice skating, religious school, the theater, etc.
That's such great news. I'm glad he's not letting her shoot ahead. It would be a social disaster for her. Great picture and a Very Happy Birthday!
It would be awful for her. Besides, she is happy, loves her school, teachers, and friends. Thank you so much, again! It's been a wonderful and pleasant day so far. Looking forward to dinner tonight and birthday cake!
@DianneN What kind are you having? Birthday cake that is.
@just4him All white with vanilla custard center and buttercream frosting. My favorite!
@bluesa (6071)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I think enrichment classes are so much better than skipping a grade, Dianne. because my Aunt skipped a grade and did well, but her friends found it difficult to relate to her. Congratulations to your ice princess for excelling so though. And you looked fabulous for the wedding @DianneN .
Thanks for the support, Catherine. I'm sure she would do well academically, like your aunt, if she skipped a grade. However, as you know, she really has a full plate of activities now. She would be devastated leaving her friends behind, too. We shall see what the future brings. xox
@bluesa (6071)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@DianneN , Yes, my Aunt said her friends struggled to accept that she had skipped a grade. Either way your ice princess has a very bright future. xox
@bluesa Kids can be so unkind sometimes. She's happy, loves school, her teachers, and her friends. We will leave it at that and see what happens.
@nanette64 (10317)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, skipping a grade can be detrimental @DianneN on the social side but not skipping a grade also can cause boredom because the child is more advanced in learning. So it's a good thing the school is providing the enrichment classes.
I agree, Nanette. Her school is wonderful for a public school in Manhattan. They've been providing her with enrichment since kindergarten. She is a happy little pip and loves school, her teachers, and her friends. That's all that matters to us.
@nanette64 (10317)
• Fairfield, Texas
@DianneN Which is perfect.
@bunnybon7 (29754)
• Holiday, Florida
oh my what a pretty lady you are. must be quite intelegent also with family like that. yes my oldest son was like that in 5th grade. they said he could easily skip on to 7th but we thought it was a bad idea. then later he resented me for not doing it. wish they had suggested another option like in your grands case. not to brag (much) but mine did not get it from his dads side. my dad had to quit to work on the farm at 15 yrs but went on to supervise some of the reconstruction of Pearl Harbor . then own 2 businesses in '47 when i was born. when my mom was dragging me around like a gypsy, i skipped 7th and 8th grade by not going at all , then was doing really well in high school, grade 9 when i had to go live with dad. back then you could get away with that by telling them you was sending for your records. lol. can't do that these days
Thanks so much, and wow, what a story! No, these days you can't do that. lol I'm impressed with all that your dad did. I saw Pearl Harbor well after the reconstruction and can only imagine the mess it was in. Kudos to him.
@bunnybon7 (29754)
• Holiday, Florida
@DianneN yes he made enough money to come back and woo my mom that ended up marrying him for money. lol but thats another story.
@bunnybon7 Lol! Ok!
I think they made the right decision. I think she would have felt left out and like she was the new kid. It would have been tougher on her most likely. Where in Long Island were y'all? I grew up in Miller Place and Centereach, Suffolk County. =)
Thank you and I agree. It would be difficult to leave her friends. The wedding was in Jericho near Oyster Bay. I didn't realize you grew up on the Island.
@DianneN Yes until I was 19 years old, then I moved to NC with my parents. Then for the last 2 years I lived here in FL.
@LovingMyBabies That's pretty cool. I don't know much about Long Island, except the traffic! lol. I've been in Florida longer than you! We start our fifth season this year.
@Raine38 (8779)
First of all, you looked amazing! I love this picture! Love the hair, the makeup, the dress, everything! Now on to the discussion: I skipped 5th grade when I was in elementary and it was a nightmare! At least socially. My classmates then were already starting puberty, have established groups of friends, etc while I am the new student all over again in the most awkward pre-adolescence stage. The honors saw me as a threat while the bullies saw me as a target. Suffice to say I finished elementary very happy that it's over. I was never happy in school. Academically and mentally, I matured faster than my peers. I have to grow up fast to catch up. And while I have my family to support me, I learned to be independent so I can get through everyday with as little drama as possible. In the end, I cannot really decide if I regret that or not. It's helped me in some ways and it has hurt me in another.
