Let's Just Call It Old World Style

I do have a pressure washer. I used to pressure wash our patio, sidewalks, driveway, garage floor, and anything else walked-upon or driven-upon that was made of concrete in our last house. No way am I doing all that work for this house, that's for sure. I am done with the pressure washer. I am also not hiring anyone to pressure wash anything for me. I am going for the Old World style of decorating regarding outdoor concrete in this Spanish-style brick ranch house of ours. Old World design is a broken-in, comfortable look that clearly shows use due to wear and tear. The former owners had a professional do the staining of the sidewalk, patio, driveway, and concrete porch with a Spanish-inspired Terra-cotta color. Our Terra-cotta concrete areas could use a good pressure washing, but I allow those areas to look like they have suffered a lot of use in my quest for Old World style. Those who may question my stained concrete that looks rather dirty and spotted with tree sap here and there, my answer will be, " I planned for these areas to be designed to reflect the trending Old World style." Works for me! Photo: Not gonna' pressure wash that walkway!!!
I wouldn't want to pressure wash that either!! Oh this has been years ago now.. My brother pressure washed the patio that was in front of our home... I'd say I was 12 so atleast 18 years ago! He did it once, and I don't think he wanted to go to the trouble again. It sure shined pretty after it was done though.
It really does make concrete look like new, but it takes hours to do all. One lesson I learned is to never spray dirt of your foot with a pressure washer. Hurts like crazy and leaves a big red mark that lasts for days.
@Corbin5 I'll take that into consideration if I ever take up pressure washing! I would imagine it hurt! There was one time, several years ago, when our washer stopped working. I had one article of clothing that needed tending to and so got the genius idea to boil water and then put said water in a stopped up sink. Sounds innovative right? Well it was until some splashed out of the pot and onto my ankle! Ouch!
@ScribbledAdNauseum Ouch is right! I have done things like that too!!!
@CoralLevang (37421)
It's a natural patina and is all the rage!
Hooray!!! Rarely to have something that is all the rage!!! That is very good news!
@CoralLevang (37421)
@Corbin5 Just use words like "patina," "antiquing," and "finished." ;-)
@Deepizzaguy (6859)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I am an old fashioned thinker myself.
Well, some things, not all, look pretty interesting if they have a well-worn look.
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@Corbin5 You are right if it looks nice to the owner.
Sounds like a good plan to not do some cleaning! I approve!
Thank you my friend. I appreciate your support.
Looks fine to me.
Well, it has swirls in it and I can see the dirt in the swirls, but I bet when the world was old, that is what concrete looked like, so I am good.
@Corbin5 true. If you like it then thats all the matters.
My outside has that nice green look on the North side with the deck on the old world style! I am not sure how ling I will live here, for some reason I do not feel I will stay here a long long time.
We have the green stuff too; I think it comes from the neighbors oak tree, but not certain. I will just leave it because the work involved in cleaning all ends with aching feet and one heck of a backache for me.
@Corbin5 How well I understand. I just cant make the time.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
There is no need to pressure wash. It looks good to me
Thank you. I will just leave it as it is.
@UncleJoe (7785)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
We haven't had a pressure washer since the kids got old enough to bathe themselves.
So glad the kids are now self-bathers!!!! I learned not to spray my foot with the pressure washer to wash away splattered dirt. That hurts and leaves a big, red welt.
I prefer the old world style myself, just as man has intended!
Well, it goes quite well with the brick arch leading to the Terra-cotta stained porch, so I will just let all age gracefully.
I like that look, not everything should be blasted with a pressure washer.
The look is growing on me. The house really does have a Spanish flair to it, with the brick arch leading to the front porch, so will just stick to the Old World style.
It looks perfectly fine to me.
Well, I think I am improving. I am a bit OCD regarding my home, so I am quite proud I am just going to leave it the way it is.
@franxav (3499)
We have the old style outside and inside as well.
I am beginning to like the Old Style.
@moffittjc (33037)
• Gainesville, Florida
Looks good to me.
Well, spots of sap there and dirt in the swirl pattern definitely has me thinking Old World.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think that sounds like an excellent idea but I had my power wash his shed and our white fence.
Now, I would let my husband do it, but that will never happen, so Old World style it will be.
@Hate2Iron (7310)
Love it... so inviting!! I think that we need a power washer too! Could be some fun on a hot afternoon too!
Well, a person does get a great tan using a power washer, but since the process takes forever, the back and the feet ache for days after the job is done.
I would not live like that at all. I am wondering if your joking. But I am not sure the image looks way too nice for me to vision that run down way of living.
Well, would never let my home fall into disrepair, but if a person wants to do away with the upkeep of a house, then all they have to do is say that their home is done in the Old World style.
I never even heard of a pressure washer until I met my us and and he used one..I was hooked! His house was in the city so lots of cement to clean. When we moved south I had to buy one and he says I'm the only person in country that power washes any cement I can find...this house we have a ton of cement - too much actually. I have not used it yet this summer but I will and when I start I can't stop.
I really do think that pressure washer comes in handy, but at this point, I am kind of done. When we had the pool in our last house, I did all concrete surfaces, but not as concerned about a worn look these days.
@Corbin5 We power wash two days a year - one day is front porch and sidewalk and the second day is back porch and most of the cement around the pool house. So far we haven't had time or right weather to do it.
@KristenH (19091)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Way to go Deborah!
Thank you, my friend. The concrete does have some spots of sap and of course dirt in the swirls, but I am beginning to appreciate that look.
@KristenH (19091)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 My pleasure!
@KristenH (19091)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 You're welcome anytime.
That would work for me too. lol
The hours and hours it takes to pressure wash concrete definitely sucks the life out of a person.
@Corbin5 I can imagine.
I am going to rent a pressure washer as soon as I have the extra cash. I want to do the deck and the porch. I am going to do some of the lattice as well. I have tried scrubbing some of this stuff, but the pressure washer will make the job so much easier..
Yes, the scrubbing does not work as well as pressure washers. Everything will be looking good after you do the job.