Well, many thanks for the compliments first off, and many thanks for sharing your story. From the sad things you've mentioned about your experience, it cements our feelings about having her having to go through any of that. She has enough on her plate with her figure skating and other activities. We'd prefer she keeps her innocence for as long as possible. You sound as if you turned out just fine! As a former educator, our school system was against skipping grades, and created talented and gifted programs for those who qualified.
@Raine38 (8779)
@DianneN you're welcome! My mom is also a teacher in the public school system but when I skipped a grade she was still in school so she was not aware of its implications to me. Now that she has a clearer and better picture of what it entails from the student, she never agreed to it to any of my siblings. I agree with you, let them be kids and enjoy this time. They grow up so fast and before you know it they're already done.
@Raine38 Good for your mom! You certainly are right about how fast the time goes.
@diosabella (4835)
My godson had an exam in school. We thought it was an ordinary exam. Then the result came in saying that they recommend that he skips two grades. Every one is debating about it. I said he already skipped a grade. Skipping two more will let him missed a lot of things that a normal teenager should experience. I don't know what will happen this coming August.
That's very impressive. He must be very bright. The only problem would be dating girls in high school. He'll be so much younger than his classmates. Lol!
@DianneN He is a golden boy inside out. I know that it will be good for his records but I want him to experience things at his own pace. Everything's fast pace with him since he was a kid.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Okay its the birthday day now..
Lol! That is awesome!!!!! Thank you so much! I'm so happy I stopped by to see it. I truly had a wonderful day, and this just topped it off. and xoxoxoxoxox
• Lakewood, Colorado
@DianneN Okay Dianne welcome..see you later on maybe.
@salonga (27536)
You are lovely as ever in that photo! Regarding skipping grades, I support your decision to say no. I think it is better for your princess to stay with kids of her age rather than to be with older kids.
Oh, thank you!! She's happy where she is and that's where she'll stay, at least for the next few years.
@salonga (27536)
@DianneN And let me greet you dear, Happy Birthday. Stay beautiful and blessed!
I too would be skeptical about it if it happens to my daughter to skip a grade. But then, the teachers are the best judge since its them who sees that capability of the child though. So maybe it should be a Yes, since your brother skipped a grade and did very well.
We decided that it wouldn't be good for her. She'd be the youngest in a class of more physically, socially, and emotionally older children. That's not good. She's happy in her school, loves her teachers and friends, and will get enrichment.
@DianneN That's a nice decision.
@Nawsheen (19723)
• Mauritius
That's great news indeed. I am happy for the princess. Thats an achievement. The advantage with skipping grades is that the child will get to finish his/her education earlier. But if it was for me I would prefer not to skip any grades. Thats a great picture of you
Thanks so much! We are happy, flattered, and proud of her, but there is no rush in finishing school early. She would be devastated not being with her classmates, too, besides all the other problems.
@Nawsheen (19723)
• Mauritius
@DianneN Happy Birthday. Best wishes
Thats awesome! What a smart girl! I do agree with the no. I could never let my kid skip a grade. No matter if they were smart enough or not.
Thank you! You are wise to think that way. We aren't going to tell her this. There is no way she needs to know. We just want her to love school, her friends and for her to be happy and innocent.
@DianneN right. No reason to tell her.
@Elizaby (3089)
• Pensacola, Florida
Happy Birthday. It depends on the maturity of a child if they could handle advancing a whole grade or not
She could handle it, but her plate is so full with figure skating and off Broadway performances. It's best to wait and see at this point. She's unstoppable! lol
• Eugene, Oregon
I think that it is a bad idea for socialization reasons. It worked out okay for my wife and a few of her friends though when she went to school in Granada Hills, CA. I suspect it helped that there was a group of them. Very nice photo of you!
That is wonderful to hear. I'm sure being in a group of friends helped your wife quite a bit. My little granddaughter loves her teacher, friends, and school. I think she'd do fine academically, but socially and emotionally would not be too cool at her age. Besides, her plate is so full with ice skating daily, off Broadway performances, tap dancing, religious school, parties, etc. I truly don't think it's the right time for her. Aww, thank you!